• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowbird/Alta - 4-23-10 through 4-25-10

Jenny

Angel Diva
https://picasaweb.google.com/jjlahaie/Snowbird2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_Cgoa43ovsngE&feat=directlink

OK - If this works, it's a link to the pictures I took this past weekend.

We started out at Snowbird on Friday, after a relatively uneventful flight. Only about two hours of delay in Denver, and no luggage, but it arrived by 9:30 or so Thursday night, so everything was fine.

Friday was extremely poor visibility - picture skiing with a white t-shirt over your face! Mostly it was cloud cover, because it wasn't snowing that hard. Jim and I started out in the morning, just the two of us, and then met up with perma-grin and Skisailor at 1:00. We had a GREAT time - and many thanks to perma-grin for her tips on where to start the next morning. We were able to get to everywhere we wanted to at the best times! But on this day we pretty much stayed on the Gadzoom lift and played around there.

Saturday was the kind of day that I went out west in April for - warm, blue sky, not much wind. It was FABULOUS! By now Floridakeysskibum (FKSB from now on) had joined Jim, Skisailor, and me. We started in Mineral Basin, where, after a run down the Junior Powder Paradise I got brave and traversed over a little further, into the ungroomed area. Nice and soft, but not too soft, so I was fine. The next time I went even further, but when the other three started to get over toward the Bookends I bowed out.

After a few runs down that side, we took the traverse the other direction, toward the Baldy lift (closed). I do NOT like traversing, by the way, and it was here that I discovered I like it even less when the open area is to the right side of me and I can't see anything except the cliff edge. Plus, I don't know why they have to have hairpin turns!

Over here I mostly stayed on the groomed part of the run, but the others did at least a couple of runs in the general vicinity of Double Downs. I'm so glad that Skisailor and FKSB were with us, because it meant Jim got to do some of the harder areas without feeling like he had to stay with me, and he had partners in case something happened. (Although later, at Alta, I was wondering if I should let him hang out with FKSB since she suggested he straightline down one of the runs and he, of course, did.)

After we were done back here we moved on to the front, and probably took Chip's Run down to lunch. It was at this point that I realized I also don't like the open space on a traverse when it's to my left and I can't see over the cliff edge. In addition, this was the first time I actually saw what I had skied (skiied? How DO you spell that, anyway?) the day before, in the clouds. Holy crap!

Anyway, it was off to the Little Cloud lift after lunch, where we spent most of the rest of the afternoon playing around with Mark Malu Fork, some of the area closer to the Gad Valley (whatever they could traverse to) and then to the other side of the lift and Regulator Johnson.

Sunday morning we went to Alta - they only had two lifts running, so we only got to see a little bit, but it was enough to make me want to go back. At lunch Skisailor had to leave, so she gave us a ride back to Snowbird where the two remaining Divas and my Diva dude spent the afternoon on the Little Cloud lift again.

It was on Mark Malu Fork where Jim got a HUGE burst of adrenalin as he tried to build up enough speed to get up a hill at the bottom. As he went over a hump he got big-time air (much more than he was expecting) but he landed it like he knew what he was doing! FKSB and I looked on and when we got down to the bottom he had the biggest grin on his face - although he did admit that his heart was pounding! I'm not sure he's stopped smiling yet.

Once it got too mushy we said goodbye to this season - but this time it didn't feel too early. The trip was everything I wanted it to be - I met another Diva (Skisailor), got to spend time with two others that I had met before (perma-grin and FKSB), sat out on the deck in the sun, looking at the snow, challenged myself on the slopes and just had a GREAT time.

Also got a headstart on next season by having my boots fiddled with - I think maybe the quad fatigue problem is taken care of now. and I have questions for perma-grin on ramp angle, but I'll save those for another time.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, I enjoyed those photos. I haven't been to Snowbird/Alta for years. I am planning a trip for 2010/11.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great TR! Loved the pics. Certainly sounds like a great time for all involved. :jealous:

I'm trying to figure out how to meet up with JC (Tahoe ski buddy) in SLC some time next season. He hasn't skied anywhere in Utah yet. I want to ski Alta mid-winter sooner, rather than later.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Utah

Jenny, those photos are wonderful! Haven't been to Utah this year, so your pictures provided a sense of what I missed and created lots of envy...it's OK to covet among Divas isn't it? Glad you had a great time!:jealous:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Sound like you had a wonderful time Jenny - loved your pictures!

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All of your photos are great (clarity and all)! What camera do you use? Thanks for sharing. It really looks like you had a wonderful time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Looks terrific! Glad you could get together with some other Divas, too!

Jenny

Angel Diva
All of your photos are great (clarity and all)! What camera do you use? Thanks for sharing. It really looks like you had a wonderful time.

Thanks all! Camera is Fuji F100. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like about it (and the other Fujis I've had) is a tendency toward a bluish cast if I don't adjust the white balance. This one has lots of settings, though, so I just put it on "Snowy Scene" and started clicking.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Hey!

Been away from my computer for a few days, but just wanted to say - great job Jenny! You did a wonderful job capturing our weekend with great pics. Thanks so much for putting this together. I had a blast.

Looking forward to skiing with you, FKSB and Mr. Jenny next season.

:smile::smile:

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the photos!! I need to steal a few to use as my facebook profile, especially the one with the three of us with goggles on, and my balls on my head! too funny! can't wait to do it again, and again, and again:smile:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Will try to add a supplemental trip report to yours without being too picture redundant this weekend.

Of course . . you know how non-computer savvy I am, so keep your fingers crossed.

:D

Jenny

Angel Diva
They're crossed - I can't wait to see the pictures.

If you have some that aren't as zoomed in as mine (in Mineral Basin, showing the whole thing, for example) I'd really like to see them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Nice - I really like the one showing the two traverses.

And I had no idea the cat track was actually that wide - I'd have sworn it was only half that size!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Skisailor,

Thanks for the pics. One day I'll have to go check out Mineral Basin. Usually just stay at Alta.

I found Snowbird and Alta to be totally different ski/terrain/snow/trail experiences, despite the fact that they are neighboring resorts~

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's obviously an error in one of your captions! It says "Jenny, FKSB and Mr. Jenny. Beautiful first tracks for the early arrivals in Mineral Basin". You must mean "beautiful first tracks FROM the early arrivals" 'cause Jenny doesn't DO early! :laugh:

I so much wanted to do a late season trip. Seeing these pictures, I know why -- and what I missed. Thanks for sharing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I so much wanted to do a late season trip. Seeing these pictures, I know why -- and what I missed. Thanks for sharing.

Never too early to plan for next spring. :wink:

I'm still checking the snow and weather forecast for Alta/Snowbird daily. :eyebrows:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna