• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowbasin Parents - Is the youth ADP Alpine Dev. Team/Program worth it?

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
We are return season pass holders to Snowbasin (Utah) with 3 kids; ages 6, 10 and 13 who have fallen in love with skiing. This last month 2 out of the 3 (if I'm hauling 2 of them 45 minutes away up the mountain every Sat. for 12 weeks, then ALL 3 are going) expressed interest in possibly doing the ADP program, and I am wondering if any Snowbasin regulars have any experience with it?

It will set me back $3600 which is a little cringe-worthy, whereas renewing season passes would be much less expensive. I'm hoping it will push them more than if they were to ski with me, give them the opportunity to interact with others their age/level, and hopefully help them avoid developing bad habits. They're currently comfortable with Strawberry, John Paul, etc,...but I'm not sure where that would align with this program. Snowbasin was helpful with answering my questions, but I'm hoping someone here has some insight?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We will be going into our 3rd year of the program this coming season. I have overall had a very good experience with the program. The kids don't have to be on a specific level to get something out of the program. My kids have learned really great technique. They do an evaluation the first day of the program and sort kids into groups based on ability. Even if your kids are comfortable skiing the blacks on JP, I would say they could still get something out of it.

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
We will be going into our 3rd year of the program this coming season. I have overall had a very good experience with the program. The kids don't have to be on a specific level to get something out of the program. My kids have learned really great technique. They do an evaluation the first day of the program and sort kids into groups based on ability. Even if your kids are comfortable skiing the blacks on JP, I would say they could still get something out of it.

This is very helpful. I'm looking for technique improvement more than anything. I don't think I'm the best one to judge whether or not they are developing bad habits/good technique, and feel that having an instructor would help. My youngest one is not quite doing blacks. She is getting comfortable on Strawberry, Sweet Revenge, Becker, etc, but she is mostly driven by not being show up by her older brothers. Whereas I worry about my 10 year old living to die another day. I'm glad to hear from another parent that they truly do break them out by level after having an eval.

Did your kids ever get tired of the program, or were they typically excited to go every week?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the most part my kids were excited to go every week. My kids are 7,7 and 9, so some weeks we needed extra motivation. But they liked their instructors and skiing with their "team"

I guess its hard to say whether a kid has good habits or bad habits. but in general I can speak to my 9 year old. 2 years ago, she liked skiing easier blacks like Moose Mound, but mainly just liked going fast and skiing mostly in a wedge with some carving. With the ski school, it helped her not wedge and actually learn proper parallel technique.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna