• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snow for Labor Day 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
Still on it's way. Could get significant depth down to 4000 ft, which is pretty low in September. Perhaps even a few inches in Denver!

Here's a long explanation of the entire storm system by a young meteorologist who lives in CA. Posted on Sept. 6 so already a little out of date.

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend outside Salt Lake City sent a picture of snow on the peaks looking out of her house! It was 90 yesterday! And the air quality from the California fires kept her inside all day. Whatever the weather is you can count it will change!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tree in my front yard -- stuff hanging down is as close as 6 inches to the street, usually about 7 feet up. I was planning to have the trees trimmed as soon as their leaves turn. I hope the branches are able to get through this storm intact.
20200908_212829.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
We were supposed to be backpacking in the Wallowas right now but with this arctic front, we hunkered down to wait it out. Temps down into the teens and winds of 50 mph. I will give that a pass when backpacking. Dry as a bone here though.

I hope @Kimmyt's garden is okay. What happens to tomatoes when they are snowed on?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were supposed to be backpacking in the Wallowas right now but with this arctic front, we hunkered down to wait it out. Temps down into the teens and winds of 50 mph. I will give that a pass when backpacking. Dry as a bone here though.

I hope @Kimmyt's garden is okay. What happens to tomatoes when they are snowed on?

My husband and I spent some quality time two days ago doing our best with the garden. I harvested most of the tomatos, including green ones. Anything with a blush on it will ripen on my windowsill, and the purely green ones I will make into fried green tomatos (for blt's) or salsa. I have several colanders of cherries and slicing tomatos in varying stages or ripeness on my counters. I brought inside all of my succulents from the deck, that i usually have outside all summer, and my lemon tree. I had my tomatillos in pots, and I haven't been able to harvest them yet as they got off to a late start. We used the garden wagon to move the grow bags into the shed (2 tomatillos, 1 watermelon with three fruits on it, 1 cantelope that decided to last miunute throw out another 2 fruits but I'm not sure if we will get enough time to ripen them). I'll put them back outside this weekend when its 80 again. There were still a few regular tomatos on the plant I just left on, and tons of cherries, so we wrapped the whole garden plot in a big tarp and several blankets underneath. I'm not holding my breath, but if they are saved then we'll have more tomatos once we work our way through the other ones. Our peppers did terrible this year, so it wasn't a huge loss, and our cucumbers and green beans were mostly done anyway. I left the kale, it should survive a few days of cold, and threw a blanket over the cabbage as I wasn't sure how it would handle the cold temps. Carrots should be fine and the lettuce seeds I just planted for fall should actually love this moisture.

I did have to spend some time this morning in my bathrobe and snow boots, knocking 3-4" of heavy snow and ice off my poor baby trees in my yard that were near bent in half with the weight on their leaves. Most of them should recover, though one of our maples was tall enough I couldn't get it completely straightened so it might be crooked for the next year until it straightens up. We'll see.

Fun times!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna