• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snot management?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing makes my nose run.

I’m curious how others manage their snot while skiing. Especially as I’m going on a hut trip and I don’t want my gloves to look like biohazards.

Are there skiing hankies? I googled it and didn’t find much.

what’s a diva to do with her snot?

I can farmer blow- but some grown on that.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My nose is a faucet when skiing AND biking. Steroid nose spray does help.

Christy

Angel Diva
The fact that ski areas have tissue dispensers at lifts makes me think it's something that happens to everyone. I suppose you could take an antihistamine to see if that dries you up. I just blow my nose a bunch though. Since I am outside that seems okay to me. It's not like sitting at a desk in an office or being in a movie and constantly blowing my nose.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fact that ski areas have tissue dispensers at lifts makes me think it's something that happens to everyone. I suppose you could take an antihistamine to see if that dries you up. I just blow my nose a bunch though. Since I am outside that seems okay to me. It's not like sitting at a desk in an office or being in a movie and constantly blowing my nose.
My mountain doesn’t have tissues! That sounds nice.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh how funny! Mine do so I thought that was common. Sometimes in the lift lines, but I know of at least one at the top of a lift where everyone buckles up. They are usually on top of a metal stand.
I have never heard of such a thing!
I just keep Kleenex in my pocket or when it's cold just use my glove.
I saw a little kid use his tongue to sweep away a big juicy one.

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant has big metal, stainless steel dispensers and garbage. It's amusing to look at the stickers and see what you recognize.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
For x-c skiing, I have my trusty "snot rag" - just a piece of anything (old sheet, whatever) attached by a safety pin to the pole strap. This lets me "blow" or whatever is needed without even stopping! I feel this method is simply too uncouth (it's not very pretty) for downhill skiing - though I seem to produce less snot than when I'm on a x-c trail. I think there are some gloves/mitts that have a nose-wiping area on them.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For x-c skiing, I have my trusty "snot rag" - just a piece of anything (old sheet, whatever) attached by a safety pin to the pole strap. This lets me "blow" or whatever is needed without even stopping! I feel this method is simply too uncouth (it's not very pretty) for downhill skiing - though I seem to produce less snot than when I'm on a x-c trail. I think there are some gloves/mitts that have a nose-wiping area on them.
I’ve been looking at reusable tissues and thinking I might sew up souvenir snot cloths as a surprise for all of my hut trip buddies. There is some cute skiing flannel on sale right now. I like the pole strap attach idea!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I have to blow my nose a lot. A few weeks ago, someone asked in my running club for advice on congestion, because this was her first year of running in winter and she noticed more congestion. People suggested using a humidifier at night and to use a neck gaiter over your nose until you warm up a bit. I thought, ah-hah, I will try these tactics, too! *Maybe* I've noticed a slight improvement in my runny nose or it could be the power of suggestion :smile: I also started using a half-sized cotton handkerchief that is a good size for my jacket pocket and I think the hanky is less irritating on my nose than tissues (especially the 1-ply tissues found at ski resorts that get bedraggled after one blow).

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I’ve been looking at reusable tissues and thinking I might sew up souvenir snot cloths as a surprise for all of my hut trip buddies. There is some cute skiing flannel on sale right now. I like the pole strap attach idea!
FWIW, a lot of ski areas now sell hankies that are imprinted with the ski area's trail map. TSV also has tissue dispensers at every lift. I basically just sniffle a lot, LOL.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bushman's hanky. Although now I think of it I don't get snotty in the cold; instead i get to be allergic to the tropics. Where I live. Yay.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to take two Benadryls before skiing when I first started teaching. My drippy nose was so embarrassing. The pills helped, and they did not make me drowsy at all.

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I‘ve seen a woman who has made bandana cuffs for her wrists- don’t know if she Velcro’s them, or if they have snaps or what. They look pretty cool , and seem to work well for her. I have been tempted to try something like that. I just carry about 3 hankies. The snot is perpetual!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing