• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Smith I/OS with Chromapop Review

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season is over and I've ordered the Storm Yellow Flash replacement lens on sale. I'm just hoping for the best and wishing Smith would bring back the Blue Sensor Mirror. I might even order a clear lens for flat light days if this one isn't worth it. I like the way the Smith goggles fit my face, but I will switch to a different brand if I can't see. I'm in the East, and flat light is the reality.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My season is over and I've ordered the Storm Yellow Flash replacement lens on sale. I'm just hoping for the best and wishing Smith would bring back the Blue Sensor Mirror. I might even order a clear lens for flat light days if this one isn't worth it. I like the way the Smith goggles fit my face, but I will switch to a different brand if I can't see. I'm in the East, and flat light is the reality.
I ski mostly in Tahoe so not dealing with flat light all that often but would like a good option for low vis/flat light when other places. I really like the way the Smith IO/S goggles fit my small face. And now that @marzNC "trained" me on swapping out lenses, I can actually do my own....
If anyone can find the blue sensor mirror, LMK....... meanwhile will look at Storm Yellow Flash....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It could work. Oakley responded to complaints about Rose prizm being too dark (for its intended use anyway - I use it in sun) and came out with the HI Pink prizm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have been using the Chromapop Sun Platinum Mirror a lot in the last week (Bachelor, Mammoth). Work very well in full sun. Very bright since it's late season.

As for the Chromapop Everyday, it's certainly versatile. But I agree that the Blue Sensor is much better in flat light. I also tried a Red Sensor that I've had for a while and that was terrible in flat light. Now I remember why I haven't use it much at all.

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been using the Ignitor lenses for a few years and they have been OK, but I’ve been itching to try some others that are better suited for specific conditions. The love fest with the blue sensor has convinced me to give those a try - I’m on the east coast, so plenty of cloudy days for us. I found the blue sensor lenses on sale for $14! (I have the discontinued Cadence goggles) Given the price, I’m going to give the red sol-x ones a try as well. I think my sensitive blue eyes will be happy with this purchase. Thanks divas for the enabling :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Where did you find blue sensor if you don't mind me asking?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I can't even find them on the Smith website. Was this recently?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The lens is for the Cadence goggles. They do have that lens now, so guessing you were looking for a lens for a different goggle.
Oh yes. I'm looking for the lens to fit the Smith IO/S.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just for fun, I sent a comment to Smith via the contact webpage on the website. I said that I'd tried using the Chromapop Everyday lens in flat light and much preferred the Blue Sensor. I don't have the Storm. The reply came relatively quickly and was friendly. Here's the somewhat technical part of the reply:

"The Chromapop Storm is the lens that has essentially taken the Blue Sensor and Red Sensor lenses place. The Sensor lenses were specifically designed for overcast/cloudy conditions, such as the Chromapop Storm. Although the Everyday lens can be used in lower-lighting, it is not 100% designed for that. The Sensor lenses are rose lenses and so is the Chromapop Storm. The Everyday lens is a brown lens . . ."

The fact that the Storm is a rose lens, and I don't particularly like the Red Sensor, probably explains why the Blue Sensor is much better to me and other Divas.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks for checking in with Smith @marzNC ....I definitely will need a lens for Switzerland as sometimes a whiteout or very flat light. Alps are mostly above tree line and visibility is definitely an issue when sun isn't out. Wonder if I should try the Chromapop Storm?

marzNC

Angel Diva
The fact that the Storm is a rose lens, and I don't particularly like the Red Sensor, probably explains why the Blue Sensor is much better to me and other Divas.
Ack! What I meant is the Storm is not going to be as good as the Blue Sensor for people who don't like the Red Sensor that much. I haven't tried the Storm yet. Only the Chromapop Everyday and the Sun Platinum.

I still have a decent Blue Sensor lens and a spare. The spare is not for sale. :wink:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried experimenting last season on flat or stormy days, switching between IO/s rose and just plain yellow lenses. I want to give that comparison more attention this coming season because so far it's been inconclusive. That is, I'm not at all sure that the fancier rose lens is any better than the cheap yellow one.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I tried experimenting last season on flat or stormy days, switching between IO/s rose and just plain yellow lenses. I want to give that comparison more attention this coming season because so far it's been inconclusive. That is, I'm not at all sure that the fancier rose lens is any better than the cheap yellow one.
I guess the question is if anyone reading really likes the Red Sensor or a rose lens. Somebody thought it was a good idea for some reason.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"The Chromapop Storm is the lens that has essentially taken the Blue Sensor and Red Sensor lenses place. The Sensor lenses were specifically designed for overcast/cloudy conditions, such as the Chromapop Storm. Although the Everyday lens can be used in lower-lighting, it is not 100% designed for that. The Sensor lenses are rose lenses and so is the Chromapop Storm. The Everyday lens is a brown lens . . ."
Well, that's disappointing.

I still have a decent Blue Sensor lens and a spare. The spare is not for sale. :wink:
And so is that!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna