• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Smith I/OS with Chromapop Review

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been thinking a want a photochromic lens for my I/OS like DH has in his POC goggles, because it feels like every day I switch to my Red Sol-X Mirror lens, the clouds roll in after I'm on the hill and I'm wishing I had left the Blue Sensor Mirror in there. But considering the price of a photochromic lens, seems I might be better off just getting new goggles, maybe with an Asian fit, which I didn't know existed when I bought my I/OS and I think that might be just the thing for my undersized nose.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do those of you who have the photochromic lenses like them? Last year, I borrowed a friend's Casco helmet with an integrated photochromic type lens. It didn't change very fast from bright sun to shadows.

How is the Smith?

Eupatoria

Diva in Training
Do those of you who have the photochromic lenses like them? Last year, I borrowed a friend's Casco helmet with an integrated photochromic type lens. It didn't change very fast from bright sun to shadows.

How is the Smith?

I think the Smith phtochromic lenses are quite nice for most conditions, but, once again, I would not wear them for bright sun. My eyes are quite sensitive, however, so I need specialized sun protection lenses.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would like the Blue sensor. I'm watching the comments here to see what everyone likes before I order.
For what it's worth, I use the Blue Sensor a fair amount when there are clouds around. Also have the Red Sensor but for me the Blue is better. I use the Red Sol-X Mirror for sunny days.

One reason I got interested in the I/OS was because the Igniter Mirror is good under the lights. I was skiing more at night in the southeast at the time.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I broke my original Blue Sensor lens.then found the Blue Sensor 2 on E-Bay. Turns out it's quite a bit darker than the original Blue Sensor, so it's great for those partly cloudy days. I finally emailed Smith, who had me send the broken lens back so they could inspect it. They ended up replacing it with the original BS at no cost. Now I have cloudy/night, partly coudy, and bright sun lesnes. I've been very happy with the goggles and lenses.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One cloudy day, I tried the Yellow Storm Chromapop in the store, comparing them to the Blue Sensor I had in my IO/S. I really preferred the Blue Sensor over the Yellow Storm.

When I tried to order another Blue Sensor from the website, it says Backordered. I called Smith to see if they are discontinued or on backorder. Bad news. No more Blue Sensor. Great. $95 for a replacement lens that isn't as good (IMHO) as the Blue Sensor.

Now, the good news. The Smith CS rep said, "Sorry you didn't like the Storm lens. I have a pair of Chromapop Everyday Rose here. Can I send it to you? They are very similar to the Blue Sensor. No charge, of course." "Uhhhh, sure!"

After a flat light day in the Northeast, I find the Chromapop Everyday Rose to be interesting, but doesn't let in as much light as the Blue Sensor. The definition of the snow in flat light is better with the Blue Sensor. While the Chromapop Everyday Rose is, well, rosey, the view out of the top third of the lens is more yellow than rose. Very strange, but it doesn't take long to get accustomed to it. Yesterday was a brighter day, with high, thin clouds, and the Chromapop Everyday Rose was quite nice.

And as much as I am blown away about the exceptional customer service at Smith Optics and I certainly appreciate the free lens, I still prefer the Blue Sensor lens for flat light days.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A second review of the Chromapop Everyday Rose is not favorable either. I skied in Austria in flat light with the Everyday Rose. I was very disappointed. In really flat light conditions, it is impossible to see ANY definition on the snow.

Although I carry my boots to Europe, I leave my skis, poles and helmet at my friends' house in Germany so that I don't have to pay the $100 baggage fee each way. I also left my older Smith goggles with a Blue Sensor lens there.

I did a direct comparison between the lenses one day on the mountain. Blue Sensor wins, hands down. I could see depth with the Blue Sensor that the Everyday Rose washed out.

Interesting observation about the Chromapop, my friend skis with a red helmet, but the Everyday Rose makes the color look more coral. The trees are really green and the sky is blue, but it has a fake color look, like a badly edited photo.

Sigh, I really like the way the I/OS goggle fits me. And I love the Smith Customer Service people. Decisions, decisions.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So pissed that they discontinued the Blue Sensor lens! I scratched mine this year, right in my sight line, and have no idea how I did it. They were fine, and then they weren't.

I haven't found anything else I like as well for our flat light days.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So pissed that they discontinued the Blue Sensor lens! I scratched mine this year, right in my sight line, and have no idea how I did it. They were fine, and then they weren't.

I haven't found anything else I like as well for our flat light days.
@volklgirl - you may be in luck. Try searching this on ebay (below), seller is "choosemart." If you can wear the Vice frames, there's your Blue Sensor. Just got these about 6 weeks ago, still available.

• Smith Optics Vice Snow Goggles w/ Anti-Fog Dual-Lens - Hand Built in the USA

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@volklgirl @MaineSkiLady :. I love the way we ladies have each other's backs. Shopping research rocks!
I also have these goggles with a mirror lens. They are great in low light and just as accommodating in brighter conditions.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I need the best possible flat light lens. Sounds like that Blue Sensor lens would have been it - so I'm bummed to hear it was discontinued. But, as a second choice, I just got a great deal on the Smith Virtue goggle with a Storm Rose Flash lens at an end of year gear sale here in Bozeman. 70% off! So I paid $42 for $140 goggle. And the goggle and strap match the color of my Smith helmet to boot! (grape). I figure they are definitely worth a try at that price!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have also been searching for the Blue Sensor lens...... which IO/S lens is second best for flat light ?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I'm thinking/hoping it's the Storm Rose Flash. Meant to add . . . I've read that yellow is a good flat light color, but that rose gives even more definition so that you can pick up minor variations in the snow surface. I've owned yellow lenses by Oakley and they were good. Not great.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So now I have looked at both chromopops - the yellow and storm rose flash..... what I'm interested in is a lens for skiing the alps above treeline when sometimes visibility is very very low. Which lens do you think is best for low vis?

marzNC

Angel Diva
So now I have looked at both chromopops - the yellow and storm rose flash..... what I'm interested in is a lens for skiing the alps above treeline when sometimes visibility is very very low. Which lens do you think is best for low vis?
My impression is that the Storm lenses are supposed to be better for low vis situations. Just got Chromapop lenses on sale. May bring them next week but hoping not to be skiing in low vis.

Here's a review of a lot of I/O lenses from 2017.
https://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/smith-goggle-lens-guide/

Skisailor

Angel Diva
And as I mentioned above, I'm reading that in general, rose performs a little better than yellow in bringing out definition of terrain in flat light. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. :smile:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And as I mentioned above, I'm reading that in general, rose performs a little better than yellow in bringing out definition of terrain in flat light. :smile:

My experience was that the rose flash was HORRIBLE in flat light in the Alps above tree line. There was no definition at all. Zero.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna