• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Small Backpack Recommendation

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love both of these simple, lightweight backpacks from REI.
Flash 18
Flash 22
I use them as daypack for hikes during the summer and they are fantastic.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Do people not have issues cleaning the straws and containers on hydration reservoirs? I got a camelback when it was the new thing and couldn't keep it clean, but here we are, many years later, and people still like them, so I guess everyone is dealing with it okay?
Many moons ago I used to mountain bike with a camelback. The trick is to keep the reservoir in a large ziplock in the freezer between uses. Only thing I had to wash was the bite valve.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Do people not have issues cleaning the straws and containers on hydration reservoirs? I got a camelback when it was the new thing and couldn't keep it clean, but here we are, many years later, and people still like them, so I guess everyone is dealing with it okay?
I always wash the bite valve and rinse out the reservoir (stuff with paper towel) and hang on the shower curtain pole to dry. No issues, ever.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So like many others, I'm thinking I'll want a low-profile backpack this year due to the lodges being closed. Ideally, I'd like something that I can fit an optional midlayer top into, some snacks, a hydro pack, and probably a flash or a couple beers for midday view enjoying. I was also thinking that with the parking situation being a bit crazy due to folks not carpooling, it might be nice to have a pack that can carry my skis. I'm not doing any backcountry hiking and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. So with that in mind, I ordered both the Dakine Heli Pack 12L and the Osprey Kresta 14 to compare them.

Initial thoughts are that I like the storage options of the Kresta. The fact that it has two separate compartments, plus a google pocket seems really helpful, particularly for wanting to stow items like Cat Tracks etc without getting any spare clothes wet. It also has an insulated channel for the hydropack hose. However, it doesn't hold my skis well at all. They're basically just flopping around behind me. Whereas the Heli Pack holds the skis like a champ and also has fewer straps flopping about. But it really only has the goggle pocket, one main compartment, and a very small front pouch. I was assuming I'd keep the Dakine for ski carrying utility, which was a slight bummer on the storage capacity front. But it also goes better with the rest of my gear and is a bit more streamlined (i.e., the straps aren't hanging all over the place).

Then last night I discovered these shoulder carry straps for skis and now I'm debating whether this would suffice for the walks from the car and if I should keep the Kresta instead, just plan to use the shoulder strap for carrying skis and then put the ski straps and Cat Tracks in the front pocket where they can't get rest of my gear wet. If I did this, I'd need to trim up the excess strap length as that seems like an accident waiting to happen and I would probably try dying the pack so it doesn't completely clash with my gear. The ski carry thing isn't the end of the world, but I was figuring if I was going to splurge for a pack, I might as well get one that would allow me to be a bit lazy. So the Dakine won on that front as well as color scheme. The mods to the Kresta are a bit of work, but the extra storage would be nice if I'd be just as happy with the shoulder strap as being able to put my skis on the Heli diagonally.

For those who have any of the above, any thoughts? Are the shoulder carry straps decent? How nice is the truly hands-free pack ski carry option? Opinions on the one-pocket on the Dakine vs. the two-pockets on the Osprey?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I ordered both the Dakine Heli Pack 12L and the Osprey Kresta 14
I really love Dakine packs - they are bombproof and the ski carry system is solidly functional. That said, a few months ago I ordered in the Dakine Heli 12L as I wanted something small and ski oriented; I returned it due to pocket disappointment, and also because physically it wasn’t all that much smaller than the Dakine Heli Pro Deluxe 18L (when compressed) that I already have. I also have the Gregory Maya 10L, which although it isn’t a ski pack, it is light and small for in resort use in New England.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really love Dakine packs - they are bombproof and the ski carry system is solidly functional. That said, a few months ago I ordered in the Dakine Heli 12L as I wanted something small and ski oriented; I returned it due to pocket disappointment, and also because physically it wasn’t all that much smaller than the Dakine Heli Pro Deluxe 18L (when compressed) that I already have. I also have the Gregory Maya 10L, which although it isn’t a ski pack, it is light and small for in resort use in New England.
That's actually really helpful as I was just browsing Dakine's website (vs Evo) and am now looking at the Mission 18L as perhaps a compromise. A bit more pack than I need, but would give me two pockets plus the carry-ability as the Dakine 12.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
That's actually really helpful as I was just browsing Dakine's website (vs Evo) and am now looking at the Mission 18L as perhaps a compromise. A bit more pack than I need, but would give me two pockets plus the carry-ability as the Dakine 12.
Too bad Sierra doesn’t have any right now -
I got my 18L there in 2015 and then got my sister the 20L in 2017; both for smoking good deals.3CCBD4E0-0260-43A2-BB9B-1550FEE5302F.jpeg

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too bad Sierra doesn’t have any right now -
I got my 18L there in 2015 and then got my sister the 20L in 2017; both for smoking good deals.View attachment 14714
I just ordered the Dakine Mission Pro 18L off of Amazon (sadly Dakine's website only had one color option left), should be here in a couple weeks. I'll hang on to the Heli 12 until I can compare.

In the meantime, I realized that if I get the shoulder carry strap, I may just be able to use my existing hydration pack, which has served me well on hikes and as a day pack when traveling. I don't think the outside pockets would be waterproof, but the main pocket has insulation to keep your water bladder cool and I think that would keep the pocket dry in snow. It actually holds a decent amount for its size and is very affordable. Definitely not as gear-oriented, but totally sufficient for those wanting some space for water, snacks, sunscreen and an extra layer. I did just notice it has a whistle clasp on the front, but it doesn't seem to work very well compared to the Dakine. For anyone interested, I've actually ordered both of these brands before and I think they're essentially the same with a different name on them (and slightly different color options):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078WMXM6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TT9Y7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

elemmac

Angel Diva
Opinions on the one-pocket on the Dakine vs. the two-pockets on the Osprey?

I have a Dakine 12L, and I will say that the single pocket was a bit of a turn off for me at first. Plus, mine is the older version that doesn't have the tiny pocket in the front. The comfort of the pack is pretty awesome to ski with though. It's a decent amount skinnier than comparable packs, which lets it stay really close to your back and disperse the weight of the pack/contents nicely.

I normally pack everything in stuff sacks to make things easier to find, and keeps things dry. I have a set of the Osprey stuff sacks that are super light, and a few light-weight dry bags off of Amazon (I wouldn't dunk those in water, but they keep things plenty dry in my pack).

I can't speak for the Kestra, but I have a few Osprey backpacks, and I can't say enough good things about them...rugged, comfortable, and always seem to be very thought out.

newboots

Angel Diva
If Sierra runs out, don't forget Steep and Cheap, Backcountry, and REI Garage.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

Kulkea is having a Memorial Day sale for 2023 that includes the Micro Pack. It's become a "multi-sport" pack now that Kulkea is selling more than snowsports gear.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about an inexpensive backpack like this $18 one from Amazon:

REI is having their Anniversary Sale--Tarn 12 Kids Pack is on sale. Maybe it'll fit a small adult? It has a sternum strap.

Arcteryx Re-Gear has 2 Aerios 15 Backpacks in a beautiful blue color. One is "Like New", the other is "Great". BUT their Outlet website has the same pack new for $91. So tempted myself but I must resist. https://outlet.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/womens/aerios-15-backpack

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a small Arvo one that I pinched from my son and its great. It also has the ability to transform via some tricky magic straps to enable me to carry my ski's either A frame or across on an angle ... pretty wizzy. Not sure how readily available they are though.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re: that Arcteryx Aerios 15 Backpack - a number of reviewers mentioned that this pack is hard on clothing. Probably over a jacket, but hard on fleece and lighter fabrics. Buyer beware.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I ordered a Dakine Heli 12L for myself. Apparently, you have to be at least 5'5" for the pack. At 5'2" I didn't come close to fitting the pack and I returned it. I'll just make DH carry anything that doesn't fit into my pockets in his pack. He has the Camelback Powderhound.

I do use the carry straps. Makes life much easier when you have to walk a fair distance from car to lift.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I ordered a Dakine Heli 12L for myself. Apparently, you have to be at least 5'5" for the pack. At 5'2" I didn't come close to fitting the pack and I returned it. I'll just make DH carry anything that doesn't fit into my pockets in his pack. He has the Camelback Powderhound.

I do use the carry straps. Makes life much easier when you have to walk a fair distance from car to lift.
I’m 5’7 and it barely fits me. Super long in the back frame. I really want one to carry my skis, extra layer. 12L was actually quite large. Not very comfortable….

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I have a Dakine 12L, and I will say that the single pocket was a bit of a turn off for me at first. Plus, mine is the older version that doesn't have the tiny pocket in the front. The comfort of the pack is pretty awesome to ski with though. It's a decent amount skinnier than comparable packs, which lets it stay really close to your back and disperse the weight of the pack/contents nicely.

I normally pack everything in stuff sacks to make things easier to find, and keeps things dry. I have a set of the Osprey stuff sacks that are super light, and a few light-weight dry bags off of Amazon (I wouldn't dunk those in water, but they keep things plenty dry in my pack).

I can't speak for the Kestra, but I have a few Osprey backpacks, and I can't say enough good things about them...rugged, comfortable, and always seem to be very thought out.
So you find the Dakine comfortable? It is a bit long on my back….

elemmac

Angel Diva
So you find the Dakine comfortable? It is a bit long on my back….
Yup. I find the 12L very comfortable...The waist belt since right on my hipbones, pretty perfectly. I have a pretty average women's torso length at about 16". I've had mine for 5+ years now...so I'm not sure how much it's changed since the version I have.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Yup. I find the 12L very comfortable...The waist belt since right on my hipbones, pretty perfectly. I have a pretty average women's torso length at about 16". I've had mine for 5+ years now...so I'm not sure how much it's changed since the version I have.
I also picked up the 20l because it was on sale at REI. It says women specific and has a shorter frame. Hmmmmm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna