• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Small Backpack Recommendation

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could use a small backpack that also has a chest strap for skiing. I’d just like to carry a small water, some snacks, sunscreen and phone. I’m really over my jacket pockets being weighed down. Any recommendations? Anyone looking to sell?

marzNC

Angel Diva

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for info on the Kulkea Micro. Interesting pack. I think I’ll look at that small Dakine. I’ve got a small North Face, probably made for a child, picked up at Whistler years ago, it’s perfect size but has no chest straps which is a feature I’d like.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 to the Dakine Heli series. I use the an older version of the 20 for work & inbounds skiing, and it still looks brand new. It fits a little bigger than the Osprey Kresta 14, so if you're on the super short side, I'd start there.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seconding the Osprey recommendation in general; I have three bags from them and they're all pretty much bulletproof so far. I have a ski backpack that isn't made anymore (osprey karve 11) but their newer stuff looks great too. My do-everything osprey backpack dates back to 2012 or 2013 when i was using it as a uni bag, hauling textbooks around. Since then it's been used for all manner of things and it still looks new. :smile:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We did have several other threads on the small backpack, but its perplexing to say the least to find something that is 'just right.' In reviewing these I realized I misprinted that I had the deuter speedlite 12 but actually its a 10L. And they don't make it anymore. :frown:
I ordered a 12 for DD but its at least 1+ inch longer than the 10L, and doesn't have a waist strap.
I'm looking for a lightweight backpack for her to use xc skiing. She will need to take the bus to the xc center and will need extra jacket etc to stay warm. She can leave shoes/boots at a 'yurt,' but nothing else... I was thinking the 10L would be good and it fit my back well. I really like skiing with mine so wanted to get her one. So I started looking at other options that maybe were a bit shorter and different Uswe Vertical, or maybe even something for ski mo thats super light. If not, there is a 10L on poshmark or a few on eBay from far far away..... For me its about how it feels on your back - I don't like the firmer back panels unless I have to carry weight - i.e. probe, shovel skins.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/backpack-for-out-west.23637/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/backpack-choice.22060/page-2

elemmac

Angel Diva
I ordered a 12 for DD but its at least 1+ inch longer than the 10L, and doesn't have a waist strap.
I'm looking for a lightweight backpack for her to use xc skiing. She will need to take the bus to the xc center and will need extra jacket etc to stay warm. She can leave shoes/boots at a 'yurt,' but nothing else... I was thinking the 10L would be good and it fit my back well. I really like skiing with mine so wanted to get her one. So I started looking at other options that maybe were a bit shorter and different Uswe Vertical, or maybe even something for ski mo thats super light. If not, there is a 10L on poshmark or a few on eBay from far far away..... For me its about how it feels on your back - I don't like the firmer back panels unless I have to carry weight - i.e. probe, shovel skins.

I have a Salomon Agile 12. that's super light weight, really wraps around the waist really well, and doesn't have a firm back. I use it for short hikes and biking, but have used it skiing too.

Looks like they've changed it a bit to be more of a trail running bag...which actually might work well for x-county skiing.

Here's the "old" one that I have...you might still be able to find it on sale somewhere. Here's the "new" version.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mentioned it in another thread recently, but I've used the Camelbak Zoid for the last two seasons and love it. It's very low profile and has a chest strap. Carries ~2L of water and would fit a cell phone, small tube of sunscreen, and snack bars in the outer pocket. The hydration tube is insulated, so works well in the cold.

Christy

Angel Diva
Do people not have issues cleaning the straws and containers on hydration reservoirs? I got a camelback when it was the new thing and couldn't keep it clean, but here we are, many years later, and people still like them, so I guess everyone is dealing with it okay?

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do people not have issues cleaning the straws and containers on hydration reservoirs? I got a camelback when it was the new thing and couldn't keep it clean, but here we are, many years later, and people still like them, so I guess everyone is dealing with it okay?

I haven't noticed any issues, but confess I'm also not cleaning it all that often (eek). I use it at least weekly so the water gets cycled through very regularly (at least so I tell myself). I haven't found a better way to stay hydrated while on the slopes since bottles are bulky and (if reusable) really hard if you fall on them.

newboots

Angel Diva
Mr. Blizzard uses a Camelbak, and he has a long thingy with a scrubber at the end. Like a bottle brush, only appropriate for the long tube. I assume it comes with the Camelbak, but I don't know. He cleans it with a bit of dish soap and hot water, as well as lots of rinsing.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mr. Blizzard uses a Camelbak, and he has a long thingy with a scrubber at the end. Like a bottle brush, only appropriate for the long tube. I assume it comes with the Camelbak, but I don't know. He cleans it with a bit of dish soap and hot water, as well as lots of rinsing.
I have this too. It's an accessory that's available separately.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to the hydration pack basic cleaning tools (craft type pipe cleaners have even been pressed into service in a pinch) I find removing any detachable pieces (esp the bite valve or tube) and hanging them all separately propped open to dry helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna