• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sleeping bag storage

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sort-of off-season...so I just bought a sleeping bag for lodge use, inside. On the website it said, do not store your bag in the "carry sack." Do you divas take a sleeping bag out of the sack when not using it for a period of time?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
YES! storing a bag stuffed in it's stuff sack will most certainly break the down down very quickly, and will also break down insulation in a synthetic. We have a closet dedicated to hanging sleeping bags in.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, it's kind of a pain space-wise. We have a futon that is almost never used, so we tend to just leave the sleeping bags spread out there. Well, I do. DH is happy to leave his bags in the stuff sack =/

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was thinking of kind of rolling it very loosely (not in the stuff sack) and leaving it on the floor in my closet.

Christy

Angel Diva
Sometimes they come with giant storage bags (different than the stuff sacks). One of mine has little loops for hanging it on a hangar, so I'm not even compressing it at a fold--it just hangs.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don't have space to hang them, but ours have all come with a large cotton storage sack. We loosely roll them and put them in there. Not the most ideal, but they're not compressed.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH tells me he uses the storage bag. Not the stuff sack.

abc

Banned
I used to hang them, but then I stop camping for some years and moved around a few times. More over, I live in New York city where space is expensive...

Long story short, II stored mine in the compression sack against advice.

It's still keeping me warm after all these years of abuse!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it matters if it's down or synthetic, too. I think synthetic does a better job of surviving the abuse. Confirm/deny?

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have used the stuff sacks for as long as I can remember and our bags are still in good shape after about 15 years, in which 14 of those were tent camping. However, our sleeping bags are not super lightweight nor designed for anything more adventurous than tent camping.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Confirm. Down feathers are little tiny skeletons. Storing them compressed will breaks the skeletons into smaller and smaller pieces. Most "loss of loft" is this, crushed feathers.

altagirl

Staff member
We have a compression stuff sack and undo the compression so it's full size when not traveling.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I hang them in the closet, or sometimes just lay them under the bed, folded in half .

abc

Banned
Confirm. Down feathers are little tiny skeletons. Storing them compressed will breaks the skeletons into smaller and smaller pieces. Most "loss of loft" is this, crushed feathers.
That doesn't sound too logical. I would think those "tiny skeletons" would be broken even more easily when they're BEING compressed, regardless how long they STAY compressed.

There might be other reason why they're better stored uncompressed. I personally didn't find it make much of a difference. The initial quality of the sleeping bag have a lot more to do with the durability than how they're stored.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Compressing/compressed... tense doesn't matter if it breaks the feathers no matter what.
I get my info from the manufacturers and pass it on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly