• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis - help!

SamShady

Diva in Training
Hey all! I’m so glad I found this forum. Hoping you ladies can help with some recs. I’m 41, decent skier, been skiing all my life, like to push myself, lots of room for improvement. Love steeps, ungroomed, groomers, pow, bumps, all of it. I’m terrible in trees - clench up. I’m 5’9” and around 130 pounds. I’m lightweight, but my legs are strong. The last 10 years I haven’t owned skis bc I only got 4-7 days a year. I’ve enjoyed demo’ing depending on terrain and conditions, but I’m finally ready for a commitment this season. I’m looking for a ski that can do it all - too much to ask? What I’ve tried so far:
Nordica enforcer - felt invincible and loved how I plowed through crud, didn’t get chattery. Too stiff for me in the bumps.
Black crows Camox Birdie 174 - loved it, playful, didnt carve like the Nordicas, still enjoyed, but missed that invincible feeling.
Elan Ripstick 94/170- really wanted to like these. Liked how responsive they are, zippy turns, my tips kept knocking together on flats - apparently this is a thing? And overall too light maybe? I think I prefer a stiffer ski.
Anyone recommend the Stockli Stormrider or Lib Tech skis? Any other recs? Thanks so much!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Welcome to the forum!

Where do you usually ski?

My daily driver and ski that really opened the door to bump and tree skiing for me (though I still have a long way to improve there too) is the Blizzard Sheeva 9. I’d recommend adding them to your demo list if possible.

I also have the Stockli Stormrider 85 for icier days in the East. Completely different feel from the Sheeva, but smooths out the firmer days like a dream.

Jilly

Staff member
If you've been renting skis, how are your boots? Boots are the most important part of your equipment.

And welcome to our world!!

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm leaving the ski advice to the experts, but wanted to say we are glad you're here!

:welcome:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Nordica enforcer - felt invincible and loved how I plowed through crud, didn’t get chattery. Too stiff for me in the bumps.

I would definitely try the Santa Ana. It has a very similar feel to the Enforcer, but a slightly different wood core that makes the ski a bit lighter, and slightly less stiff. This years Santa Ana also dropped one of the sheets of Titanal out of it, which will also make it a bit more forgiving in bumps.

SamShady

Diva in Training
If you've been renting skis, how are your boots? Boots are the most important part of your equipment.

And welcome to our world!!
Agree!! I would never rent boots. Love my boots. They are personalized to the max....orthotics, molded liner, etc.

SamShady

Diva in Training
Welcome to the forum!

Where do you usually ski?

My daily driver and ski that really opened the door to bump and tree skiing for me (though I still have a long way to improve there too) is the Blizzard Sheeva 9. I’d recommend adding them to your demo list if possible.

I also have the Stockli Stormrider 85 for icier days in the East. Completely different feel from the Sheeva, but smooths out the firmer days like a dream.
I’m in Colorado for the next three months (finally realizing a dream!). I ski in Europe and western US mostly. In Europe, I loved skiing on rossignol hero elites. I’m curious to try them here but don’t see them anywhere. Thanks for the Blizzard rec!

Jilly

Staff member
Colorado is not going to want to see those skinny skis. (My fav, which at the present have 3 different pairs). You might find them at a racing centre.

Jilly

Staff member
Hero ST ca, Hero MT ca and brand new Hero ST Ti. I keeping the ST ca's for rock skis. The MT's are going up for sale after New Years and only if the Ontario ski resorts get to open. We are currently locked down, including the ski resorts.

mustski

Angel Diva
If you are looking for one ski that excels at everything ... well there is no such thing. I guess the real question is where do you ski the most and what kind of terrain do you spend the most time on?

For example, I love soft snow but I live in Southern California so most of the time I am forced onto rock hard groomers and I am often surrounded by skiers/boarders who come flying down at Mach speed just to beat their speed record. So for me, it is critical that any ski hold an edge and respond quickly. I like a short radius turn for local skiing.

My new love is the Stockli Stormrider 85W. I skied it in Taos last year in bumps and in a few inches of freshies and it was super responsive. This season, I got to try it on some seriously scraped off hardback and YES! That said, I have wider skis for powder days.

Buy for the conditions you most often ski and then rent for other days. If you stick around here long enough ... you will own at least 2 pairs of skis! We are terrible enablers.

Some others to try:
Black Pearl 88 and 98
Volkl Secret
Nordica Santa Ana 88 and 98. (what width did you like in the Enforcer)

I have never tried the Sheeva 9 ... but @MissySki and @lisamamot have certainly got me intrigued. I'm afraid to try them because I already have too many skis!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If you are looking for one ski that excels at everything ... well there is no such thing. I guess the real question is where do you ski the most and what kind of terrain do you spend the most time on?

For example, I love soft snow but I live in Southern California so most of the time I am forced onto rock hard groomers and I am often surrounded by skiers/boarders who come flying down at Mach speed just to beat their speed record. So for me, it is critical that any ski hold an edge and respond quickly. I like a short radius turn for local skiing.

My new love is the Stockli Stormrider 85W. I skied it in Taos last year in bumps and in a few inches of freshies and it was super responsive. This season, I got to try it on some seriously scraped off hardback and YES! That said, I have wider skis for powder days.

Buy for the conditions you most often ski and then rent for other days. If you stick around here long enough ... you will own at least 2 pairs of skis! We are terrible enablers.

Some others to try:
Black Pearl 88 and 98
Volkl Secret

I have never tried the Sheeva 9 ... but @MissySki and @lisamamot have certainly got me intrigued. I'm afraid to try them because I already have too many skis!
Don't forget I now own them as well.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
The new Stöckli Nela line for women sounds interesting. Nela 80, Nela 88, and Nela 96. I talked to a woman who owns a ski shop in Steamboat Springs last season about the new Nela line. She was pretty excited.

The Stormrider 88 still exists, but the Stormrider 85 Motion seems to be gone from the line up. Powder7 has some deals on 2020 Stormrider 85 skis, both new and demos.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone recommend the Stockli Stormrider
The Stormrider 88 still exists, but the Stormrider 85 Motion seems to be gone from the line up. Powder7 has some deals on 2020 Stormrider 85 skis, both new and demos.
Meant to mention that I bought the Stormrider 85 a few years ago after demo'ing from Le Ski Mastery in Taos. Intend to keep them for years. With the help of lessons from very experienced instructors in recent years, I can have great fun with them on groomers, in bumps or trees, or in up 10-15 inches of fluffy powder. So when I get lucky and catch a powder day, there is less reason to spend money renting wider skis.

Treated them with DPS Phantom during the off-season after getting a stone grind in the spring. Since I only use them out west, they didn't need to be waxed that much but now I won't need to take my Black Pearls to Alta in April for spring skiing.

newboots

Angel Diva
If you are looking for one ski that excels at everything ... well there is no such thing.

Some others to try:
Black Pearl 88 and 98
Volkl Secret

I'm no expert in all of this, but the Black Pearl 88s are very popular in the Northeast, where there is very rarely powder.

SamShady

Diva in Training
Thanks all! I think I’ve finally decided - going with two skis !! Salomon Stance and Black Crows Atris Birdie... now trying to decide length on the atris. It’s either 169 or 178... I haven’t skied the 178 yet. Waiting for some powder! ❄️❄️❄️

SamShady

Diva in Training
The new Stöckli Nela line for women sounds interesting. Nela 80, Nela 88, and Nela 96. I talked to a woman who owns a ski shop in Steamboat Springs last season about the new Nela line. She was pretty excited.

I tried the Nela 88 and loved them. I prefer the Salomon Stance just a tad more - it’s a little stiffer.

rbkvail

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks all! I think I’ve finally decided - going with two skis !! Salomon Stance and Black Crows Atris Birdie... now trying to decide length on the atris. It’s either 169 or 178... I haven’t skied the 178 yet. Waiting for some powder! ❄️❄️❄️
Exciting!!! I just got the Camox Birdie and I love them! I spend a lot of time in bumps and they are really helping me improve. Im now intrigued with the Atris. Looking forward to Demoing. Where in CO are you skiing? We live in the Vail Valley and I've been skiing Vail the most this season. Skiing has been great lately...even for a dry year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly