• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for very petite women...

Sparky

Angel Diva
@lisamamot @MissySki Nice, you girls got the Sheevas! Still wonder why I didn’t like them the way you and everyone else does? Btw, I ended up demoing Santa Ana and liked them better than the K2 Alluvit. Just bought them!

@WaterGirl what 85ish skis are you looking at? Any interest in Total Joys?? I’m trying to get rid of mine, onlet used them for about 10 days last season, and once this season to confirm I didn’t like them anymore.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot @MissySki Nice, you girls got the Sheevas! Still wonder why I didn’t like them the way you and everyone else does? Btw, I ended up demoing Santa Ana and liked them better than the K2 Alluvit. Just bought them!

Missyski and I generally like the same type of skis so if you are demoing with us you may feel outnumbered, lol. You seem to prefer a bit of a stiffer ski - the Santa Ana 93 with the metal is a great ski. I don't dislike it at all and I could definitely ski it; I just prefer the fun factor in the Sheeva 9 and I still have plenty of stability. I also have a length issue with the Santa Ana (less so in the new model than the pre-metal) - the 169 feels short but the 177 is long. The Sheeva 9 172 is a super length for me.

From SkiEssentials
"The Blizzard Sheeva series is making skiing fun again—what they lack in brute strength they more than make up for in playfulness and fun. The full wood core with metal underfoot sends the message that these skis are made to be danced with, not slammed on. Advanced skiers will love the pep, snap, and light weight feeling of the 2019 Blizzard Sheeva 9."

OK, skiing has always been fun, but the rest speaks to me - I am more of a finesse than a power skier. I ski quickly at times but I am not a speed demon at all; I want a ski to be stable but fun is my ski soft spot.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva

Different strokes for different folks! Awesome that you found something you like, I've only tried the Santa Ana pre-metal still need to try the new one at a demo some time. Are you bringing those to Aspen?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Missyski and I generally like the same type of skis so if you are demoing with us you may feel outnumbered, lol. You seem to prefer a bit of a stiffer ski - the Santa Ana 93 with the metal is a great ski. I don't dislike it at all and I could definitely ski it; I just prefer the fun factor in the Sheeva 9 and I still have plenty of stability. I also have a length issue with the Santa Ana (less so in the new model than the pre-metal) - the 169 feels short but the 177 is long. The Sheeva 9 172 is a super length for me.
Good discussion . . . but a note to those who come across this thread who are petite and just starting to consider buying skis, it's fair to say that lisamamot and Missyski are way taller than I am at 5'0". The longest skis I've enjoyed were 168cm fat powder skis with a lot of tip and tail rocker in 15+ inches of fresh powder at Alta.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Really want to try the Sheeva 9. Like everything I hear about it! Tried the Sheeva 10 in a 156 last season. Good length for me at 5'1 and 105!
Really fun ski!!
I'll be demoing skis in Switzerland when you all are in Snowmass.
Wonder what awaits me?

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw this thread, I am also petite! 5' and around 100 lbs give or take. My "wide" powder ski is the 2018 Line Pandora 95, and I love them to pieces. I ski primarily at Loon, Cannon, WV and Wildcat. Some Jay days are sprinkled in there, too! I had the Pandora 2017s that I warrantied (see post history if you're curious). Now I have the 18s and they are a pretty pink and purple. They preform really well in powder (hoping for over a foot this weekend at Loon!) and they work well on groomers. They're definitely soft and flexible, I call them my playful fun skis. I ride those in a 152. I definitely cruise on these bad boys. Unfortunately, this year's Pandoras are now in a 94 and I think the smallest size is a 159cm. My local guy said to get the older model (weirdly more expensive than this years) and I made the right choice in that. They also changed the wood core. If you want something a little more for powder you could check out Line's Francis Bacon Shorty Jrs. I've heard good things. I also just picked up a pair of Black Crows Vertis Birdies. I demoed in 159 and 152 (more like 153) and I felt like a baby giraffe that couldn't walk on the longer ones. I skied the 152s last weekend in amazing hard pack/groomed conditions and couldn't believe how much fun they were. Definitely a stiffer ski, which is what I wanted for a groomer ski. They are 87 underfoot. I demoed with the Marker Squire and I have the Salomon Warden on my Lines. I opted to get the beefier Marker binding, the Griffon, and I made the right choice there. The Crows are much lighter than my Lines and I think that's because of the binding weight. Good luck!!!

Sparky

Angel Diva
Missyski and I generally like the same type of skis so if you are demoing with us you may feel outnumbered, lol. You seem to prefer a bit of a stiffer ski -
Yes, I felt a little left out that day at Loon! It seems I developed a preference for stiffer skis sometime last season, but not sure where that came from though. Didn’t like my Total Joy anymore, and was practically in tears at JH that I went and demoed. Didn’t like the new BPs (I have 2015), Yumi, or Atomics. Liked the Kenja, Stormrider 85, Secret. Although I did like the Victa 93, which I don’t think has metal. The Santa Ana gave me the stability I was looking for but I still thought it was fun. And I still have my Saffons which I still enjoy, that’s all I’ve been skiing on these days.

And speaking of colors... after waffling for days on color/year, I finally ordered the ‘19 from Corbetts but ordered it a day or two too late and they supposedly had too many orders so I wasn’t going to get them in time so I had to cancel it. I ended up finding a good deal on probably one of the last ‘18s out there, so it worked out because subconsciously I really wanted the purple ones! :thumbsup:

lenap3

Certified Ski Diva
For those of you on the east coast, anyone recommend a good shop to demo at for petite females? It looks like this upcoming storm will be a great chance to try out powder skis. I’ve just found lots of places don’t have the smaller sizes

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those of you on the east coast, anyone recommend a good shop to demo at for petite females? It looks like this upcoming storm will be a great chance to try out powder skis. I’ve just found lots of places don’t have the smaller sizes
Where do you primarily ski? I go to Lahouts (Lincoln) and Ski Fanatics (Campton). Fanatics had some smaller length skis I was able to try in the Crows. I guess it also depends on what kind of ski you want to demo!

lenap3

Certified Ski Diva
Where do you primarily ski? I go to Lahouts (Lincoln) and Ski Fanatics (Campton). Fanatics had some smaller length skis I was able to try in the Crows. I guess it also depends on what kind of ski you want to demo!
Reall want to try the black crows! My pass is the white mountain superpass, so I’m generally up in northern NH.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reall want to try the black crows! My pass is the white mountain superpass, so I’m generally up in northern NH.
Lahouts has the Camox and Captis, and Fanatics has the Vertis. My guy there does have an in to get them, but I think by now most are sold out. I may have bought the last pair of 152s of the Vertis there, but I think they have those in a demo. It’s more of a groomer ski in my honest opinion. I am not sure what Lahouts has for demos...but they are generally pretty helpful and I’m sure Eric or Anthony could help you out over there!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Lahouts has the Camox and Captis, and Fanatics has the Vertis. My guy there does have an in to get them, but I think by now most are sold out. I may have bought the last pair of 152s of the Vertis there, but I think they have those in a demo. It’s more of a groomer ski in my honest opinion. I am not sure what Lahouts has for demos...but they are generally pretty helpful and I’m sure Eric or Anthony could help you out over there!

Was that this year? I tried both Fanatics and Lahouts in November when I was looking to demo the Camox Birdie and they didn't have them for demo at all at that point. Not sure about any other models. I eventually found them at a couple of shops in Vermont for demo and went there.

lenap3

Certified Ski Diva

Thank you! For groomers I like ultra narrow waist (under 80 mm) for a carving ski, so I had my eye on the Captis as a light, versatile light powder ski (still want to be able to grab an edge on groomers with the new snow incorporated). I also like that they have a 149, since I’m still hesitant to go over the 150 mark given my experience not loving carvers over 150. And no worries about taking the last ski haha, I get 40% off the Crows through a discount I acquired teaching last season so I’d order direct from the manufacturer :smile:.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! For groomers I like ultra narrow waist (under 80 mm) for a carving ski, so I had my eye on the Captis as a light, versatile light powder ski (still want to be able to grab an edge on groomers with the new snow incorporated). I also like that they have a 149, since I’m still hesitant to go over the 150 mark given my experience not loving carvers over 150. And no worries about taking the last ski haha, I get 40% off the Crows through a discount I acquired teaching last season so I’d order direct from the manufacturer :smile:.
My goal is to demo the Captis next when I replace my Pandoras in a few years! Also I am EXTREMELY jealous of your discount! That is AWESOME!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was that this year? I tried both Fanatics and Lahouts in November when I was looking to demo the Camox Birdie and they didn't have them for demo at all at that point. Not sure about any other models. I eventually found them at a couple of shops in Vermont for demo and went there.
Yeah, this year. I wasn't sure if Lahouts demoed their Crows, but Fanatics only demoed the Vertis, but I think that's the only lady Crow they sell. I think Fanatics is trying to carry more Crows next year, and I think they're trying to sell more Salomon next year, too!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yeah, this year. I wasn't sure if Lahouts demoed their Crows, but Fanatics only demoed the Vertis, but I think that's the only lady Crow they sell. I think Fanatics is trying to carry more Crows next year, and I think they're trying to sell more Salomon next year, too!

It would be great if they both carried more for demos. Lahouts does demo I believe, but I think they had already sold out of the Camox Birdie so didn't have any for demo. They were trying to get more, but not sure if that happened. I'm surprised Fanatics only had the one, will be great if they have more options for demo next year!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Update: Lahouts is all out of their black crows for demo :(. Calling a few other places now.

If Vermont isn't a deal breaker, Forerunner near Killington had quite a bit for demo in November, that's where I went. Also Alpine Options near Sugarbush. I found those from crowdsourcing in a Facebook group.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna