• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for the east coast, questions about demos

Karolina

Diva in Training
Hello, I would like some advice regarding what skis to buy. Currently, I have the Fischer Aspire 155 cm 114-70-100. They're from around 2009 so I can't find much information about them, but I think they are for beginner-intermediate skiers and are cambered. I am 5'6" and 130 lbs. I like to ski fast and I make short turns (I think). I can ski all the trails except moguls at southern PA resorts (Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail), so I'd say I'm at least an advanced intermediate. I have outgrown these skis in height and ability level and would like to find new ones.

What I'm looking for:
I need a ski that can hold a good edge on ice because I take 7 evening trips (3.5-4 hours of skiing each) in southern PA with my school group, where 90% of the time the trails are pure ice.
My current skis are very narrow and cannot handle choppier or fluffier snow. My family is looking to resume our annual 4-5 day trip to Killington VT, so I will need a wider ski to handle conditions that aren't ice (yay!).
A ski that will help me advance.

The problem is: I don't know how wide I can go in my ski without losing a good edge on ice. I also don't want to get a ski that's too stiff. I'm in my later teenage years, so I like to think that I'm fit and strong enough to flex a stiffer ski, but I don't really know as I've been skiing on beginner skis for my whole life.

Possible skis I am interested in and notes/concerns/why I am doubting myself:
Atomic Vantage X 80 CTI W - Still on the narrow side for choppy snow
Volkl Flair 81 Carbon - Tiny bit wider than the Atomics, probably too advanced and too stiff
Blizzard Alight 8.2 TI - Haven't heard much about them on forums, one of the only women's skis I could find with 82 mm underfoot
Fischer My Mountain 84 - Might not hold a good edge on ice, haven't heard much about them on forums, from 2018 so I would need to buy these sooner
Head Total Joy - Really liked these when I first heard about them, people say they can hold an edge in anything, they're the widest skis on my list though

I suppose a good question to ask would be what are the conditions like at Killington around January-February? How about March? The last time I was there I was 9 and skiing greens so I don't remember. I don't know if the trails will be powdery/choppy enough to justify getting a wider ski and possibly sacrificing edge hold on ice. I will probably be skiing a lot of blues and blacks at Killington and would eventually like to try the easier glades, and maybe even learn moguls if my new skis allow it (not a priority though). I haven't researched any wider than 84 mm underfoot because I thought it would be too wide for ice, but if I'm wrong let me know.

I know it is recommended to demo skis and that Killington has the Potter Brothers onsite at the resort. How big of a variety of women's skis do the Potter Brothers (and surrounding demo shops) have? Most demo shops don't mention having Fischer brand skis. Do they have a variety of boots as well? Will they have any 2019 skis left in the middle of the 2020 season or just 2020 skis? How discounted are their demo skis if you want to purchase them and how beat up will they be? Depending on how late in the season my family and I go to Killington, I would definitely consider demoing as I need to find new ski boots too.

Apologies for the disorganized post, horrible grammar, and any improper use of ski terminology. An answer to any of my many questions would be appreciated. Any comments on the skis I am interested in or other recommendations for skis not listed here would be appreciated. Thank you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Enthusiasm counts far more for an online ski forum than good grammar. Always easier to provide help with more background.

Others know more about Killington and VT snow conditions than I do, but in general the possibility of ice in the northeast is always present. The clouds that move up thru VA/PA into New England can go with temps too warm for snow all season long, not just in Nov-Dec or during late season.

Possible skis I am interested in and notes/concerns/why I am doubting myself:
Atomic Vantage X 80 CTI W - Still on the narrow side for choppy snow
Volkl Flair 81 Carbon - Tiny bit wider than the Atomics, probably too advanced and too stiff
Blizzard Alight 8.2 TI - Haven't heard much about them on forums, one of the only women's skis I could find with 82 mm underfoot
Fischer My Mountain 84 - Might not hold a good edge on ice, haven't heard much about them on forums, from 2018 so I would need to buy these sooner
Head Total Joy - Really liked these when I first heard about them, people say they can hold an edge in anything, they're the widest skis on my list though
Good list. You might add the Head Absolut Joy, which is narrower than the Total Joy. That's what I opted to buy after demo'ing both at Massanutten (northern VA) several years ago. I liked both but also own all-mountain skis that are mid-80s. I've skied the AJs in the northeast and have been quite happy with the choice.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@tinymoose wondering if you can recommend PA area demo opportunities? @Karolina I think the absolute best thing you could do is go to a demo day where there are a bunch of ski brands to try, and just see what you like. Ski technology has changed a ton since 2009 and it’d be great to get on an assortment to see what you think. Doing a demo day allows you to try a bunch quickly. If that isn’t possible then doing demos from a shop works fine as well. There are definitely plenty of places to demo from around Killington.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to TheSkiDiva!

1. A ski that holds on ice, as in, really holds, is torsionally stiff - it doesn't twist when put up on edge. And it has camber, which presses the tip and tail into the ice when it's on edge, which makes it grip. Many recreational front-side (hard groomer) skis are torsionally stiff but not longitudinally stiff and do very well on our Eastern hard-snow groomers. They tend to have waists 68-78.

2. An all-mountain ski that performs well in softer snow and in bumps (an all-mountain ski) won't be as torsionally stiff as those frontside skis I just described. This will help it not to catch an edge in moguls. And it will have a wider body and waist (78 and up) to aid in float in ungroomed snow. There are many skis in this category that will make you happy.

3. An all-mountain ski built for casual use off-piste will tend to skid around on ice, but if the skier has figured out how to handle this, no problem. I bet you have, given the amount of skiing you've been doing on your current skis, which are most likely soft in both dimensions. The wider it is, say 88 and above, and the more early-rise/rocker it has, the more unfriendly it may be on ice.

4. It's really difficult to figure out how a ski will work in the real world by listing these specifications. And what one skier loves, another may hate. My suggestion is to demo 78/84 waisted skis, with camber, around 160 in length, and get what feels the best when skiing your normal type terrain.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose wondering if you can recommend PA area demo opportunities? @Karolina I think the absolute best thing you could do is go to a demo day where there are a bunch of ski brands to try, and just see what you like. Ski technology has changed a ton since 2009 and it’d be great to get on an assortment to see what you think. Doing a demo day allows you to try a bunch quickly. If that isn’t possible then doing demos from a shop works fine as well. There are definitely plenty of places to demo from around Killington.

Unfortunately, I do most of my skiing up in the Poconos and am not overly familiar with any of the southern PA hills as far as demo days. Buckmans in the Philly area arranges various free demo days, but I'm not sure if they're ever down that way. I think they're usually at places north of Philly like Camelback, Bear Creek, etc.. I would bet that Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop probably do have at least one demo day hosted by a local shop, though.

Blue Mountain does have a demo shop on mountain where you can pay to demo skis.

https://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/shop/ski-shop/try-before-you-buy/

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Whitetail usually has their demo days on Fridays, hosted by local ski shops. If I recall correctly, Liberty hasn’t had one for the last two years. Roundtop usually has one too, but I can’t recall whether it’s on a week day or weekend. The OP @Karolina (welcome, by the way) seems to be in school so Friday demos might not work. A bit farther south is Massanutten in VA which hosted multiple ski demo days by Freestyle Ski Shop on weekends. Of the skis listed, I haven’t seen the BP Alight or Fischer My Mtn, but I wasn’t able to visit every tent at Whitetail demo days. The demos at Whitetail are stocked by company reps, so there is a tent for each company. The demos at Massanutten are from Freestyle’s demo fleet, so only a few but usually popular models.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, I do most of my skiing up in the Poconos and am not overly familiar with any of the southern PA hills as far as demo days. Buckmans in the Philly area arranges various free demo days, but I'm not sure if they're ever down that way. I think they're usually at places north of Philly like Camelback, Bear Creek, etc.. I would bet that Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop probably do have at least one demo day hosted by a local shop, though.

Blue Mountain does have a demo shop on mountain where you can pay to demo skis.

https://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/shop/ski-shop/try-before-you-buy/

Ah sorry, please excuse my geographical challenges!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out of the skis you listed, I've demoed the Head Total Joy and agree they grab and hold an edge very nicely! The Joy line comes in a few different widths as someone else mentioned so it may be worth demoing a couple of different models.

Good luck with demoing, I've demoed about ten skis this season and I didn't like some skis as much as i thought i would (and liked other skis more than i thought i would!) , so it's absolutely worth actually trying out the skis to see how you like them :smile:

Soujan

Angel Diva
I hate to burst your bubble, but you will almost always be skiing on ice in the Northeast and Killington is no exception. Don't expect any big powder days especially since you plan on only going there four days out of the year. I would stick to a ski that's in the 80-85 waist range for what you want to do. Moving up from a 70 waist will feel like a huge jump and completely different and you might feel like a beginner skier all over again until you get the hang of it.

Since you've only been on a beginner ski, you don't know what you like in a ski at this point. Something might sound good on paper but you might end up hating it after you ski it. In the beginning, the ski mattered less to me because I didn't know what I was doing anyway. As I got better, I swapped out my skis for something slightly wider and longer. I've been lucky in the fact that I've purchased most of my skis without even seeing them first, let alone demoing them, and have been able to progress in my skill set. My latest skis (Head Wild Joy), I did actually demo first, now that I have enough skills to know what a ski should and shouldn't feel like and what I want from my skis. The Joy series of skis are lightweight but quite stiff. The stiffness gives them great edge hold and the lightness makes them easier to throw around. Even though they're light, they can still cut through chop and slush because they are so stiff. I do find that the Wild Joys are less forgiving and require more work. I really have to be over the front of the skis to carve them. My other ski is the Kastle LX82.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....The Joy series of skis are lightweight but quite stiff. The stiffness gives them great edge hold and the lightness makes them easier to throw around. Even though they're light, they can still cut through chop and slush because they are so stiff.....

I ski the Super Joys as my daily driver. They are torsionally stiff and hold an edge quite well on hard snow and ice. They are crazy light, and initially left me feeling insecure on them for that reason. I did get used to them eventually, and learned to trust them even at high speeds despite the fact that I couldn't feel them down there at my feet (so very light!). I do not "throw" my skis around, so swing weight doesn't much matter to me in my skiing. Be forewarned... since the Joy series skis are so crazy light, they are easy to carry uphill on your shoulder. If you ever get tired of carrying skis, these are for you.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have demoed both the Wild Joy and the Great Joy and had a great time on both in varied conditions. The Wild Joy in Tahoe and the Great Joy in Champery, Switzerland! Am now very tempted to purchase the Great Joy at very very good price..... except I don't need them and was really looking for narrower ski (88-90) so maybe the Wild Joy!
ETA: this does not help an East Coast skier make a decision even though both skis did well on hardpack....

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with liquudfeet. Look for something torsionally stiffer than your Aspires. The only thing different between K-ton and Ohio is height and length of the runs. I ski Mt Tremblant. We get ice. Fluffy snow days I can count on one hand.

My choice from your list would be the Alright. I think I demo'd it last fall, so I'll try to find it. Super Joy or may be the Epic Joy too.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI! Yes we Eastern gals are Ice queens, unfortunately!
I ski like you, lots of turns, mostly tight turns and like speed :-)

The Blizzard Alight is a nice ski for our conditions and will handle the piles.
The Flair is a speed machine- definitely more advanced stiffer ski although light in weight have to pay attention and not get in back seat.
The Vantage by Atomic are also nice skis. Atomic also makes the cloud series I think more for hard pack I have atomic cloud 11's (may be 12's now) they are just below race ski so very demanding. Have to 'be on them' The Cloud 9's are less demanding as are the cloud 8',7's

I just skied a Liberty 76W it was amazing ski, great on icy frozen cord in the AM then was fantastic in spring corn/piles!

I hope you can demo, there are so many skis! Technology is in our favor but what one person loves another hates, reviews can be SOO Far off!

@newboots may be able to help w/demo days and local shops for demo's by Killington.
My home bump has a free demo day but it's not until President's week (Feb)

I'm dreaming of and Praying for snow on these dog days of summer....

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah sorry, please excuse my geographical challenges!

I think as a general rule of thumb most Philly people head north to the Poconos to ski, whereas the southern PA hills I think tend to get more people from the DC/VA/MD areas.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on how late in the season my family and I go to Killington, I would definitely consider demoing as I need to find new ski boots too.

If you need both, then boots first and skis second. For one thing, you will need your boots with you to get the bindings adjusted on your new skis.

I'm a New England skier, and have skied both the Absolute Joy and the Atomic Vantage X 80 cti W. I find the Vantage is a tad less forgiving, but edge hold is definitely better. They became my go to ski for most days last year, until spring. Then I pulled out my K2 Thrilluvit for the slushy piles. But I did ski the Absolute Joy as my daily driver for a few years and loved them. Head has changed the AJ a bit for this year, but I'm not sure how the changes affect how it skis. A friend who was looking for new skis demoed both last year and really liked the new model, the previous one not as much. (She ultimately ended up with last year's Yumi.)

newboots

Angel Diva
Many of the local shops offer demos throughout the season. I’m actually not sure about Potter Brothers, but around here it’s common for the ski areas to offer higher quality rentals to demo.

I wouldn’t characterize Killington’s surface as “almost always ice,” but it’s absolutely true that you don’t need a wide ski on our mountain. The true powder days are very rare. It’s almost always hardpack. And great skiing!

I ski on an older version of the Alights, and they serve me well at Killington. I’m an intermediate and should probably be looking at new skis! I did demo the Absolut Joys last season and liked them a lot. But I’m not much of an expert on skis so ...

I will ask around about local demos of women’s skis. @ski diva ?

newboots

Angel Diva
My beloved, Mr. Blizzard, recommends The Basin, Northern Ski Works, and Peak Performance on the Killington Access Road for women’s skis. He is not a fan of Potter Brothers, for reasons that are vague when I ask.

Full Disclosure: he works at Northern Ski Works, although he is at their other shop near Okemo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna