• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for midwest and Colorado or Utah

OhioMom

Diva in Training
I am an advanced intermediate skier, who avoids bumps, but I do like to go a little fast. I'm relatively cautious since I don't want to get hurt, but am capable on most blacks and all blues. I'm 53, 5'7", 150 lbs.

I only ski 3 to 5 days a year, so I have rented for the last 15 to 20 years. Last year I rented a performance package in Breckenridge and was really unhappy with the skis. My daughter (16) and I took a family lesson and the instructor told both of us to switch out our skis. He said that even though it was listed for intermediate or advanced, that we both needed demo packages that had skis specifically designed for women. It was a holiday weekend and they didn't have anything great for me, but my daughter tried Blizzard Black Pearls and they were awesome. I am buying a demo set of Black Pearls for my daughter (she's 5'3", 110 lbs).

We are going to Utah next month and I am thinking about buying an inexpensive pair of demos for me. I've read a lot about the Black Pearls and I am wondering if they would be good for me or if I would be better with a more substantial ski since I'm heavier. Also, does anyone have any experience with them on snow in the midwest, especially in icy conditions? Any recommendations on other skis I should look for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

newboots

Angel Diva
Welcome! I'm not qualified to offer you much in the way of help here, but I can say happy to have you! I do think you should ski more. :wink:

:welcome:

Jilly

Staff member
There is a lot of love for the Black Pearl's. I personally didn't like the old and haven't had a chance to demo the newer version. I have the Atomic Vantage 95C. Love it for out west. Demo'd it in Whistler last season and ordered a set through our CSIA pro program.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am an advanced intermediate skier, who avoids bumps, but I do like to go a little fast. I'm relatively cautious since I don't want to get hurt, but am capable on most blacks and all blues. I'm 53, 5'7", 150 lbs.

I only ski 3 to 5 days a year, so I have rented for the last 15 to 20 years. Last year I rented a performance package in Breckenridge and was really unhappy with the skis. My daughter (16) and I took a family lesson and the instructor told both of us to switch out our skis. He said that even though it was listed for intermediate or advanced, that we both needed demo packages that had skis specifically designed for women. It was a holiday weekend and they didn't have anything great for me, but my daughter tried Blizzard Black Pearls and they were awesome. I am buying a demo set of Black Pearls for my daughter (she's 5'3", 110 lbs).

We are going to Utah next month and I am thinking about buying an inexpensive pair of demos for me. I've read a lot about the Black Pearls and I am wondering if they would be good for me or if I would be better with a more substantial ski since I'm heavier. Also, does anyone have any experience with them on snow in the midwest, especially in icy conditions? Any recommendations on other skis I should look for?

Welcome! So you have also been renting boots? When renting a package, better boots are likely to make more difference than the skis.

My home region is the southeast and I also ski in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, Catskills), so similar to the midwest. The first pair of all-mountain skis I had were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel (tip). So I also skied them at Alta but I was skiing groomers perhaps 60% of the time. Then I got a pair of the original Black Pearls. While I loved them out west, they weren't the best in the MidA. I ended up getting Head Absolut Joys that are 78 underfoot for my home mountain in VA, as well as in PA. I'm in the same size category as your daughter, older, advanced. Even with the changes in the current BP88, they would not be my first choice for manmade snow and/or icy conditions.

When you are in UT/CO, are you skiing groomed or ungroomed trails?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before I moved to Utah I skied in the Midwest in PA. My favorite skis there were the head IM 88s. They have also served me very well here in Utah. If you want to try a women's specific maybe the head total joy. For me they were similar but a bit lighter

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

YES YES YES!! The NEW Black Pearls are wonderful for intermediates to advanced. I'd get the 162cm I demo'd the 159's and I'm in a heavier stage I over powered them a bit.
I demo'd them on icy patches w/piles of soft snow inbetween. They are stable at speed and slow. They are Light years better than prior versions on hard pack.

I was just in Utah/Co with Divas, a sister of Diva intermediate- working on getting better she did fantastic in all conditions. As the rep said to me last year at Demo day "You'll be lusting after them" I was/and am.. If I hadn't purchased the Z-90's I would have purchased the "New" Black Pearls.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

OhioMom

Diva in Training
Welcome! So you have also been renting boots? When renting a package, better boots are likely to make more difference than the skis.

My home region is the southeast and I also ski in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, Catskills), so similar to the midwest. The first pair of all-mountain skis I had were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel (tip). So I also skied them at Alta but I was skiing groomers perhaps 60% of the time. Then I got a pair of the original Black Pearls. While I loved them out west, they weren't the best in the MidA. I ended up getting Head Absolut Joys that are 78 underfoot for my home mountain in VA, as well as in PA. I'm in the same size category as your daughter, older, advanced. Even with the changes in the current BP88, they would not be my first choice for manmade snow and/or icy conditions.

When you are in UT/CO, are you skiing groomed or ungroomed trails?

I have boots, but sometimes I don't bother to lug them with me. If I buy skis, I'll probably stick with my boots which are pretty stiff and comfortable. The boots I rented in Breckenridge were good, but the skis weren't the best. The first pair was really chattery (it was 50 deg in Feb - skied Keystone that day). I took them back and they put me in a "unisex" ski (same one my 200 lb husband and 18 year old son had). The instructor said they were awful. I managed to ski the whole mountain at Breckenridge in them, but my instructor (head of training for all Vail resorts) said my day would have been much more fun in a better style of skis designed for women. Maybe I should just stick with trying to find a good ski for when I'm out west and rent or use my 20 year old skis for Ohio and Western New York. Would you ever use your Absolute Joys out west?

OhioMom

Diva in Training
YES YES YES!! The NEW Black Pearls are wonderful for intermediates to advanced. I'd get the 162cm I demo'd the 159's and I'm in a heavier stage I over powered them a bit.
I demo'd them on icy patches w/piles of soft snow inbetween. They are stable at speed and slow. They are Light years better than prior versions on hard pack.

I was just in Utah/Co with Divas, a sister of Diva intermediate- working on getting better she did fantastic in all conditions. As the rep said to me last year at Demo day "You'll be lusting after them" I was/and am.. If I hadn't purchased the Z-90's I would have purchased the "New" Black Pearls.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Thanks!

OhioMom

Diva in Training
@volklgirl can speak to Midwest conditions. The OP is looking for a pretty well rounded ski ... I’m thinking Kenjas because they rock the hard stuff as well as crud and powder up to about 6”.

I was looking at a used pair of Kenjas and also K2 Luv Sicks. I think those were 2 of the skis the instructor
recommended.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have boots, but sometimes I don't bother to lug them with me.

I can't even wrap my head around this sentence. I just can't.

My boots are my life line and are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN SKIS. Have you had your boots checked by an experienced fitter?

I haven't skied the current BPs, but the previous versions I would not recommend for the Midwest. I'd look for a carver-type ski in the under 95 waist range as your most versatile option that will also work out west, unless you get dumped on - then, you'd rent fatter skis anyway. When I head out west, I take my 105s, but I have them tuned to 3 degrees for bite, and I'm experienced in getting them to carve regardless of conditions. I wouldn't recommend this approach for any but the strongest skiers.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Random musings.

I ski Volkl Kenjas in a 156 and I like them a lot. I'm shorter and heavier than you are.

What size used Kenjas are you looking at? Are they mounted with a demo binding or will you have to have the bindings remounted? What are the graphics on the top sheet, and I can tell you if they are rockered or not. If there is a lot of rocker, you will need to go longer.

There's a lot of difference between the K2's at 80 underfoot and the Kenja's 90 underfoot. I happen to like the wider ski for different conditions. On groomers, I just fly. In chopped up heavy snow, they cut through the piles. There's not so much float in deep powder, but the K2 LuvSicks won't have it either.

It's so hard to choose a ski without a demo because each person's preferences are so different. I've hopped on a demo ski and I knew in three turns that it wasn't the ski for me. Or I pushed a different demo ski to its limit and it put a smile on my face.

Also, I would suggest that you listen to MarzNC and Volklgirl about getting new boots with a proper fitting. I agree that well-fitted boots can make all the difference. Whenever I fly to ski, I always take my boots in my carryon so they are never lost. I can rent a pair of skis, but I would never be satisfied in anything but my own boots.

One final opinion that may be sacrilegious on this forum...I don't believe that there is a huge, discernible difference between men's and women's skis except for the top sheet design. How much difference is there between a man and a woman who is 5'7" 150#. Center of gravity? How much does that really affect a ski? Although many Divas will disagree with me, I have wondered how cost effective it is for a company to redesign a woman-specific ski. What real engineering and material differences are changed? Maybe a woman's ski is easier to flex, if they have truly re-engineered the core. I'm no expert, but my skeptical side has always wondered.

My final answer is: get new boots and demo until you smile.

OhioMom

Diva in Training
I can't even wrap my head around this sentence. I just can't.

My boots are my life line and are SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN SKIS. Have you had your boots checked by an experienced fitter?

I haven't skied the current BPs, but the previous versions I would not recommend for the Midwest. I'd look for a carver-type ski in the under 95 waist range as your most versatile option that will also work out west, unless you get dumped on - then, you'd rent fatter skis anyway. When I head out west, I take my 105s, but I have them tuned to 3 degrees for bite, and I'm experienced in getting them to carve regardless of conditions. I wouldn't recommend this approach for any but the strongest skiers.
My boots are about 8 years old, but I've probably only used them a total of 12-15 days. They were good quality, professionally sized and fitted. I have 4 kids and a ton of gear, so sometimes we just can't bring them.

I started skiing when I was 5 in lace-up leather Munari ski boots with wood Kastle skis and Cubco bindings. As the youngest of 5 kids, I moved up into my older siblings equipment as I went along, so I'm relatively easy to please as long as my boots aren't too soft and I can tighten them enough when I skiing steeps. I always described myself as an immediate, but my instructor laughter at that and said I was underestimating myself and the store put me in a ski that was too short (156) and too heavy, but without enough pep. I can ski aggressively when I ski with my kids, but I prefer to be a bit more relaxed.

OhioMom

Diva in Training
Random musings.

I ski Volkl Kenjas in a 156 and I like them a lot. I'm shorter and heavier than you are.

What size used Kenjas are you looking at? Are they mounted with a demo binding or will you have to have the bindings remounted? What are the graphics on the top sheet, and I can tell you if they are rockered or not. If there is a lot of rocker, you will need to go longer.

There's a lot of difference between the K2's at 80 underfoot and the Kenja's 90 underfoot. I happen to like the wider ski for different conditions. On groomers, I just fly. In chopped up heavy snow, they cut through the piles. There's not so much float in deep powder, but the K2 LuvSicks won't have it either.

It's so hard to choose a ski without a demo because each person's preferences are so different. I've hopped on a demo ski and I knew in three turns that it wasn't the ski for me. Or I pushed a different demo ski to its limit and it put a smile on my face.

Also, I would suggest that you listen to MarzNC and Volklgirl about getting new boots with a proper fitting. I agree that well-fitted boots can make all the difference. Whenever I fly to ski, I always take my boots in my carryon so they are never lost. I can rent a pair of skis, but I would never be satisfied in anything but my own boots.

One final opinion that may be sacrilegious on this forum...I don't believe that there is a huge, discernible difference between men's and women's skis except for the top sheet design. How much difference is there between a man and a woman who is 5'7" 150#. Center of gravity? How much does that really affect a ski? Although many Divas will disagree with me, I have wondered how cost effective it is for a company to redesign a woman-specific ski. What real engineering and material differences are changed? Maybe a woman's ski is easier to flex, if they have truly re-engineered the core. I'm no expert, but my skeptical side has always wondered.

My final answer is: get new boots and demo until you smile.

The Kenja's are available in 156 and 163. They are 2015/2016 model mounted in demo tracks. I have a friend (she used to run the ski school at a resort in the East) who found them from a friend of hers. The price is great and I could probably resell them for what I would pay for them if I don't like them. I hate to invest a lot of money when I would only be able to use them a few times. I've tried the demos at Holiday Valley in Western New York and they didn't have much. They have a much better selection on their special demo days, but I've never been able to go when they have it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My boots are about 8 years old, but I've probably only used them a total of 12-15 days. They were good quality, professionally sized and fitted. I have 4 kids and a ton of gear, so sometimes we just can't bring them.

I started skiing when I was 5 in lace-up leather Munari ski boots with wood Kastle skis and Cubco bindings. As the youngest of 5 kids, I moved up into my older siblings equipment as I went along, so I'm relatively easy to please as long as my boots aren't too soft and I can tighten them enough when I skiing steeps. I always described myself as an immediate, but my instructor laughter at that and said I was underestimating myself and the store put me in a ski that was too short (156) and too heavy, but without enough pep. I can ski aggressively when I ski with my kids, but I prefer to be a bit more relaxed.

Ah, helps a lot to know more about your history with skiing. The boots sound fine. You are 5'7", 150 lbs, and obviously a pretty decent skier. That certainly means skis that are 156cm are too short. For comparison, when I was starting to ski more regularly 10 years ago, I was just becoming an advanced skier and about the age you are now. My all-mountain skis were 154cm . . . and I'm 5'0", 112 lbs.

The Kenja's are available in 156 and 163. They are 2015/2016 model mounted in demo tracks. I have a friend (she used to run the ski school at a resort in the East) who found them from a friend of hers. The price is great and I could probably resell them for what I would pay for them if I don't like them. I hate to invest a lot of money when I would only be able to use them a few times. I've tried the demos at Holiday Valley in Western New York and they didn't have much. They have a much better selection on their special demo days, but I've never been able to go when they have it.

I was looking at a used pair of Kenjas and also K2 Luv Sicks. I think those were 2 of the skis the instructor
recommended.

My guess is that the Kenjas in 163 could be good for you when driving from your house or for trips out west. That's based on what other Divas who like Kenjas have done with theirs. Personally, I'm not a Volkl fan.

While I would not bring my Absolut Joys for a trip out west now, they are not much different in dimensions from the all-mountain skis I used for several years before buying the older version of the Black Pearls. When I was looking for new skis for trips out west, I was considering skis in the mid-80s underfoot. But remember I'm a lightweight petite woman so even for fresh powder when I rent is usually only 100 underfoot.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Twice my friend from Ohio has been disappointed in the selection of women's skis in Vail and Steamboat. Either they didn't carry the skis she wanted to try or they were "rented out". According to an employee at Christy Sports in Steamboat the secret is to go is the demo department. It's a separate area of the store from the rental shop. They carry all models of women's skis in every size. While not every ski shop would have every brand you'd still get a better selection to try than working with the rental department.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna