• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for Large Women

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any good recommendations for skis for large women? I'm about a 1X in skiwear (and, btw, have found a few great pieces for the coming season: thank you Obermeyer and LL Bean!). I really want a nimble and easy to turn ski but am concerned that my weight would be too much for typical "women's skis." Help!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can---- Demo!! There are so many skis now! What one loves others hate.
I know there is HUGE Love for Volkls on here but for me they have no pop (the Flairs are close)

I'm not a light weight I love my Renouns 165cm (but $$$) they were pretty much my 1ski quiver last winter. But again Not everyone likes them
I have Atomic Cloud 11's Very nimble, fast, quick turning but not much sweet spot not good for timid skiers have to "be on them' or can be a scary ride.
My Atomic Elysians are great for deeper snow- Western trips

Not sure what mountain you'll be skiing but often you can get a full day demo and try several skis.
The best demo is to try a few on the same day/conditions.

I'd say height and weight will affect a skis performance if you are on a ski too short- will ski slower (not a bad thing if you are just getting back into skiing)

So my #1 Pick and winner of so many awards: Blizzard Black Pearls- they win on so many accounts.. the 88's I would have bought had I not bought the Renouns. I highly suggest a demo on them, they are stable, easy turning, no tip flap, and great all mountain ski.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for reminding me of what my rational side knows! I need to demo this season. That said I am jonesing for a pair of Black Pearls! After all I've read, and not just on this site, I've made up my mind that they are perfect-lol!

I get your buying the Renouns; I had Volants back in the day and they filled the same market niche I think.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski the first iteration of Black Pearls (2012). Am "" this close "" to buying the new ones. I'm 5'2", and have the 159 length. If I were lighter, truly petite -- example @marzNC -- 152 could be ok. At my weight, though, 159 has been great, not too long to manage. Of course you'll want to start slow, ease back into this sliding sport we all love. I can only speak for myself.

SKI magazine named the 2019 BP's as their top Tested and top Value ski, for what it's worth!

After all I've read, and not just on this site, I've made up my mind that they are perfect-lol!
Yeah, I fall prey to this mode of thinking... Demoing is the way to go, for sure.

Last edited:

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for that perspective VickiK. I was thinking about going with the 159 as well. And I also saw SKI magazine's report! It's so hard NOT to buy these, especially when there are such good prices for last season's skis. I have to keep telling myself that if I demo this year, that gives me that much more $ to spend on boots, if necessary, in October!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of skis will be good, or good enough. For the cost of skis, best to demo. One size (brand, length, width, region skied) does not fit all!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto, demo!
I'm 5'8" and XL, intermediate and I always end up on men's skis.
Recommendations would depend on where you ski, how aggressive you are, and what you're looking for in a ski.
FWIW I ski the Volkl RTM 84 on normal east coast days and have a pair of Nordica Soul Rider 97s for spring mush. Oops, also bought Volkl 90eights last spring. I demoed them for a full day but haven't yet mounted or skied the pair I bought.
If I were looking to buy skis, I would definitely look at the new Black Pearl.
Enjoy the search!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes same ski.. I demo'd the 159 but I do ski hard and fast.. they made my old knees hurt so my notes said get the 164's (think next size up is 164) I have older BP's terrible tip flap on the old skis None on the new version..

I grew up on men's skis (racing on boy's team) My first lady skis were atomic metrons. that have now become my cloud 11's I like they are not heavy, I get to ski the ski, not have the ski 'ski' me..

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@nopoleskier How tall are you? I'm 5'2".

about 5'5 and XL weight. I think you'll be fine on the 159's...
I like to ski fast and due to my weight the shorter BP's don't go as fast and why they made my knee hurt, I had 'push' them harder.

Getting back into skiing you don't need to go fast, you need stability, reliability and Fun! I think you'll love the BP's The Rep handed them to me and said I would "lust' after them Haha I did.. If I didn't have the z-90's I would have bought them for sure!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna