• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Skis for 18-year-old aspiring intermediate

alison wong

Angel Diva
Looking something for my 18-year-old nephew.

Height: 170 cm (about 5'7")
Weight: 64 kg (about 141 lbs)

I consider him as an aspiring intermediate, skied 4 weeks total prior (Four 1-wk long trips in Europe and Canada). Prefers groomed runs.

Terrains I think he will be skiing: out west, maybe somewhere midwest for short trips (?) if he joins school's ski club.

He goes to college in the Midwest. For the next 4 years, I expect to take him on ski trips during school breaks. I think it makes better sense to go west than east.

He will be going to Snowshoe, WV with me next MLK weekend. I won't be able to take him during his spring break in March because of work commitment.
To make up for that, I told him i can take him to A Basin in May after he finishes spring semester.

With that said, I think all mountain skis will do?

Not looking for something hi end or something he will grow into... because I think he will probably have 10 ski days (at most) per season.... I just want something he can enjoy right now, easy and forgiving...

I bought him a pair of ski boots already. For skis, the shop recommends Dynaster Legend x80 (80 underfoot), 159 length.

Any recommendations you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For skis, the shop recommends Dynaster Legend x80 (80 underfoot), 159 length.
What type of trails was he skiing at the last big mountain you two skied together? Mostly blue? Is he near one of the Epic or Peak midwest ski areas?

My first all-mountain skis were 75 underfoot with a wide tip. The Legend 80 seems comparable.

alison wong

Angel Diva
He goes to college in Indiana. Closest mountain is in Michigan, Wisconsin. Never skied in Michigan, I've skied in Devil's Head in WI twice, I do not recommend that mountain... have no desire to revisit. Hence I probably won't bring him there.

Yes, mostly blue groomed trails. Don't think he can really do ungroomed runs. I don't know what Epic or Peak resorts are in midwest.

He does not drive so traveling alone to MI is out of the question, unless he goes w/ a school ski club.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For ski length I would think somewhere around 160- 166, so a 159 is basically within range. And for width 80 - 85. On your previous trips when you have rented, was it always the basic rental ski set up, or did he have choices of brand? And if he did have choices, was there one he seemed to like better?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Of the 2 trips I went w/ him, one trip he got Salomon x-drive 154 cm (Val D'Isere) - it worked well for him and rental package he got was the performance ski.
I can't remember what skis he got when we went to Whistler the year prior - it worked well also, I only recalled it was a basic package.

The other 2 trips, he went w/ his high school to Verbier. He said they got cheap rentals and they were bad.

I don't think he knows enough (neither am i) as to what brand he prefers.... i.e. noticed any differences between brands. (only difference he noticed was, skis he rented for the 2 trips I went w/ him was far better than the cheap rentals he got from his school trips).

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
He should keep his waist width (on the skis)! below 82mm. Since he is an aspiring intermediate, a narrower ski is paramount to developing good skills. That width is fine in 6-8” of snow, and superior to wider skis in groomed terrain (as well as bumps, when he decides to go there).

alison wong

Angel Diva
We have few local ski swaps coming.( next week is Sun and ski annual sale in falls church Question: how much would pre-owned skis cost? What is the price range?
I am looking for a pair of skis for my nephew. Shop recommended $500 Dynastar Legend 80 mm underfoot, 159 in length.

Would i be label to find it something equivalent to the spec? If is, what would be the price range for pre-owned ski If it is close to $400, i'd rather pay for the new one

Thoughts?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might call the shop sponsoring the Swap and ask about the typical inventory. I attended some swaps in the DC area when I lived there ... some swaps tended to be NOS from the shop plus old, "well-used" (beat up) stuff from customers that were priced under $100. Other swaps drew better inventory, but also higher prices.

Is Sun and Ski a large Swap?

alison wong

Angel Diva
If you’re looking at the dynastar x80, that can be found new online for $360.
There is one on eBay, demo skis (w/ demo bindings) used 20-25 days. $275 + $30 shipping.

You might call the shop sponsoring the Swap and ask about the typical inventory. I attended some swaps in the DC area when I lived there ... some swaps tended to be NOS from the shop plus old, "well-used" (beat up) stuff from customers that were priced under $100. Other swaps drew better inventory, but also higher prices.

Is Sun and Ski a large Swap?

I asked the shop, owner said he would not know until the day of. He suggested me to show up early on swap day. This shop has the skis I am looking for, sale price $459. It is a local business.

Sun and Ski is not having a swap (to my knowledge), it will have an annual sale this weekend, with stocks from their shops in other states. The skis i m looking for, according to Sun and Ski annual sale brochure, it will be $500.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna