• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with osteopenia and/or osteoporosis

newboots

Angel Diva
I believe I ordered the Designs for Health collagen on Amazon. It’s expensive. But better than a broken bone!

@santacruz skier I’m going to search PubMed and see if I can find that article.

newboots

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Finally found it!

Thanks. I'll have to mention it to my endocrinologist (surprise ! they do osteoporosis treatment). Think it might get nixed though. Basically, MD told me if you want to ski, you need to take something. I'm at risk with low body weight, small boned, family history, etc etc. I really like my new doctor and totally trust her. I will run this by her though and see what she thinks.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks. I'll have to mention it to my endocrinologist (surprise ! they do osteoporosis treatment). Think it might get nixed though. Basically, MD told me if you want to ski, you need to take something. I'm at risk with low body weight, small boned, family history, etc etc. I really like my new doctor and totally trust her. I will run this by her though and see what she thinks.
I had treatment with Fosamax many years ago. It improved my dexa scores for some time, but now the scores are just as bad. These are such hard choices!

I also use a highly absorbable Calcium, Vit. D, and Krill Oil, daily.
I have to see an endocrinologist too, to follow up on this now that I have to take steroids (inhaler).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes my scores were improved 8 yrs ago and now same issue. But I knew that. Not good to take osteoporosis drugs more than 5 yrs. So I stopped for 4 yrs. Now back on for a couple years. Dexa test in January.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes my scores were improved 8 yrs ago and now same issue. But I knew that. Not good to take osteoporosis drugs more than 5 yrs. So I stopped for 4 yrs. Now back on for a couple years. Dexa test in January.
Crossing my fingers for you! I’ve been off the meds for around 10 years.

If it’s not one thing, it’s another

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Crossing my fingers for you! I’ve been off the meds for around 10 years.

If it’s not one thing, it’s another
Been taking Boniva for 6 months but my blood work was much, much better (some test that tells how quickly bone turnover is). Dexascan may not show vast improvement yet.
Really, this was my only choice as much as I didn't want to take anything for many reasons. I'm super active and do risky sports. Period.
I trust my MD so will follow her instructions but will mention supplements you linked.

newboots

Angel Diva
Been taking Boniva for 6 months but my blood work was much, much better (some test that tells how quickly bone turnover is). Dexascan may not show vast improvement yet.
Really, this was my only choice as much as I didn't want to take anything for many reasons. I'm super active and do risky sports. Period.
I trust my MD so will follow her instructions but will mention supplements you linked.
The vitamin D and a substance in Krill Oil (begins with a . . .) help the calcium to be absorbed.

Good luck!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m all for alternative treatment if possible but I’m going with my MD’s recommendation for now. I need to be smart at this as do not want to jeopardize my life style. Believe me I would rather not be taking anything .

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh! Don't take my posts for recommendations. Just my own research, passing it along. Nobody has suggested I go on bisphosphonates (or something) now, but I think I should see an endocrinologist. That is who handled my osteoporosis in the past. The improvement that happened with the Fosamax has disappeared after these 10 years. But most of all, I need to exercise more!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Agreed. I definitely plan to see an endocrinologist early in the new year. In the meantime I have increased my intake of Calcium etc Whatever is going on in my body needs to be treated as quickly and as thoroughly as possible.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Rereading this thread tonight because I can't sleep. I Googled "skiing with osteoperosis" and it popped up. I started at the beginning and was amazed to realize that I was diagnosed with osteopenia and took Fosamax around 2006-2009. I didn't think it was that long ago.

I just got another Dexascan and I have mild osteopenia in my hips. My spine is fine. However, I had my wrist scanned because they don't have the ability to scan my legs. I fear that I definitely have osteoperosis in my wrist. I have read that the wrist score is generally lower than the hips and spine. What does this say about my arms and legs? I will discuss this with my PCP and with my endocrinologist.

I received my Dexascan scores on Friday, one day AFTER the final day to get the best price on the Ikon pass. I bought the pass. Would I have done things differently if I had known my scores the previous day? Right now I'm not sure. I know that I can defer the pass if I don't feel ready to ski by December 8.

It's comforting to reread the responses here and to know that others are skiing with osteoperosis. I rarely fall but I took a couple of mild falls last season without any issues. Then came December 4 when my world came crashing down.

Can I ski without ever falling? What will the consequences be if I do fall? Am I going to be too anxious to enjoy myself next season? All I can do is continue to exercise, eat right, take my supplements and my Fosamax. I wish there were a blueprint for this stuff.

In terms of leg and body strength, I expect to be ready by December. But I know that it will take much longer to rebuild my bones. I'm pretty sure that I will ski when conditions get good this coming winter. It's who I am and what I do.

newboots

Angel Diva
I think you'll gain confidence as you're able to exercise more and more. I hope so! :hug:

Signed,

Fellow osteo gal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly