• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with osteopenia and/or osteoporosis

leenski

Certified Ski Diva
I too am a member of the osteopenia club. I just had my first bone density scan done last year at age 51. Although tall and thin, 5' 8" and 115 lbs forever, I thought I was fine. Ate and exercised well my whole life (born and raised a farm girl). I ran for 28 years until the neuromas in both feet stopped that about about 3 years ago. So, interestingly enough, I have osteopenia in my spine, but the doctor said my hips are like a 25 year old. So I guess the running probably helped the hips, but not the back. Or the biking took a toll on the back. Right now I'm just doing the calcium/vit D/magnesium route. Won't know until the next one if I need to change that. But as far as skiing, I'm still the same. Just need to go even more now!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At age 59, I've had osteopenia in the hip and osteoporosis in the lower spine (or vice versa, can never remember which) for 10 or so years.

I've been on meds plus calcium pills and have been running and weight lifting all that time, plus started skiing 6 years ago. My bone density numbers have not changed much over these 10 years.

I've broken the usual bones (toes three times, ribs twice) during that time. When I ski, I fall a lot, and since I live in New England it's usually on hard snow. I take risks skiing. At first I followed others at speeds beyond what my newbie skills could control, and that caused plenty of falls. I'm a better skier now, but still enjoy pushing the envelope all the time. The only one of those broken bones that resulted from skiing was the broken rib, caused by a face plant at Jay Peak while skiing something bumped up at a reasonable speed. No, I broke the other rib skiing too, but can't remember how. I kept skiing anyway, both times. All these bones healed up just fine, at the usual rate, according to my doctors. Faster, actually.

My point is that I ski as if I did not have air holes in my bones, and so far so good. Perhaps that's possible for others too.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
"Thinks he is young at heart"? He is! At over 2/3 rds of a century, I don't plan on being old at heart for another 20 years!

Ditto. And when I'm skiing, I feel 20! And I don't worry about any osteopenia I have (which the doc says is very very minor).

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I really need to get back to a weight bearing routine.
I ride bike, work with an agility ladder and jump rope but do little else for weight training in the past couple years.

Thus far, I have strong bones, but that can change before I realize it.

You CAN get weight bearing exercise from riding, if you ride at a high resistance (big gears), especially when climbing. The effect is very similar to lifting weights and is used as a substitute for lifting.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
You CAN get weight bearing exercise from riding, if you ride at a high resistance (big gears), especially when climbing. The effect is very similar to lifting weights and is used as a substitute for lifting.

I need to correct myself here. Cycling at high resistance will build strength but is not weight-bearing. I don't really understand weight-bearing vs. non-weight bearing. For example, I know that doing squats is weight-bearing, but using a leg press is not.

Liverpool Lil

Certified Ski Diva
At age 59, I've had osteopenia in the hip and osteoporosis in the lower spine (or vice versa, can never remember which) for 10 or so years.

I've been on meds plus calcium pills and have been running and weight lifting all that time, plus started skiing 6 years ago. My bone density numbers have not changed much over these 10 years.

I've broken the usual bones (toes three times, ribs twice) during that time. When I ski, I fall a lot, and since I live in New England it's usually on hard snow. I take risks skiing. At first I followed others at speeds beyond what my newbie skills could control, and that caused plenty of falls. I'm a better skier now, but still enjoy pushing the envelope all the time. The only one of those broken bones that resulted from skiing was the broken rib, caused by a face plant at Jay Peak while skiing something bumped up at a reasonable speed. No, I broke the other rib skiing too, but can't remember how. I kept skiing anyway, both times. All these bones healed up just fine, at the usual rate, according to my doctors. Faster, actually.

My point is that I ski as if I did not have air holes in my bones, and so far so good. Perhaps that's possible for others too.
I've been recently diagnosed with osteoporosis/osteopenia in hip/spine but have just booked a ski trip to France in January. You girls have really inspired me - I live to ski and I'm not giving up yet! I'll let you know how I get on.

Liverpool Lil

Certified Ski Diva
I've been recently diagnosed with osteoporosis/osteopenia in hip/spine but have just booked a ski trip to France in January. You girls have really inspired me - I live to ski and I'm not giving up yet! I'll let you know how I get on.
I said I'd let you know how I got on - well we had three girls (all in our sixties) in our group and one delightful French ski moniteur and had a terrific week. We did have great snow conditions and were able to do some off piste skiing. Can't report on the osteoporosis thing as I didn't have a fall, just a bit of I what a call the occasional sit down!!
The worst thing was the delay getting back to Heathrow - as an Englishwoman as I was embarrassed that everything seemed to close down after only a couple of inches of snow! Can't wait for my next trip!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe @marzNC started a thread about workouts that would help build bone strength (density) in middle-age, since the last post in this thread (2013). I'm hoping to find it for you @skibum4ever .

Maybe it's this one: "Dealing with osteopenia, ways to increase bone density".

So many good resources across the many threads here on The Ski Diva. I'm grateful for the Search Forums function and for the focus on women's health.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was thinking about starting a thread in divas only (is there one) where divas could share their experience/thoughts about osteopenia and osteoporosis .

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I would especially like to know whether anyone has had my experience of doing well with bone density tests then having a traumatic experience. Or has found out in some other way that the tests did not actually describe the reality of their bone strength.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have been doing some reading on osteoporosis. I carry the diagnosis, and although I had a long round of bisphosphonate treatment years ago, it came back.

I read up on natural ways to control or reverse it. I found research that cited a particular type of collagen, distributed by a company named Design for Health. The researchers said they were not affiliated with the manufacturer.

I’ve started using it - it’s a great source of protein. And of course, weight training and weight-bearing exercise are essential.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have been doing some reading on osteoporosis. I carry the diagnosis, and although I had a long round of bisphosphonate treatment years ago, it came back.

I read up on natural ways to control or reverse it. I found research that cited a particular type of collagen, distributed by a company named Design for Health. The researchers said they were not affiliated with the manufacturer.

I’ve started using it - it’s a great source of protein. And of course, weight training and weight-bearing exercise are essential.
It absolutely comes back........ taking Boniva now. Hate the idea but hate the idea of a likely fracture more.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

link?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
52 years old. Osteoporosis of the spine, osteopenia of the hip. Vit D deficient and supplementing for 2 years. Just had my second dexa scan a month ago. It was fine 10 years ago. Now on more D and calcium, also eat tons of K so no extra supplementation there. I did drink a lot of coffee and corticosteroids for asthma with significant dose increase 2 years ago. Irregular exercise regimen until 2 months ago. Mother had severe Osteoporosis and broke vertebrae while laying bed.

I do recall reading and hearing from a local orthopedic surgeon that impact workouts are better than simple weight training. The assumption being that the person is healthy enough to not break bones from impact activities like jumping rope, running etc....

I guess skiing bumps is a good one as long as this is OK with the doc! Good thing then that with about 10 per cent of runs open they bump up by lunchtime.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
52 years old. Osteoporosis of the spine, osteopenia of the hip. Vit D deficient and supplementing for 2 years. Just had my second dexa scan a month ago. It was fine 10 years ago. Now on more D and calcium, also eat tons of K so no extra supplementation there. I did drink a lot of coffee and corticosteroids for asthma with significant dose increase 2 years ago. Irregular exercise regimen until 2 months ago. Mother had severe Osteoporosis and broke vertebrae while laying bed.

I do recall reading and hearing from a local orthopedic surgeon that impact workouts are better than simple weight training. The assumption being that the person is healthy enough to not break bones from impact activities like jumping rope, running etc....

I guess skiing bumps is a good one as long as this is OK with the doc! Good thing then that with about 10 per cent of runs open they bump up by lunchtime.
Osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia of the hip here, also. I get an infusion of something for it once a year, and that's it, no pills. I run. And ski. The numbers stay pretty constant. It's never gone away and returned, and I get checked every year. I wonder why. My diagnosis was in my 40s, and I'm in my 70s now. I can live with this.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to use the Designs For Health pea protein powder, which I liked, but then I switched to a grass-fed whey isolate because it was just easier to order through Amazon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna