• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with De Quervain’s Tendosynovitis?

Joey

Diva in Training
Hi Ladies, I'm sorry that everyone's ski season came to such a sudden halt this year and I hope that you and your families and loved ones are all safe and sound. I found this post really useful last year and thought I'd give you an update in case my experiences are of use and interest to any fellow sufferers. I broke my wrist at the beginning of 2020 and spent 6 weeks with my left arm in a cast and hence not moving the wrist at all and didn't ski until the cast was removed and then used a brace. Sadly, that was only a couple of weeks until France closed down. As a result the huge bony lump associated with the de quervains/tendinopathy on my left wrist disappeared. I had de quervains in both wrists and was skiing without poles (very liberating) in 2019 and doing lots of physio and deep tissue massage and being careful on my bikes in the summer. Right now I have no de quervains in either wrist and nothing when I do a Finkelstein test. I am doing strengthening exercises in both wrists as the last set the physio gave me for the de quervains are much the same as the ones for the broken wrist. So, it's been a long haul to get my wrists feeling "normal" again including an unfortunate period of complete rest in a cast which helped the bony lump reabsorb (I think this is what has happened) I'm really conscious of my wrists and am taking lots of care of angles when cycling and not doing too much at once and sticking with the exercises. I'm not sure what caused the de quervains to start with but from reading around I think it's age / tendon degradation and overuse by rushing at each new activity as the seasons change. I'm also not drinking alcohol at the moment which can only help with inflammation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly