• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing while pregnant?

theyardsaleexpert

Certified Ski Diva
After my first ski trip this season I got a surprise and found out I’m pregnant. I’ve had differing advice from doctor’s. One said it’s fine and to take it easy, while the other said that my ski season has ended this year and no skiing. What did most people do while pregnant? Did any of the ladies here ski? If so, any advice skiing while pregnant?

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! I skied during both my pregnancies, although only could schedule one holiday ski trip each time, at around 4-5 months. One doctor said the baby was safer skiing than I was, well protected in the womb. Another said within reason it’s ok to continue doing what your body is used to doing, whether that’s riding or skiing or swimming,etc. It’s just not the time to start something new. Good luck!

newboots

Angel Diva
Congratulations! ... Paging @Obrules15 for an informed opinion.

There is another thread, started by someone who wanted to ski an unfamiliar resort in a foreign country (Niseko) at 27 weeks. That was pretty much a “no!”

If it’s very early in your pregnancy, your baby is a tiny collection of cells. So there’s that, but I don’t know how big is too big. Beware changes in your center of mass; even very early your weight distribution changes. (Do you need a bigger bra yet? :becky:). But I would ask the doctors for more details, to help in your decision. One No and one Yes doesn’t give you much help!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After my first ski trip this season I got a surprise and found out I’m pregnant. I’ve had differing advice from doctor’s. One said it’s fine and to take it easy, while the other said that my ski season has ended this year and no skiing. What did most people do while pregnant? Did any of the ladies here ski? If so, any advice skiing while pregnant?
How far along?

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
Woot! Congrats! I've spent 2 of the last 5 winters pregnant and skied a bit during both, ending at 20 weeks both times per my doctor's recommendation. I have a friend that skied until much further along, but 20 weeks felt right to me. It depends on so many factors. I sought out an OB who was active and understood my lifestyle, that helped a lot.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied until I was about 4-5 months along, but that's because that's when spring came. I stuck to greens and blues in good condition, skied slower than normal, and really just played things VERY safe. It's not risk free, so it's a very personal decision. And congratulations!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I turned out OK and my mom was skiing Cannon Mt. while pregnant w/me (and that, btw, was the winter of 1959). :thumbsup:

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend’s doctor said skiing is not a problem but if something happens and she needs surgery or something that is always an extra risk for the baby. We went skiing once but she was not really comfortable, slightly worried, tired, off balance (she only skis telemark, so the extra weight was a bigger deal than with alpine).

newboots

Angel Diva
Its not just the extra weight, it’s the fine tuning of balance, the familiarity you have with your skiing body disrupted by your weight being moved to new places.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
No skiing? What century is this dr from? Seriously, the idea of curtailing a sport you normally do, in a healthy pregnancy, is very old-school thinking. The comment I'm not seeing is that if you are comfortable with an activity, your body will let you know what the limits are. It's built into our genes to be mindful of the pregnancy. You know instinctively that your body feels different; movement isn't the same, you've got a baby in there. I skied easy blues and greens until 5 months and after that it just didn't feel right.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No skiing? What century is this dr from? Seriously, the idea of curtailing a sport you normally do, in a healthy pregnancy, is very old-school thinking. The comment I'm not seeing is that if you are comfortable with an activity, your body will let you know what the limits are. It's built into our genes to be mindful of the pregnancy. You know instinctively that your body feels different; movement isn't the same, you've got a baby in there. I skied easy blues and greens until 5 months and after that it just didn't feel right.
Unless you fall, have a massive placental accident and the baby dies. It's not about the sport.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I suppose. As a lifetime active person, whose social circles include pro atheteles of various discipline, no one I know has ever given up thier sport for risk of fall unless the pregnancy had risk factors.I looked it up: fall risk to the placenta is associated with trauma accidents, not tipping over. Ultimately it is between a woman and her doctor, and I still say if your doc only allows the most basic of excercise, get a second opinion as the thinking has really changed in the lasts 40 years. The heart rate limitations are gone. Sure you might quit the mountain bike trails and stay on the bike path instead, stay on the easy ski runs instead of the steeps. Eventually the belly gets in the way and it feels awkward enough that you quit. I know many women who have successfully skied, bikes, swam, run, crossfitted, zumba'd until the belly got in the way or the nature of the pregnancy changed. I looked it up: fall risk to the placenta is associated with trauma accidents, not tipping over.

You can fall down the stairs, get hit by a car while walking, slip in the shower, car accident.....everyone chooses thier own risk level.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@geargrrl what do you think happens when you tip over and fall? You hit your belly. Trauma includes tipping over falls. The last trauma c/s I did was for a fall.

I think that there is some confusion about what the concerns are when skiing while pregnant. For the most part, the skiing part is fine and it is very old fashioned to consider exercise in pregnancy to be problematic. It is in fact likely extremely healthy for a pregnant woman to exercise.

However, the issues surrounding skiing while pregnant are not about exercise, they are about falling.

Up until 12-14 weeks the uterus is still inside the pelvis and protected on all sides so unless you get T-Boned in a major car accident and end up with a broken pelvis, your pregnancy is safe and skiing is fine.

24 weeks is considered the cusp of viability (some places consider 22-23wks) after that age a baby could survive (though the morbidity free survival rate is 3%).

The issues change once a pregnancy is viable because distance from a facility that can rapidly deliver your baby in an emergency becomes a real concern. It's actually the same problem with snowmobiling accidents (which also have a high morbidity and mortality rate). It's not the injury or the accident, it's the amount of time it takes to get to a facility.

The other issue is that once you hit about 20 weeks your body starts to change more and more rapidly. Certain times during the pregnancy can actually see the baby grow 2-4 ounces per day. That is seriously going to affect your balance and increase the risk for a fall.

Finally, the falls themselves. There is a trauma scoring system that works well to determine severity of injury and likelihood of survival in non-pregnant people. In pregnancy there is no equivalent scoring system because there have been fetal demises associated with minimal trauma. There is no predictable way to equate severity of injury or fall with likelihood of adverse outcomes.

The main problem is that the placenta is not permanently attached to the side of the uterus, and in fact that interface is created to fail after delivery of the child. The closer to full term, the more tenuous the placental/uterine interface. This is where falls without direct abdominal trauma can be an issue. A bounce and butt slide can induce shearing forces (placenta moving at different speeds than uterus) which can cause placental separation (emulates post delivery forces).

Furthermore in direct trauma most of you is compressible (fat, muscle, guts) but the placenta is not compressible and amniotic fluid is not compressible. Therefore what happens if everything but the placenta gets compressed. Again, forces which lead to placental separation.

Basically the most important issue is how far along you are. Prior to 16 weeks, not a problem. After around 22 weeks, big problem. 16-22 weeks shades of grey.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... You can fall down the stairs, get hit by a car while walking, slip in the shower, car accident.....everyone chooses thier own risk level.

I guess this is the part that confuses me, @Obrules15. There are SO MANY things we do in day to day life that have a risk of injury, but I never hear pregnant women being advised to limit driving, for example. It seems like the advice is "limit physically risky things, except the risky things that we do all the time without thinking about it, because we're a little blind to those."

I'd be curious to hear your general approach as to how you advise women to change their lifestyles (or not) while pregnant, given all the risks of being out & about in the world while growing a small human in your body.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@geargrrl and @RachelV, permit me to step in here. I hear what you're saying. And part of me agrees with you. To be sure, we all have to participate in risky activities every day of our lives. We can't hole ourselves up or wrap ourselves in cotton just because we're pregnant.

I am not an OB/GYN, and all this is my personal opinion. But I did lose a child at full term (I talk about this pretty extensively here). And even though it wasn't because of a fall or an accident, it's probably made me much more risk averse than many others here. My feeling is that yes, while there are many things we have to do to get by in our daily lives -- like showering and driving and walking -- skiing isn't really one of them (and as you all know, I love to ski). If I was pregnant today and there was something I could do that would actively minimize my risk of something bad happening, I would definitely cut out skiing. No question. Then again, I'm probably still speaking from the trauma -- trust me, it never leaves you -- so keep that in mind. But as I said, this is my personal opinion. Each to their own.

Last edited:

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess this is the part that confuses me, @Obrules15. There are SO MANY things we do in day to day life that have a risk of injury, but I never hear pregnant women being advised to limit driving, for example. It seems like the advice is "limit physically risky things, except the risky things that we do all the time without thinking about it, because we're a little blind to those."

I'd be curious to hear your general approach as to how you advise women to change their lifestyles (or not) while pregnant, given all the risks of being out & about in the world while growing a small human in your body.

There are a lot of things we say that don't necessarily come up in day to conversations. We don't say to limit driving, but we have very explicit instructions on how to wear a seat belt. For cross country trips in the car we tell women to stop the car every 45 minutes to stretch. Get up out of your airplane seat every 45 minutes. Can't eat hot dogs, lunch meat, fish, or unpasteurized soft cheese. No socks when walking around the house, (or stupid cute shoes). We tell them to hold on to the rails when going down stairs, etc., etc. IMHO carpeted stairs are from the devil. There are many more things even than this list.

I just heard a story (at a Critical Care Ob Conference) about a couple who got into a fender bender while in formal attire on their way to the opera. No direct abdominal trauma, no airbag deployment, but at 8 months pregnant the shearing forces were enough to cause placental separation. Luckily the husband insisted on the wife getting checked out because..............They had a beautiful baby via emergency c/s within minutes of arrival to the hospital.

Most of the day to day risks happen in places that are a swift ambulance ride away from a level 1 trauma center and people like me. If you get to me in time, I can fix it (mostly). If you are too far away, there's nothing I can do. That's my line in the sand.

Honestly, @ski diva has it right. If something horrible happens, you don't want to be in the position of having caused it or having put yourself in a position that makes it worse. There are certain things that are not worth the risk.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Obrules15, are you an obgyn? I defer to your expertise then.

More than that, this is really my area of expertise. I am a full time Laborist/Ob-Gyn Hospitalist (which means I specialize in Ob/Gyn emergencies) and Medical Director of the L&D Triage/OB ED Unit.

Most obstetricians do not see what I do working in a Level 1 Trauma center, and so tons of OB's get this wrong as well, they just don't have the experience.

99.9% everything in the OB world is just fine. The problem is if you are the 0.1%. Pay attention to @ski diva, not the words, but the emotion behind her posts even this many years later. Most women do not talk about it at all.

You hear all the good stories, the stories about how everything worked out, but I guarantee you no one talks about the failures.

There are just some things that I never want to happen to any woman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna