• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing Well and Skiing Bumps

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually still working on carving somewhat, as my old straight ski habits die hard. When I think about it, I can carve. Often probably more of a smear.

I think part of my frustration is I grew up able to ski any conditions comfortably and I would like to get back there.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is a quote from Josh Matta. He's a Dev Team ski instructor out of Stowe who posts on Pugski regularly.

I've skied with Josh Matta extensively. Recently. He's a fantastic skier, an enthusiastic teacher, kind and understanding with frightened clients. He's not the ego-driven person with no tact that he seemed to be online, back then on EpicSki. Not at all. I recommend him is a teacher for anyone. He was great fun to ski with. You'll find him at Stowe.

However, that old quote just won't die.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ Interesting. I get that testosterone-fueled comments came fast and furious on Epicski, and that particular one has enough pithy elegance that it continues to live on, and I have enough lack of self-confidence/moxie to buy into it. Good to know your experience of the guy, @liquidfeet .

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've spent decades avoiding bumps....but DH is working with me to change that. I'm learning to not avoid them (step 1); next--- angulate more (hard for my old bones), and trust my turns. The bottom line is that I can ski bumps now, not always pretty turns like DH's, but that I'm inconsistent. Some days I nail it, others, I suck---but I guess that's progress.

One comment to an earlier comment. Skiing bump runs is not like skiing tree runs. They are very different skill sets--at least for me. I LOVE tree runs---I prefer them to almost any other type of skiing. The shade keeps the snow softer longer. There are fewer/no other skiers to worry about. You can pick your own way down. It's magical. Bump runs require more angulation and knee action----floating through trees is mostly foot work. At least that's how I feel it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Skiing bump runs is not like skiing tree runs. They are very different skill sets--at least for me. I LOVE tree runs---I prefer them to almost any other type of skiing. The shade keeps the snow softer longer. There are fewer/no other skiers to worry about. You can pick your own way down. It's magical. Bump runs require more angulation and knee action----floating through trees is mostly foot work. At least that's how I feel it.
Quite the opposite for me. It was following you in the soft snow in the trees at Solitude that started me down the path of wanted to deal with bumps in order to have the skills I needed to really enjoy the trees out west. Jason was liked trees and bumps when we started doing trips out west together. So I had someone to ski with on that sort of terrain. Trees a day or two or three after a powder storm when the easily accessed powder terrain was tracked out are great fun!

My Massanutten coach taught one lesson to me and a couple of L2 instructors talking about floating like water along the top ridge of the bumps. Did some of that at Taos too last season.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I've spent decades avoiding bumps....but DH is working with me to change that. I'm learning to not avoid them (step 1); next--- angulate more (hard for my old bones), and trust my turns. The bottom line is that I can ski bumps now, not always pretty turns like DH's, but that I'm inconsistent. Some days I nail it, others, I suck---but I guess that's progress.

One comment to an earlier comment. Skiing bump runs is not like skiing tree runs. They are very different skill sets--at least for me. I LOVE tree runs---I prefer them to almost any other type of skiing. The shade keeps the snow softer longer. There are fewer/no other skiers to worry about. You can pick your own way down. It's magical. Bump runs require more angulation and knee action----floating through trees is mostly foot work. At least that's how I feel it.

So glad you are starting to feel more comfortable in bumps. I think they can be great fun. With regard to tree skiing and bump skiing, they may be very different things but it is also the case that tree runs are also bump runs. Just depends on how recently it has snowed.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So glad you are starting to feel more comfortable in bumps. I think they can be great fun. With regard to tree skiing and bump skiing, they may be very different things but it is also the case that tree runs are also bump runs. Just depends on how recently it has snowed.

For the most part in the east in my experience that is the case, tree runs are usually bump runs with trees added in. I'm actually a little more wary of tree runs right after a snowstorm that covers the bumps because I'm afraid of what I can't see under the snow. Once they are bumped up you can usually see what else was hiding in the way like stumps/rocks/roots etc. I guess if it's a lot of recent snow you don't have to worry as much, but I'm always in awe of those who careen through without being able to see what's under that beautiful white blanket.

Jilly

Staff member
Most tree runs I've been on are bump runs too. I don't feel that bump runs need more angulation. At least our CSIA method is pivoting and steering. Not so much edging. Lots of flexion and extension though, aka knees. Let the next bump slow you down. Use the contours of the bumps to aid in speed and steering.

katyski

Diva in Training
Great forum, lots of wonderful information! I want to purchase an all mountain mogul ski for an Intermediate/Advanced skier. I have skied Armada's TSTw 165's for about 6 years now and am in the market for something more dynamic in the bumps and trees. I have been working very hard on my mogul skills at MaryJane and need something specifically for that terrain. There is just not enough pivot speed in my turns on the moguls and I'm really ready to go faster. I just demoed a pair of Blizzard BP 88's at 165 and found them fun but too long and still a bit slow to pivot. After much research I have the following list and am curious if I'm on the right track? I am 5'6" and weight 130lbs. I'm thinking 159ish for length? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Volkl Yumi
My Mtn 84 Fisher
Dynastar Legand W 84
Armada Victa 83 or 93

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try the BP in a 159. The Fischers are another nice ski. The Yumis come in a 163 I believe, which could be a magical length for you. But, the BP in a 159 is one maneuverable and fun ski.

MissySki

Angel Diva
A little wider than most on your list, but I have to say that the Black Crows Camox Birdie is one of the most swively/pivoty skis I've been on. I'm not good at moguls, and they had my confidence way up in terrain that's usually way harder for me because of how quickly I could turn them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly