• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing shutting down in Europe. Already. Can it happen in North America?

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's not just American men either. There was a report published in a public health journal that was done by Chinese researchers based on available data for COVID-19 in the spring. They also looked at SARS from 2003. Bottom line is that men had worse outcomes then women for both coronaviruses. The CDC published a report in July that looked at gender differences for multiple countries.

During the summer when I drove thru downtown Asheville around dinner time (we didn't eat there), there was many family groups where the father and/or grandfather were the only family members without a mask as they walked between shops. At Biltmore Estate and Gardens (privately owned), masks are required. Men are far more likely to put on their mask at the last minute or take it off as soon as they go out the door.

newboots

Angel Diva
I see that often! Mostly when I'm at the supermarket in Claremont, NH, or in the village of Woodstock

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I hope you pass the time pleasantly and with ease, @SkiGAP! What unsettling times we live in.

Thanks! My personal situation here is quite good compared to most others even if my industry (aviation) is being brutalized. And we are "allowed" to go out for groceries, running/outdoor workouts (1hr limit), picking up online orders, going to work if necessary, etc. We just must have our "attestation" with us (a paper or online form where we've filled our name, address, time of day, and reason we are out). This is to make the French think twice before heading out - it is fully a self-declaration. The cops are around though, checking...

newboots

Angel Diva
Often inside??

At times. Our postmistress's supervisor is often in the PO, with his mask hanging off his chin or nowhere to be seen. I've never seen him with it actually on. It's a very tiny post office, in this town of 666 souls.

Things are better now in NH than they were. It was quite common to see people unmasked inside the supermarket, but in recent months they are sanitizing the baskets and have a staff member stationed outside. This wasn't true in March and April (not sure when it changed; I stopped going for a few months).

Mr. Blizzard recently had a scare but has tested negative. I hope that means he is wearing his mask more often. In the summer we stopped at an ice cream stand, and decided not to wear his mask because some other people weren't wearing theirs! My insistence (and common sense) prevailed. "This is when you need your mask the most!"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like the ski areas in Scotland are gearing up for a busy season since folks in the UK are less likely to head to the Alps any time soon. Scandinavian ski areas are gearing up too. Brits will have to contend with travel restrictions for several counties on the continent. Note that this article was initially published in September, so obviously the situation has changed.

Last updated Oct. 2, 2020, The Guardian (UK)
How to go skiing despite a winter of Covid restrictions
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...this-winter-ski-resorts-covid-19-restrictions

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just learned that Macron shut down the two open ski areas in France -- Tignes and Les Deux Alpes -- and ordered all others to stay closed til December 1 because of surging cases.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have some hope for the mountains in Vermont. The virus has been so closely monitored and kept from spreading that I think the governor will do what it takes to make sure it's safe. Of course, that could mean shutdowns or further restrictions.

In anticipation of my move to New York, I just purchased a Halo mask (by Halolife on Amazon). It has a 200-hour filter, replaceable, and a close fit with foam at the top to prevent fogging of glasses. The filter is supposed to keep out 99% of both large and tiny droplets.
Expensive but, I hope, worth it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Nine open ski resorts have also closed in Austria, until at least December 1.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Following what's happening in Europe......

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Just learned that Macron shut down the two open ski areas in France -- Tignes and Les Deux Alpes -- and ordered all others to stay closed til December 1 because of surging cases.

Also, even were they to stay open, nobody can go there in any case - or if they are already there, can could only ski 60 mins a day. A case of non-essential activities aligning with Operation Lockdown (part deux).

MissySki

Angel Diva
Also, even were they to stay open, nobody can go there in any case - or if they are already there, can could only ski 60 mins a day. A case of non-essential activities aligning with Operation Lockdown (part deux).

Wow, I cannot imagine being told we can only do something non-essential for 60 mins per day. Yesterday my state started a stay home “advisory” from 10pm-5am each day and people were very unhappy about even that. I don’t care too much because well I’ve been really boring since Covid and I’m never out at that time anyway. This is still an advisory though and isn’t technically enforceable..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow, I cannot imagine being told we can only do something non-essential for 60 mins per day.
The term "lock down" really hasn't applied in most of the U.S. There is a reason that Governors starting using "Stay at Home" instead.

Did you catch that Lock Down can mean not being allowed to go more than a few miles from one's home? In Melbourne, Australia, (population 5 million) the limit was 5cm and that's less than 3 miles. That lasted for about 4 months! Travel in and out of the state of Victoria was severely limited during that time period as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The term "lock down" really hasn't applied in most of the U.S. There is a reason that Governors starting using "Stay at Home" instead.

Did you catch that Lock Down can mean not being allowed to go more than a few miles from one's home? In Melbourne, Australia, (population 5 million) the limit was 5cm and that's less than 3 miles. That lasted for about 4 months! Travel in and out of the state of Victoria was severely limited during that time period as well.

I’m quite sure we’d have a full on revolt here if that were to happen.. Most times I actually don’t leave my property, but even I would feel really anxious about “not being able to” if I really wanted to. Can’t really imagine it.

Jilly

Staff member
5cm is only 2". But we had similar orders originally. No non-essential travel. So no going to the cottage. Except the Premier did. Yeah, and so did I. That was gradually lifted. Quebec was more strict and you needed a forum if you were not in your jurisdiction. My friend that doesn't live that far from SkiBam had to drive to Montreal for work. He needed this form.

I think the stricter restrictions will be back in place here after New Years.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I’m quite sure we’d have a full on revolt here if that were to happen.. Most times I actually don’t leave my property, but even I would feel really anxious about “not being able to” if I really wanted to. Can’t really imagine it.

In SF early on, the lockdown was pretty tight at first; there was an allowance for strictly-essential activities (a much tighter list than that's ballooned to now; basically just things like groceries), but other than that, we had to remain home. We were allowed to go outside for exercise once per day, IIRC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly