• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing shutting down in Europe. Already. Can it happen in North America?

MissySki

Angel Diva
In SF early on, the lockdown was pretty tight at first; there was an allowance for strictly-essential activities (a much tighter list than that's ballooned to now; basically just things like groceries), but other than that, we had to remain home. We were allowed to go outside for exercise once per day, IIRC.

People definitely didn’t follow that sort of thing here. There were many debates on “how far” you should be going from home for things like hiking etc. on social media. Well, debate is a nice word for it. People were going much further than a few miles from home for exercise though, that’s for sure. My own rule of thumb, that many others claimed too, was that if you could get to wherever you’re going without stopping for food/gas/bathroom in another community then have at it. I never really left my own house at the time though I like having the choice to.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The first Stay At Home order for NC closed many types of businesses but didn't have any mention of staying within a short distance of someone's home. The FAQ from late March specifically encouraged outdoor exercise. The rules were adjusted a bit in April and May for outdoor activities, but there was never a time or distance limitation for being away from home. The focus was on the 3Ws: Wear, Wait (6-ft distancing), Wash (hands).

Coming up with restrictions that make enough sense for most people to follow them is a balancing act. Only issuing recommendations clearly doesn't seem to be enough. But if restrictions seem to go overboard to most people, that can be a problem too.

The problem for most European countries seems to be that they didn't stick with mask mandates after the worst was over in the spring. Not sure why the slow but steady increases in Aug-Sep weren't enough for changes to be made in the approach taking by most European governments. Very different situation than developed countries in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.

From NC Stay At Home Order FAQ:

Can I leave my home to exercise?
People are encouraged to maintain healthy lifestyles, including outdoor recreational activity, such as walking pets and jogging. While exercising, individuals should maintain social distancing and continue to take protective measures to maintain their personal health and wellbeing.
Does this Order prohibit outside group exercise?
As long as the group abides by the mass gatherings provision in the Order (no more than 10 people) and maintains adequate social distancing, this activity is not prohibited, but it is strongly discouraged.
Can I take my kids to the park?
Unless your local jurisdiction has closed parks, people may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas while following social distancing and mass gathering guidelines. Public playgrounds and their equipment are closed for use statewide.

Christy

Angel Diva
You know, after hearing about how rapidly cases are rising and how some public health officials are saying we're beyond the point of containment, I don't have a lot of optimism about ski season. I hope everyone making a vacation reservation is making sure it's 100% refundable.

Actually I've been hearing public health officials say that this winter is going to be the worst yet, by a lot, for a while now. Everything that these folks have said has come to pass, so I'm not doubting them now. It's so frustrating. Can't we all just wear masks and stop socializing near people? Why is this so hard?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You know, after hearing about how rapidly cases are rising and how some public health officials are saying we're beyond the point of containment, I don't have a lot of optimism about ski season. I hope everyone making a vacation reservation is making sure it's 100% refundable.

Actually I've been hearing public health officials say that this winter is going to be the worst yet, by a lot, for a while now. Everything that these folks have said has come to pass, so I'm not doubting them now. It's so frustrating. Can't we all just wear masks and stop socializing near people? Why is this so hard?
Probably because sadly not everyone believes in it.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment. It seems so simple, so what is the problem??

I'm dreading the holidays because I have very little faith that most people are actually going to forego the family gatherings. I am, 100%.. selfishly it gives more ski time too so.. lol I think I'm one of the strange people who this doesn't really bother though, so it doesn't really feel like a huge sacrifice versus doing stupid things and getting ski season shut down.

Christy

Angel Diva
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment. It seems so simple, so what is the problem??

I'm dreading the holidays because I have very little faith that most people are actually going to forego the family gatherings. I am, 100%.. selfishly it gives more ski time too so.. lol I think I'm one of the strange people who this doesn't really bother though, so it doesn't really feel like a huge sacrifice versus doing stupid things and getting ski season shut down.

It doesn't bother me either. I really enjoy the holiday season but don't have a thing about having to see family on Dec. 25th. Anyway, it's just one year. We can deal with it. Already got complaints from my mom, who, btw, is going to church every single day (masked, but still) so who knows what she'll pick up. Sorry, we've had 74 Xmases together without missing one, you can handle this.

gingerjess

Angel Diva

I have the same feelings. I already wasn't planning on visiting my folks, but with COVID it seems like we're not going to visit R's either—we might stop by for a meal or something after isolating for a couple weeks, but R considers spending substantial time with them to be too high-risk. We're talking about renting a cabin up in the Sierras for a week or so, lug along a ton of books, and read and drink cocoa in front of a fire. (And I might duck out for a couple days of skiing if I can get week-of reservations. R has no interest.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have the same feelings. I already wasn't planning on visiting my folks, but with COVID it seems like we're not going to visit R's either—we might stop by for a meal or something after isolating for a couple weeks, but R considers spending substantial time with them to be too high-risk. We're talking about renting a cabin up in the Sierras for a week or so, lug along a ton of books, and read and drink cocoa in front of a fire. (And I might duck out for a couple days of skiing if I can get week-of reservations. R has no interest.)

That sounds like a fabulous plan!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
It doesn't bother me either. I really enjoy the holiday season but don't have a thing about having to see family on Dec. 25th. Anyway, it's just one year. We can deal with it. Already got complaints from my mom, who, btw, is going to church every single day (masked, but still) so who knows what she'll pick up. Sorry, we've had 74 Xmases together without missing one, you can handle this.

MA has a huge outbreak from a church in Fitchburg right now.. However, I believe there is ample video showing barely anyone using masks or social distancing there. Last Monday 30 cases were traced to have started there and by Saturday it was at 150 cases! Most are asymptomatic which makes things worse of course for people passing it around. Though hopefully no one gets seriously ill. So silly, like you were shut down and now you are open.. GREAT!! Why the heck aren't you following the rules to stay open safely now???

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hope no one was planning for Winter Park over Thanksgiving. They just announced they will not open until Nov 30th at the earliest versus their previous Nov 18th target. I guess this has to do with the recent wildfires, Covid, and the weather.. Triple whammy.

Christy

Angel Diva

Find that cabin now! It feels like everything everywhere all winter is booked in WA, and we have many less people than CA...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna