• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in powder vs. skiing groomed runs

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know we have several instructors as registered members, so I'm wondering if we could pick your brains on this topic.

I've only had the pleasure of skiing in knee deep powder a few times out West, and it's a totally different experience than skiing on the groomed runs I usually encounter in Vermont. The first time was truly humbling; it was like learning to ski all over again. What I ended up doing (after watching some others who seemed to know) was ski more in the fall line, widen my stance a bit, get a good rhythm going, and not edge as much.

Anyone have any advice?

Jilly

Staff member
You got it Diva. Except I wouldn't widen my stance too much. But make sure that both legs work together. Most of all DON'T SIT BACK! Keep the balance centred. If the tips are submarining - pull up on your toes!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my goals is to put myself in that "powder humbling" experience.

The most powder I've skied, is 8". Awesome but not the knee deep stuff I hear about.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We spent the best part of a week in powder back in March, up to knee deep. And it's JUST like being a total beginner all over again! I'm sort of OK up to about mid-calf depth - knee deep and I really struggle. We have friends who go and seek out chest deep

Really haven't got a clear pic in my mind yet of just *how* you turn. I haven't got my balance right yet in the powder and I think that's my biggest problem - along with accepting the speed you need to go

Oh and if anyone can give me some good tips on how the devil to get up when you fall in powder I'd be grateful ;)

But it was a really good laff and made piste skiing seem like a total piece of p***

Jilly

Staff member
I got lucky for 2 years running with ski trips. We spent 2 weeks in France with snow every day. Then the next year at Copper with 2 18" dumps overnight. I had really bad altitude sickness at Copper, but I skied that stuff beautifully. The Club Med instructor couldn't believe that I was the only one standing 1/2 way down the run. Since then its been "freshies" at Whistler or about 10" at Tremblant last January. And as eng_ch says you need speed. I loved my Z-5's in the deep snow at Tremblant last January. They just floated in the stuff.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Ski Diva,
I agree with Jilly about the stance. Two wide of a stance and you get two separate platforms. I like the idea of a closer stance to create a wider platform to float on. Staying in the fall line is another tactic to skiing powder. To much turning or pushing of the skis and you are going to topple.I like starting my run in the falline with small bounces to get my rythme going.Keeping yourself balanced and centered over the ski. Being in the backseat is just going to tire you early in the day.

When things start to get cut up (harbor chop!) ski close to the sides of the trails where not too many people have been.

Of course if you have the extra dough get yourself a fattie for the day!!

Terry

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:

Terry
Are you talking about a ski or a partner?:eek:

I got my karmas for this type of skiing.
I thought the Metrons would be good for it, but the gear guy at Epic (AKA Phil) said the waist wasn't big enough.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup Snowhot more under foot! Oh and if I had the extra dough for partner it wouldn't be a fattie!! LOL

Terry

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot said:
The most powder I've skied, is 8". Awesome but not the knee deep stuff I hear about.

Ahem . . . 8 whole inches??? I should be so lucky!!! Well Snowhot, I um . . . can certainly see the . . um . . . attraction. Yeah, the attraction to 8 inches of . . . powder . . .

You are one lucky woman to be married to Terry all these years! Perhaps, one day, when you are tired and bored, you could write a novel about your experiences?

Personally, I am wondering how the 'knee deep stuff' fits into this equation. Bit that's a thread for another forum.

(begging your forgiveness for my sense of humor - I am my father's daughter after all), :rolleyes:

Lola

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola said:
Ahem . . . 8 whole inches??? I should be so lucky!!! Well Snowhot, I um . . . can certainly see the . . um . . . attraction. Yeah, the attraction to 8 inches of . . . powder . . .

You are one lucky woman to be married to Terry all these years! Perhaps, one day, when you are tired and bored, you could write a novel about your experiences?

Personally, I am wondering how the 'knee deep stuff' fits into this equation. Bit that's a thread for another forum.

(begging your forgiveness for my sense of humor - I am my father's daughter after all), :rolleyes:

Lola
Lola! I'm Shocked!:eek:
From Boxes, to the deep stuff, how do we get into this?

And I love every word of your post.

I am a lucky woman:o
When you make your trip out west, I may just let you borrow my "daddy's" for the really deep stuff:D

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:
Hey Ski Diva,
I agree with Jilly about the stance. Two wide of a stance and you get two separate platforms. I like the idea of a closer stance to create a wider platform to float on. Staying in the fall line is another tactic to skiing powder. To much turning or pushing of the skis and you are going to topple.I like starting my run in the falline with small bounces to get my rythme going.Keeping yourself balanced and centered over the ski. Being in the backseat is just going to tire you early in the day.

When things start to get cut up (harbor chop!) ski close to the sides of the trails where not too many people have been.

Terry

So true, I can't put it in technical terms - fairly close stance, too wide will let snow build up between your feet and push your legs further and further apart. Try to turn as little as possible, I think of it more 'popping' from foot to foot, unweighting each in turn, than trying to complete a turn, that just isn't the idea. Controlling speed in deep snow isn't much of a problem, so you can keep more in the fall line.

Deepest ever... over the knees.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Deepest snow I've ever skied: thigh deep! :D My husband and I went snowcat skiing at Chatter Creek Lodge in British Columbia a few years ago. Four days of pure heaven! I have been fortunate that over the years, we've had many days of powder that was at least 2 feet deep (try 8 days in the Cottonwood Canyons, for starters, but fortunately we have many powder days at Jay too!). Someday, I want to ski some of the light deep stuff you see in movies, where it's up to your chest. I know my day will come.

I find powder skiing to be very Zen. You have to go faster than you normally would, but it doesn't FEEL faster because the snow slows you down. You also have to be on terrain that is steep enough to build and carry momentum. Once you hit the right speed, you feel like a bunny rabbit hopping through the snow. :cool: I definitely ski powder with the old-fashioned "tighter" stance so I have more of a platform to balance on. Your skis should act more as "one" plank. Otherwise, you can get off balance easily and find one ski tunneling into the snow. Stay very centered. Here's what I learned in an XTeam clinic: We had three feet of new snow the first time I took a clinic with them. They made us ski with our boots UNBUCKLED. You'll find your center VERY FAST that way.

The biggest trick: don't stop...or fall...because you'll never get going again! :eek: However, it is a soft landing, so not nearly as scary as falling on ice or hardpack...

Last year, I bought K2 Phat Luvs for powder and backcountry skiing, and they sure do help make powder skiing second nature. But before that, I skied deep powder on "skinny skis" so don't feel that you won't be able to do it if you happen to be on your regular skis the day you're lucky enough to have a powder day. On the other hand, if you have the chance to rent fat skis, go for it.

Thatsagirl

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I can't imagine skiing in snow that deep. You'd almost need a snorkel, with the way it blows up and all. Someday I hope to give it a try.

Great advice all around. Thatsagirl, when you say "hopping" through the snow, are you alluding to weighting and unweighting, as in the older, more traditional skiing technique (before shaped skis)?

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
I can't imagine skiing in snow that deep. You'd almost need a snorkel, with the way it blows up and all. Someday I hope to give it a try.

Great advice all around. Thatsagirl, when you say "hopping" through the snow, are you alluding to weighting and unweighting, as in the older, more traditional skiing technique (before shaped skis)?

I HOPE I need a snorkel one day! :D

I do still tend to use a bit of the weighting and unweighting of the traditional ski technique, but it's very subtle and rather unconscious. It's letting your skis play with the snow. Rolling your knees a bit to make the ski turn. NOT edging. Rather, your body and skis moving in sync with the snow and the terrain. Everything working together, not fighting it. You might say it's "letting go" so you dance instead of conquer. The mountain leads, you follow. You stop THINKING so much and let instinct take over. When you finally get the right feeling, you can't HELP but burst into giggles. It is just so much fun!

I don't know if that makes sense. I will have to think about it some more to put it into words. When I think of other sports where I have attained the same feeling, surfing waves in a kayak comes to mind, as does roller blading. And simply floating in/on water, where the water wraps around you and holds you up. The snow does the same thing, if you let it.

Thatsagirl

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna