• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Skiing in Japan

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Hi all.

I have been thinking about getting the small group ski trips together in/to Japan.

Just as an idea, who might be interested in such ideas? This is just a survey, nothing else.
I just wanted to see how popular this idea might be in this forum. I meet SO MANY people who are interested in skiing in Japan, but not sure how.

Just wanted to see if I can get your opinions here.

Truly appreciate it. Thank you.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's been on my radar......... I'd like to hear more. Skied a couple of days with @alison wong and she told me all about her trip to Japan. Think she may have posted a trip report.

Also interested in South America.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
It's been on my radar......... I'd like to hear more. Skied a couple of days with @alison wong and she told me all about her trip to Japan. Think she may have posted a trip report.

Also interested in South America.
Thanks!
If I get enough positive responses, I would definitely have something started.
I know many people are interested in general, but to get to Niseko could be a bit tricky because of the launguage challenges in any rural areas in between Tokyo and Niseko.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Niseko is easy. It's full of Aussies. There are direct buses from Chitose (CTS) airports.
The hotels are fully booked by August. Make sure u get travel insurance that covers skiing cuz patrol will send u a bill if rescue off piste. IMHO skiing in Niseko not so great. The top is always closed due to poor viz. Even touring in Niseko gets crowded. The food is not authentic cuz too many Gaijin (gringos).
Avoid the week of Chinese new year. Sapporo snow festival is great but the island gets crowded.
I like Rusutsu better for an all inclusive experience including onsen+ lots of tree skiing. Furano is cheaper, the snow is colder but less snow with more options 4 touring.
SkiJapan.com will help you plan/reserve. Tomamu is a fun resort has a club Med hotel and also hoshino hotels.
Japanese hotel prices are per person. If you can drive on the left in snow going around to small resorts is also fun.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Niseko is easy. It's full of Aussies. There are direct buses from Chitose (CTS) airports.
The hotels are fully booked by August. Make sure u get travel insurance that covers skiing cuz patrol will send u a bill if rescue off piste. IMHO skiing in Niseko not so great. The top is always closed due to poor viz. Even touring in Niseko gets crowded. The food is not authentic cuz too many Gaijin (gringos).
Avoid the week of Chinese new year. Sapporo snow festival is great but the island gets crowded.
I like Rusutsu better for an all inclusive experience including onsen+ lots of tree skiing. Furano is cheaper, the snow is colder but less snow with more options 4 touring.
SkiJapan.com will help you plan/reserve. Tomamu is a fun resort has a club Med hotel and also hoshino hotels.
Japanese hotel prices are per person. If you can drive on the left in snow going around to small resorts is also fun.
I know Noseko is more than 40% Aussies. Well, at least it was before the pandemic.
I am Japanese. I grew up in Japan.
Learned the basic in skiing in Nagano when I was a kid.
But I have not skied there since then.
I personally think Hakuba is much nicer.
As far as I know, Niseko gets a lot of power, but not steep. Because Niseko area is full of foreigners, to experience Japan, one needs to go elsewhere also.
How many times have you skied in Japan?
Thanks so much for your input!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question back - what would you do to make yourself stand out from all the other operators who do ski trips to Japan? I don't know whether it's because I'm in Australia and we are one of the major markets, but I regularly get bombarded with adverts for agencies who'll do private, family and group ski vacations.

Skiing vacations in Japan are not difficult to do in the slightest, but, what I would be interested in is some form of additional tour where you get to see the regional and remote areas of Japan - because let's face it, the majority of resorts are pretty international in their operation.

Japan is going to be a destination vacation for the majority, so value adding for me would be to actually see Japan outside of the Tokyo / Osaka / Kyoto easy-to-do routes and go around the countryside and harder to access places where there is a language barrier and some local knowledge about hidden gems would really make a massive difference.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Hi.

Indeed, going to Niseko is nothing knew for example.
There are many other ski areas in Japan. Just that Niseko happened to be well known.
If one would like to experience Japan in general, needs to hit the rural areas.
One would have a major language difficulty in rural areas of Japan for sure and would be hard to get to because you need to take local transportations. And one would not get away just speaking English in Japanese style hotels, Ryokan, in rural areas.
For now, I am just testing the water.
If it seems I cannot make it worth while doing it, not gonna even try.

Thanks for your questions and inputs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna