• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in crud (chopped up snow)

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s Springtime here in New England, and we haven’t had snow is a while.
Remember I had a breakthrough last weekend with my new boots?
Well, today was a disaster. The snow was choppy, variable, bumpy, my skis kept getting tangled up in it, throwing me off balance.

I managed, and even skied a black run that, even though steep, didn’t seem that much more difficult than the cruddy blues and greens.

By the end of the day I had trouble getting down green runs, that’s how bad they were.

Yeah, I am frustrated today, confidence is down, struggling to be excited for tomorrow. Turns out I am only confident on truly perfect snow. Throw in ice or crud, confidence is out the window. Frustratingly, hubby did much better, was faster, and not as tired. He did say it was challenging, but I am envious of his faster progress and down on myself.

Could it be the skis? I have narrow 78 mm underfoot ones. Would a wider all-mountain pair do better in this stuff?

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I moved from 76mm to 88mm I found crud much easier. Of course the new skis were about 6 years further along in terms technology too but I do think you might find it could help. I know there are techniques also, but don’t know what they are... maybe a lesson too?

Reactions: BMR

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, today was a disaster. The snow was choppy, variable, bumpy, my skis kept getting tangled up in it, throwing me off balance.

I managed, and even skied a black run that, even though steep, didn’t seem that much more difficult than the cruddy blues and greens.
Ironically, with poor snow there are times that black runs are better because fewer people ski them and muck up the snow. Plus the people skiing them are less likely to fall and create really nasty piles of snow.

There is a reason that "crud" sounds like it won't be fun. It isn't. Even very good skiers are having to think more, even though they may not look that way.

For me, a key reason to take lessons and spend time practicing was to get farther away from blues and easier blacks at big mountains. But I was expecting to spend a few seasons building up fundamentals.

That said, for spring skiing my old Black Pearls that are 88 underfoot can be more fun than my 78mm AJs. Especially when treated with Phantom so that the glide is good all day long. In spring snow, using some sort of paste or liquid wax midday can be helpful.

newboots

Angel Diva
Crud is hard. I got suddenly better when my new skis had tip rocker. And starting to get better still when I put them on edge, but just beginning to do that.

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You won’t believe it... I went to a local ski shop and demoed a pair of Santa Anas 88, and WOW! Huge difference. I did a few runs with the demo ones, then the same run moments later with the old ones, and yeah, huge difference. So.Much.Better. I was worried when they handed them to me at the shop. They looked too long, too wide, and too heavy, and I was really nervous they were going to ski me. But nope. They were awesome! I did ice, I did crud, I was confident, my season ended on a good note. I ended up buying a new pair at that same shop.

My husband jokes: I got new boots, new skis, maybe I need a new helmet, and I’ll be ready for the olympics? Haha

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too bad the resort has closed for the season due to Covid. I am wondering if they might reopen in a week or two after all... but I doubt it

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I had been skiing the 2019 Black Pearls in 159. Not great in crud and floppy at speed. I demoed a pair of Kastles and loved them. Amazing in crud. I couldn’t believe the difference. They have mischievous more of a tip and tail riser than the bps and they are much stiffer, which I loved. They took the metal out of the FX 95 this year so I had to search for a pair in my size online. I think I found the last one - and at an insanely good price. Not sure I’m ready for these in bumps yet, but we shall see. Now that the season is over, I’ll have to wait for next season.

Attachments

• C65F4F4F-3C93-40BC-A9EF-85D2B582D7CA.jpeg
    C65F4F4F-3C93-40BC-A9EF-85D2B582D7CA.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly