• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in Colorado in May 2020?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I did not get selected in the lottery to ski tomorrow. :'''''-(

We'll see what happens for Thursday.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Also got a no for Thursday. :((((((((

I have to say it's hard not to be frustrated by the lack of priority for A-Basin passholders. I know I should feel lucky they're open at all but it sucks that I'm in the same lottery pool with all the Ikon passholders. I clearly love A-Basin more. ;) (I'm kidding but also... I'm not kidding.)

I am surprisingly affected by having skiing be open without being able to go. Before it wasn't even an option, but now I COULD BE AT A-BASIN. But I can't.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I have to say it's hard not to be frustrated by the lack of priority for A-Basin passholders. I know I should feel lucky they're open at all but it sucks that I'm in the same lottery pool with all the Ikon passholders. I clearly love A-Basin more. ;) (I'm kidding but also... I'm not kidding.)

I am surprisingly affected by having skiing be open without being able to go. Before it wasn't even an option, but now I COULD BE AT A-BASIN. But I can't.

I would be really annoyed as well!! I was also just thinking about the season pass versus Ikon thing in relation to Sunday River for next season. I'd be pissed if this whole situation happened and I couldn't go, but Ikon passholders could..

I also agree that it is easier to deal with not being able to ski when there is nothing available. If somewhere drive-able was open and I couldn't go that would be much more upsetting to me as well.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
If social distancing is still a thing next season (and why wouldn’t it be?), I can’t imagine what scheme they can devise to give some certainty and assurance you can get on snow on the days you want, for both destination and local skiers.

Christy

Angel Diva

That does suck. It seems very reasonable to favor A-B passholders.

Crystal is reopening a part of the mountain, and they aren't giving anyone priority. It doesn't matter if you have Ikon, or if you bought the more expensive Crystal pass they sold after Ikon sales ended last year--you fight for a reservation with each other and with members of the public willing to pay $60 for, essentially, lapping one bowl.
https://www.crystalmountainresort.c...EuieYAhflPs8VmRpCu6EDRaDQi-9aktA_EqmNGx3mTs_4

marzNC

Angel Diva
No for Friday :(((
Boo, not good. Sorry!

Saw that on Al's Blog for today, he gave out an email address to an A-Basin pass holder who had criticisms. Pretty clear he's interested in feedback that could lead to better solutions. As he said in an interview, everyone is watching and hoping to get ideas of how to have a season next winter.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Boo, not good. Sorry!

Saw that on Al's Blog for today, he gave out an email address to an A-Basin pass holder who had criticisms. Pretty clear he's interested in feedback that could lead to better solutions. As he said in an interview, everyone is watching and hoping to get ideas of how to have a season next winter.

Hopefully this will be a good "what not to do" example. :(

I was just reading on one of the Ikon Facebook groups, and some people who were at A-Basin are saying that they saw waaaaay fewer people there for the day than 600 and when asked about it staff said that a ton of people didn't show. So people are putting in for the lottery and then not showing up, while others can't go ski at all because these people are using up slots.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Hopefully this will be a good "what not to do" example. :(

I was just reading on one of the Ikon Facebook groups, and some people who were at A-Basin are saying that they saw waaaaay fewer people there for the day than 600 and when asked about it staff said that a ton of people didn't show. So people are putting in for the lottery and then not showing up, while others can't go ski at all because these people are using up slots.
That sucks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
That sucks!

Yes! I wonder how you prevent this when people have passes already. If buying a day pass I guess they could make you supply credit card info etc. so you have to pay to play so to speak. Dealing with passes though, anyone can enter the lottery, no need to have any skin in the game. Heck, people could be purposely being jerks and entering with no real intention of going if they have an Ikon pass right?

Christy

Angel Diva
They could have X number of people on standby, and they get to ski if people don't show up at their designated time. On one hand that is a big commitment to go when you don't know for sure if you can ski, but maybe if you can be sure 10 or 20 people won't show at the designated time, it would work.

MissySki

Angel Diva
They could have X number of people on standby, and they get to ski if people don't show up at their designated time. On one hand that is a big commitment to go when you don't know for sure if you can ski, but maybe if you can be sure 10 or 20 people won't show at the designated time, it would work.

@RachelV how far are you from A-Basin?

People might be open for anything right now without other options. In the regular season I’d never do something like that, but I’m also 4 hours away from my home mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, sounds like the "tee time" approach used in southern CA worked a lot better. But was it the "system" or the people? That required buying a relatively expensive day ticket as I remember.

Perhaps a refundable deposit when making a reservation would help. That's what some timeshare companies do to insure that someone will show up. Meaning if you don't show up, then they keep the money. Usually around $25.

Would hope that anyone who didn't show would be put on a "do not accept entry" list for future lotteries.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Perhaps for Ikon it could be set up so you 'use' a day even if you don't show. For pass holders?? Maybe a no show would prevent you from reserving for X days or more than X no shows in a set time frame would result in an invalid pass for a set time frame (weekends?). Pass holder agreements may need to be modified, maybe even have passes with a set # of days of usage- 10, 20 30...... unlimited.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Perhaps for Ikon it could be set up so you 'use' a day even if you don't show. For pass holders?? Maybe a no show would prevent you from reserving for X days or more than X no shows in a set time frame would result in an invalid pass for a set time frame (weekends?). Pass holder agreements may need to be modified, maybe even have passes with a set # of days of usage- 10, 20 30...... unlimited.
Deer Valley made it very clear that if an Ikon passholder didn't show up on a day they pre-reserved, it would still deduct a day.

As I posted elsewhere, what's going to happen in Australia is that there won't be any season passes for 2020 when the season starts in a few weeks. Will only be selling day tickets. But people who bought a season pass will get discounted rates, with a bigger discount as they ski more days. They also get full refunds.

What A-Basin is learning now will certainly help other ski areas/resorts decide what to do for next season. Tricky part for independent ski areas is how much money to put into software changes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965