• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing Ice.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was one of those days you get here in the east, when high winds blow all the loose snow off the surface and leave behind a bullet-proof sheet of impenetrable ice. So I thought I'd ask -- what techniques do our Divas use to ski in this type of situation?

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's never easy, doesn't necessarily have to be fun, but it doesn't have to be scarey. The way I was told, and found to be excellent advice, is:
1. Appropriate skis--Mine are Volkl 5-Stars; others I've skied lately would be the Head Fast Thang and the Wild Thang, both of which are relatively stiff. If you have the right equipment then you can trust it.
2. Sharp edges--a well-tuned ski is priceless.
3. Quiet body--set and edge and don't fidget; focus on the fundamentals of shoulder position and weight disbursement.
4. Go slowly--shallow angle for more traversing than usual.
If you live in the East you'll get plenty of practice.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have only skied in the East a few times many years ago, but I do remember the surface quite well. Our snow is mostly soft, but we do encounter hard snow at the top of some slopes too.

When I see ice, I am much more aware of my skiing position, I want to make sure that I am completely balanced. And, I want to make sure that I am using a high edge angle too.

Do you all have your skis tuned alot? I wax my skis almost every day, but I only have them tuned once or twice a season. I have a one degree bevel on my skis too, which does help with edging.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get my "ice" skis tuned every 3 - 4 days out; I don't get them done nearly that often for my softer ones. That one degree helps, too, but the guys at my local shop, who know me well, are all ice skiers so I just leave it to them.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow---that is serious!!! I learned at Mont Tremblant--but I was a lot younger--leather boots, metal skis, etc. I spent all my time learning to waddel! I have spent the last ten years widening my stance! When you ski ice do you try not to skid at all? Sometimes, I tell my students to just slippy, slide down the first part of a slope to avoid the icy part--but we have a new ski instructor from New Hampshire and he talks about entire runs from man made snow. We don't have enough snow to go off groomed right now, but our groomers are covered.

Bonni

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Entire runs made from man made snow is the norm where we ski. They opened today with entirely made snow.......no natural. It's different, but not impossible by any means.

If you slippy down the ice to get to the good stuff in this part of the country, you won't ever get to ski!

I think earplugs would help. Skiing on ice all the time ......screeeeeech, skriiiiiiiiiitch.......does more to freak me out. If I didn't hear it, it probably wouldn't bother me all that much.

I asked my husband, who is a patroller and has been skiing 3 times as long as me, how to turn on ice. We found a patch of boilerplate at Killington about 40 feet around. I told him to go make a turn on it and I would watch.

Well, he came down the hill....turn, turn, nice, nice.....and when he hit the ice, he continued to go straight until he was OFF the ice! Then he turned.

Interesting.

While that sometimes works, there are times when you must go another direction on ice or eat wood. It's all over once I have a momentary flat ski on that stuff. I'd love to know how to turn on ice.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What works for me is:

Balance
Weight well over downhill ski
Accept that you are going to skid and go with it
Bend ze knees at the end of the turn for control
RELAX! As soon as you tense up you're a gonner

We had to spend a lot of time on blue sheet ice at the PSB and learnt it's amazing how little actual snow you need to be able to turn (literally only dusting)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just as bad as ice are those awful "death cookies" -- loose, large chunks of frozen ice that sometimes litter the surface. You go over those and you feel like you're in a blender!

Jilly

Staff member
In Ontario they are called "beaver balls" at least the smaller ones. The guys who groom at Beaver Valley do nothing but make them at night. Can't seem to groom corduroy!! As for ice. I usually slide over it, if I can. A few years ago Nancy Greene-Raine did an article for Ski Canada about skiing on ice. I'm sure I kept it, so I'll find it and report.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bonni said:
I asked my husband . . . Well, he came down the hill....turn, turn, nice, nice.....and when he hit the ice, he continued to go straight until he was OFF the ice! Then he turned. Interesting.

Well, being from the East myself, I got some very good advice years ago at the Okemo Women's Alpine Adventure regarding skiing on ice.

Treat skiing on ice like you would treat driving on ice in your car. When on ice in the car, don't break, don't stop, don't turn, etc. Just slowly proceed until you are no longer on solid ice and then slow down, stop, turn, etc. The same thing applies for ice on skis. I have found this to be invaluable advice, and it works for me. ;)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I skied a boilerplate mountain and by 2:00 learned to carve the stuff, and I mean arc-to-arc slicing it, no skidding at all, no noise, completed turns still carving tail-following-tip even at the very end of the turn. I've been remembering (probably somewhat incorrectly) how I did that all summer. I want to repeat it real bad. Here's what I did:

I got real angulated at the end of a turn, hips down close to the surface. Then I lunged my torso forward radically down the hill, as if diving into the swimming pool head first, with the goal of lightening my weight on the snow but not lifting the boots off the snow. I felt the tops of my feet hitting the tops of my boots, but the skis kept tracking along the surface. Then I gently, slowly, somehow, landed back on the ball of my outside foot, big-toe edge only, with the inside tip of the outside ski engaging in the snow (inside ski real real light) and my feet up the hill behind my torso. The skis behaved themselves, and fully carved around to in front of me. I was real gentle with the pressure change as the turn progressed, then repeated the whole thing.

It was amazing. I was nowhere near being able to do that these first two days on snow. But I sure want to repeat it.

trouble

Certified Ski Diva
liquidfeet said:
I got real angulated
Exactly. Assuming you have decent technique, holding an edge on ice is all about edge angle. A blade at a weak angle on ice will slip, but at an angle more perpendicular, it will engage and pull through.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied with a group of Stowe instructors last week for an instructors-only clinic. They brought in top instructors and coaches to lead the clinics (very impressive all around, by the way). The biggest tip I skied away with when it comes to ice:

"Ski light."

That means relax, don't panic. Gentle with your pressure and with your pressure change. Stay centered. Don't worry if you skid now and then: A carved turn may be the "ideal" turn, but you don't always have the ideal turn. Sometimes, you have to improvise and as long as you are gentle and centered, you'll flow into that next turn.

Also, look for patches of snow to turn on whenever possible. Obviously, this doesn't apply to a sheet of ice, but often, you'll find you're skiing icy patches that are surrounded by some snow patches. Something for intermediates to aspire to: Most of the time, snow gets skied off to the edges of the trail. Once you can do a nice parallel turn, you can ski that snow down the edges instead of skiing the ice down the middle.

Thatsagirl

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard that looking for little patches of soft snow on ice, and aiming turns at those spots, is called "shopping." The same source declared shopping as dangerous because it leads to skiing an irregular line. How you gonna win?

I shop. I try to remember to look behind me first; but I don't always remember to do this. One of my goals this year is to be freed of the need to shop for snow. Maybe icy conditions will be so prevalent, given the portents so far, that I will by default know how to get a grip on ice consistently by the end of this season. Me and everyone else who skis anyway!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I definitely shop! And why not????

Seriously, I've never heard that as a derogatory term. In my book, it's a-okay.

Mostly, I try to ski along the edges, where there's generally less ice. And if I skid a bit across some ice, that's okay, too. Sometimes that's unavoidable.

I think the main thing is to do what you can to remain in control. And if that involves shopping, I think that's fine.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, when I "shop," (love that term, it's new to me :cool: ) I am staying my downhill line of travel. It simply means adjusting my turn radius -- making a GS turn or a slalom turn -- to accommodate the patches. If you are alone on the hill, by all means, go wherever your heart desires. But if you are sharing the trail with others, just shop in a "downward line."

Thatsagirl

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Hardy bunch" --- This little phrase carries a big payload. It means most of us (living not near Canada) ski primarily "frozen granular" which means home-made that's been pressed into white formica, which then becomes boilerplate ice after lunch, on mostly narrow winding trails with trees on each side that are picturesque but dangerous if you can't handle the ice underfoot; these trails are bytheway crowded on weekends with slipping intermediates and their children, and it's COLD out there, FRIGID COLD, much more humid than out west so you feel it; the sky is overcast most of the time; and in the early season and spring we keep skiing because we just gotta, but it's on slop, mud, ice, soup, grass, and rocks; our season is short.

Thus the "hardy" label.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
liquidfeet said:
"Hardy bunch" --- This little phrase carries a big payload. It means most of us (living not near Canada) ski primarily "frozen granular" which means home-made that's been pressed into white formica, which then becomes boilerplate ice after lunch, on mostly narrow winding trails with trees on each side that are picturesque but dangerous if you can't handle the ice underfoot; these trails are bytheway crowded on weekends with slipping intermediates and their children, and it's COLD out there, FRIGID COLD, much more humid than out west so you feel it; the sky is overcast most of the time; and in the early season and spring we keep skiing because we just gotta, but it's on slop, mud, ice, soup, grass, and rocks; our season is short.

Thus the "hardy" label.

Holy schmoly! You make skiing in the East sound like one of the most God-foresaken activities on the planet! :eek:

I ski many Eastern resorts other than my snow-from-heaven-blessed home mountain and I recall things being much better than that scary and depressing description... :(

Thatsagirl

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna