• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing, fear + mental blocks, and frustration

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven’t read this whole thread so apologies in advance if someone has already mentioned this, but the skiutah.com podcast, “Last Chair,” has a very interesting interview from last month with Kristen Ulmer, a retired professional big-mountain skier and now “fear expert” who has apparently given a TED talk on the subject and also runs camps on this.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I haven’t read this whole thread so apologies in advance if someone has already mentioned this, but the skiutah.com podcast, “Last Chair,” has a very interesting interview from last month with Kristen Ulmer, a retired professional big-mountain skier and now “fear expert” who has apparently given a TED talk on the subject and also runs camps on this.
Thanks for this. I found a few youtube videos, and will be listening on my way to NH tomorrow!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read this the other day and I really like the idea of making time to think of positives in how you've handled challenges each day: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jan/09/how-to-learn-the-trick-of-confidence

I'm very much someone who expects the worst and hopes to be pleasantly surprised; I'd not really considered that this wasn't helping my confidence and self-belief but when you think about it, it's not going to help. Anyway, this season I'm trying to pat myself on the back for even tiny wins and try to change my mindset, see if it helps me be bolder when skiing.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have found @bobski on YouTube to be an absolute game changer for me and my journey with skiing. I started learning at 36 years old after only ever having skiied one time when i was 11. It was VERY DIFFERENT trying to learn at 36, and extremely difficult and fear-inducing for me. I was a millihair away from giving up skiing completely after 2 full seasons of working really hard and consistently at it with all the lessons I could find, and a bad fall that resulted in a minor concussion. Then I found Bob Trueman of @bobski. His YouTube videos as well as his 2 books on skiing brought me back from the edge. He begins with the mental side of skiing and learning (including fear) and goes on to ways of describing and coaching technique that are really easy to remember while you're on the mountain practicing and in motion. His style of teaching and communicating is easy to listen to, easy to read, easy to comprehend, and most importantly easy to actually put into practice. You can buy his books for extremely reasonable prices on Amazon (digital or paperback) and his YouTube videos are free. Here are the details if you so desire to check him out:

I hope these resources from Bob can help you or anyone else who comes across this. I am still learning and I have re-read his books and re-watched his videos this year, one year after discovering him, and I plan to do so every ski season!
Oh, so someone else found Bob's books and found them useful! They were a treasure to me too, when I was beginning to re-learn skiing from scratch and, as you say, on the verge of giving up. He gave me something to hold on to and especially,. made me realise that my experience of not being able to make any progress once out of the rudimentary lessons at ski schools was quite common. Which was a relief!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly