• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing Couples

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
True @Jilly but it didn’t even occur to me until you said it. Proof, possibly, that i’m really not in the market for a high end heli-skiing trip at the moment.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL. Code Townsend and Elyse Saugstad are actually married. Double funny!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually thought it was a nice reminder of all the "excuses" we make when we are feeling intimidated: "I'm a little sore" "I would just slow you down". A lot to unpack here... like why it sounds so ridiculous coming from a man but stereotypically normal for a female. I've totally used it as a "safe word" for I feel scared. A good reminder to be honest with yourself and your crew.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I actually thought it was a nice reminder of all the "excuses" we make when we are feeling intimidated: "I'm a little sore" "I would just slow you down". A lot to unpack here... like why it sounds so ridiculous coming from a man but stereotypically normal for a female. I've totally used it as a "safe word" for I feel scared. A good reminder to be honest with yourself and your crew.

I find it interesting to think of the “I would just slow you down” one in a couple of directions in my own experience. I 100% feel this way in certain situations. It’s not that I’m afraid or intimidated of the actual skiing (though there are times where this is the case as well), it’s more that it gives me incredible anxiety to put myself out there with others in conditions that I struggle to keep up in. This is usually bigger powder for me, and used to be bumps and trees but this has gotten to be better as I’ve gained a little more confidence there. On a big powder day where I’m struggling, I’d 100% prefer to be on my own or with others who struggle just as much lol, because I desperately do not want to hold people up in conditions that are so rare and enjoyable to them, even if they have assured me they don’t mind. On the other hand, I’m perfectly happy to ski with slower or lower level skiers anytime, but have had people have the same concern that they are holding me and others in a group up. Very interesting dynamic that does seem to weigh more heavily on women that I’ve dealt with. Why aren’t I kinder to myself when I’m the slow one, yet know I’m completely sincere in wanting to ski with others even if they are slower etc.?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find it interesting to think of the “I would just slow you down” one in a couple of directions in my own experience. I 100% feel this way in certain situations. It’s not that I’m afraid or intimidated of the actual skiing (though there are times where this is the case as well), it’s more that it gives me incredible anxiety to put myself out there with others in conditions that I struggle to keep up in. This is usually bigger powder for me, and used to be bumps and trees but this has gotten to be better as I’ve gained a little more confidence there. On a big powder day where I’m struggling, I’d 100% prefer to be on my own or with others who struggle just as much lol, because I desperately do not want to hold people up in conditions that are so rare and enjoyable to them, even if they have assured me they don’t mind. On the other hand, I’m perfectly happy to ski with slower or lower level skiers anytime, but have had people have the same concern that they are holding me and others in a group up. Very interesting dynamic that does seem to weigh more heavily on women that I’ve dealt with. Why aren’t I kinder to myself when I’m the slow one, yet know I’m completely sincere in wanting to ski with others even if they are slower etc.?

Oh I feel exactly the same way! I'm very used to skiing alone and on the occasion where I ski with others, it's often people who are much better than me. I often tell them to go and do their own thing because I like going at my own pace and hate slowing others down - but on the occasion when I'm skiing with someone who I'm better than, I truly don't mind waiting for them! It gives me an opportunity to catch my breath and rest my legs. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna