• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing and Mental Health Video

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Kudos to Drew for his commitment to speaking out and sharing his story. Thanks so much for sharing this, @SarahXC

I was left wondering whether he takes medication for his bipolar disorder, only because it's so common for that particular diagnosis and notoriously hard to manage without. If he does take meds, why doesn't he mention it, and if not, how did he arrive at a sustainable path for managing it, and did he work with his doctor to find that path, etc.?

Those are not criticisms, just questions that came to mind, because hearing Drew speak in the first part of the video was so familiar. Those words could have been mine or any one of my siblings' because depression (the real "luck of the Irish" unfortunately) runs through our family like a raging, toxic river. For some of us, no amount of therapy, outdoor activity, or other healthy habits can entirely fend off its ravages, though all are essential tools.

Narratives that seem to tacitly eschew medication as a lesser part of the path to mental wellness for those who need it are a little bugbear of mine. I think those narratives can inadvertently be a little more pronounced in the outdoor community than in other spaces.

Again, not at all a criticism of Drew or the video, which is heartbreaking and incredible--I just noticed the absence of mention and wondered. As we become more open in addressing mental health in general, we might also be a little more intentional about the way we talk about mental health medications so that we don't inadvertently send a negative message about what, for many, is a daily lifesaver.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat I think he did mention taking medication (just once though) in his list of things he does to take care of himself. I might be imagining this so will see if I can find the minute marker to share.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@SallyCat I think he did mention taking medication (just once though) in his list of things he does to take care of himself. I might be imagining this so will see if I can find the minute marker to share.
Drew mentioned medication in the Powder article.

May 17, 2024
" . . .
[Q]
How do you ensure intense outdoor pursuits aren't just band-aids for whatever you're struggling with internally?

[A]
"We do directly address this in Feel It All. In Ups & Downs, a lot of messages were pretty implicit. This message was implicit in Ups & Downs. It's explicit in Feel It All—is that while skiing and running outdoor pursuits can be therapeutic, they can certainly be therapeutic; in no way, shape, or form are they a substitute for real therapy. And we can get a lot of growth and we can gain a lot from these outdoor pursuits, but if it's the only thing, we're setting ourselves up for a lot of shortcomings."

"It always starts with awareness and intention and a mindful, conscious approach. Like I said, skiing and running are still a part of my toolkit for how to take care of myself. But the way that they don't become a band-aid is that I don't use them as an escape. I use them as one element of how I take care of myself in concert with a million other things, including sleep, mindfulness, meditation, journaling, continued talk therapy, and psychiatric medication. The list goes on."

"Skiing and running used to be an escape for me, an escape from my problems, a way of numbing and not feeling the mental and emotional struggle that I was going through. And now they've evolved into a much healthier relationship and only one small part of the toolkit of how I take care of myself."
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
I missed it! Thank you for pointing that out
You're welcome.

Drew did a long conversation for Out of Bounds the day after the premier of Feel It All in Summit County. It was released today. It's an hour long and well worth a listen.

June 3, 2024

marzNC

Angel Diva
You're welcome.

Drew did a long conversation for Out of Bounds the day after the premier of Feel It All in Summit County. It was released today. It's an hour long and well worth a listen.

June 3, 2024
Got distracted and didn't finish my thought . . .

Starting at Minute 43, the topic is the reason that the Kickstarter campaign exists and why $40,000 is the goal.

June 3, 2024

marzNC

Angel Diva
Realized that people who want to get the cap with IGAFA also get their name in the credits of the film.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 8.44.29 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Happy to report that the Kickstarter campaign for Feel It All reached the goal of $40,000. :yahoo:

While the money is important, it's also significant that over 400 people were touched by what Drew Petersen is doing to become an active participant. Even if they only pledged $10 for a sticker. The buzz from on online fundraising campaign can have lasting impact.

Kickstarter campaign for Feel It All, active thru June 6, 2024 (cut off is 7am ET on June 7)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1786995813/feel-it-all/description

Kickstarter status as of 7am ET, June 5:
Feel It All done 2024-06-05 at 8AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Drew posted a Thank You update a few days after the Kickstarter campaign ended successfully. The total was about $44K, 10% over the goal.

He is mailing out the rewards himself . . . with help from his mother. :smile:

June 10, 2024
" . . .

A PERSONAL NOTE

The past month was pretty full-on in terms of my focus on the Kickstarter, finishing the film, producing the first events, and generally just making all of this happen.

Yesterday I got out for a nice soulo [sic] 20 mile run in the high alpine. It was nice to get some peace and quiet, alone, amidst this campaign and project. As I traversed the ridge, I reflected on the past month, and I thought of all of you. I thought of each of you who have supported the project and I thought of all the people it's already impacted. My heart is full. And I'm excited to keep all of this going and do you proud. "

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CathyR