• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing after TPF

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I am 6 weeks post ORIF. I don't expect to ski again this winter. I've been giving a lot of thought to my return to skiing next season though. I don't know if there'd be less torque on the knee if I started back with telemarking and then transitioned to downhill. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm no expert but I would have thought telemarking would be harder on the knees ? I know a couple of folk who tele and they've both swtiched back to downhill. Perhaps get back on the horse with a narrower pair of downhill ski's ? I've recovering from a TPF and a bunch of other injuries and if I'm good to go for our season which will start around mid to late June I'm looking at going narrower but I love my Sheeva 9's so much that I might just get back on them and see how I go. xx

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Update: 12 weeks post surgery. The PT recommends I start with cross country. Once I can demonstrate equal single leg strength, then I'm okay to start with Telemarking in a couple of weeks. He wants me to hold off on downhill for now. I'm also allowed to snowshoe groomed trails.

My past experience is tele is far less stress on the joints, but far more load on the muscles. I regularly did both tele and downhill before the TPF. Our season is over in April or May, but if I can get back on the mountain I think it will help my mental state.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: 12 weeks post surgery. The PT recommends I start with cross country. Once I can demonstrate equal single leg strength, then I'm okay to start with Telemarking in a couple of weeks. He wants me to hold off on downhill for now. I'm also allowed to snowshoe groomed trails.

My past experience is tele is far less stress on the joints, but far more load on the muscles. I regularly did both tele and downhill before the TPF. Our season is over in April or May, but if I can get back on the mountain I think it will help my mental state.
That all sounds promising :clap: Fingers crossed you manage to get some mountain time before your season ends xx

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Update of 16 weeks PO: On April 3rd, I went back to the mountain on my telemarks. I stuck to the easy, groomed area just to get a feel for putting weight on my leg and confidence. There was a long conversation between my leg and my brain about how I was okay and this was a good idea. I'm glad I did it. It gave me some much-needed joy.

On April 6th, I wore my downhills. I had a really hard time getting my bindings to engage on the injured foot. I swapped the skis, stomped a bit, and finally got in. It didn't feel as steady as my teles, but I did a few groomed greens. When I took off my boots, I realized the heel plates were completely worn down. Likely this is what caused my injury to be so significant when I fell. Took my boots in to be repaired, which the shop did at no cost.

I don't have a plan for any more skiing this year. If I do, it will likely be an uphill day. I'm glad I made it back on the mountain if only to teach my brain that skiing isn't scary. I think it will make next season easier when it starts back up.

In non-skiing related news, today I was able to bike six miles. Last weekend I hiked 8 miles. My progress feels slow, but it is steady.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna