• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing after hip replacement?

Lyzzyski

Diva in Training
Anyone have experience of getting back on the slopes after a (anterior) hip replacement? Especially keen to hear recovery times and stories!

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Anyone have experience of getting back on the slopes after a (anterior) hip replacement? Especially keen to hear recovery times and stories!
What does your surgeon say? I’m also interested in hearing about others’ experiences, as I will face that surgery myself within the not too distant future. Although I’ve read about many skiers who ski post surgery, it’s also my understanding that skiing is on the “no” list after a total hip.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What does your surgeon say? I’m also interested in hearing about others’ experiences, as I will face that surgery myself within the not too distant future. Although I’ve read about many skiers who ski post surgery, it’s also my understanding that skiing is on the “no” list after a total hip.

I haven't got a hip replaced but do know a few that have and they do still ski...

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've read several stories of people who skied after hip replacement. Skied with a man in his 70s at a destination resort who had both hips done and a partial knee replacement. He's still most definitely an advanced skier who is skiing far more than just groomers.

Interesting . . . found a study done in 2000 comparing two groups, one group participated in alpine or cross-country skiing after recovery and the other didn't. After the 10 year followup, the conclusion was that "Our findings, combined with the results of previously-published biomechanical studies, do not provide any evidence that controlled alpine and/ or cross-country skiing has a negative effect on the acetabular or femoral component of hip replacements. The results of the biomechanical studies indicate, however, that it is advantageous to avoid short-radius turns on steep slopes or moguls."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10919294

Per usual, every medical situation is somewhat unique. So recovery time and how much skiing can happen afterwards depends on the individual patient's PT process and tolerance for risk. But for someone who is at least a solid intermediate skier, returning to the slopes seems like a reasonable goal.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what a orthopedic surgery group in Syracuse, NY has on their website about winter activities after joint replacement surgery. That includes hip and knee replacements.

https://www.sosbones.com/news/winter-sports-after-joint-replacement/

" . . .
Activity level prior to surgery is another important indication on a return to sports after a joint replacement. According to a July 2008, study in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, more than half of all joint replacement patients were able to return to sports that they were very active in pre-operatively within three years of undergoing surgery. If patients were avid skiers before surgery, most likely can still continue with modifications like only skiing on groomed trails with no jumps, bumps or uneven slopes.
. . ."

Lyzzyski

Diva in Training
Hi I'm super thrilled to hear from my surgeon today (3 weeks post op meeting) that if you rehab well after 3 months your risk of hip dislocation will be as good as it will be after a year... which he means get strong and try skiing after 3 months go easy - but enjoy - don't do anything to insane. which is JUST fine for me. I like big carving turns, corduroy suits me just fine, thankyou very much... I'm incredibly happy to forego moguls and deep steeps and off piste- just want to get on the snow! whoopee!

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Hi I'm super thrilled to hear from my surgeon today (3 weeks post op meeting) that if you rehab well after 3 months your risk of hip dislocation will be as good as it will be after a year... which he means get strong and try skiing after 3 months go easy - but enjoy - don't do anything to insane. which is JUST fine for me. I like big carving turns, corduroy suits me just fine, thankyou very much... I'm incredibly happy to forego moguls and deep steeps and off piste- just want to get on the snow! whoopee!
That sounds good to me!

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I've read several stories of people who skied after hip replacement. Skied with a man in his 70s at a destination resort who had both hips done and a partial knee replacement. He's still most definitely an advanced skier who is skiing far more than just groomers.

Interesting . . . found a study done in 2000 comparing two groups, one group participated in alpine or cross-country skiing after recovery and the other didn't. After the 10 year followup, the conclusion was that "Our findings, combined with the results of previously-published biomechanical studies, do not provide any evidence that controlled alpine and/ or cross-country skiing has a negative effect on the acetabular or femoral component of hip replacements. The results of the biomechanical studies indicate, however, that it is advantageous to avoid short-radius turns on steep slopes or moguls."

Per usual, every medical situation is somewhat unique. So recovery time and how much skiing can happen afterwards depends on the individual patient's PT process and tolerance for risk. But for someone who is at least a solid intermediate skier, returning to the slopes seems like a reasonable goal.
Thank-you for the information, @marzNC. I appreciate it.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I pulled the full text of this article and there are a few things about it that are interesting. First, the surgeries were done between 1986 and 1989. The quality of our prosthesis' are much, much, better now than they were thirty years ago, therefore I'm not sure how valid the conclusions are about avoiding short radius turns, moguls and steeps.

They talk about the concern for wear on the polyethylene surfaces and how that may cause complications. The newer hips have metal and ceramic surfaces so this should not be an issue (there are still polyethylene hips being implanted, but they are better quality).

Finally, when you dig around in the data you see that the active patients really have a much, much better result over all so the big picture take away IMHO (I'm not an Orthopedic Surgeon) is that the risk/benefit for skiing on a replaced hip greatly skews to the benefit side. Good Luck!

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
I patrol with a man who's had his hip replaced. Granted, we are at a smaller hill, but he's doing great. Last winter, as he was rehabbing, he pretty much patrolled on foot, checking out the magic carpet and bunny hill. He's back to "normal" this year, skiing with everyone else.

Good luck and be well!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I pulled the full text of this article and there are a few things about it that are interesting. First, the surgeries were done between 1986 and 1989. The quality of our prosthesis' are much, much, better now than they were thirty years ago, therefore I'm not sure how valid the conclusions are about avoiding short radius turns, moguls and steeps.

They talk about the concern for wear on the polyethylene surfaces and how that may cause complications. The newer hips have metal and ceramic surfaces so this should not be an issue (there are still polyethylene hips being implanted, but they are better quality).

Finally, when you dig around in the data you see that the active patients really have a much, much better result over all so the big picture take away IMHO (I'm not an Orthopedic Surgeon) is that the risk/benefit for skiing on a replaced hip greatly skews to the benefit side. Good Luck!
Thanks for the details. Certainly makes sense that being active helps with recovery and rehab, as well as ongoing exercise at a reasonable level.

durtgurlskiing

Diva in Training
I had a total hip replacement in February 2017 at 63. I was skiing up to a week before surgery and resumed on-hill in winter 2017-2018. No issues.

Granted I was a strong skiier before plus I have a landscape maintenance business that keeps me fit. The point being, if you were a good skiier before and strong going into surgery, you'll be fine back on the hill afterwards...just not in the first 6 weeks.

Skiied powder this past Monday and it was effortless and put's no undue stress on my hip. I do not ski moguls and ice at all anymore for fear of a significant twist and/or fall, but other than that it's all good on the mountain! Go for it.

Lyzzyski

Diva in Training
thanks for sharing your experience!! awesome ! i too am 63 and will try to get on the hill this winter but only after i get back in shape- its going to take time and work. but a great goal!

Xrayeyes

Diva in Training
Good luck with everything. Make sure you have a surgeon that has lots of experience with anterior approach hips. I highly recommend Dr Carter in Virginia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna