• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skier Visits Way Down in Vermont because of COVID and weather

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I found this article from the Burlington Free Press interesting. Still, to me it seems like some resorts (Okemo & Killington, in particular) are crowded. Maybe it's the limited terrain? Or the limited lift capacity? :noidea:

Anyway, here's the piece:

'It's been a brutal season': VT ski business reeling from COVID and weather

Vermont's ski industry is hurting, slammed with COVID-19 travel restrictions keeping out-of-state skiers away, and stingy natural snowfall combined with warm temperatures hindering artificial snowmaking.

Skier visits are down 30-70% from last year, Vermont Ski Association spokesman Adam White said Monday.

"I think the interstate travel restrictions are a big part of that," White said. "People are aware at this point they do need to self-quarantine if they come to Vermont."

Visitors to Vermont must self-quarantine for 14 days, or for seven days followed by a negative test result for COVID-19. Getting a test result quickly is "possible, but difficult," because of the limited availability of testing, White said.

Adding to the ski resorts' woes, only 49% of alpine terrain is open statewide, White said. A year ago, 78% of Vermont's alpine terrain was open. The five-year average for Jan. 11 is 77% of alpine terrain open, and the 10-year average is 71%.

"Lean natural snowfall and unseasonably warm temperatures persisted during the early season and through December," White said.

Record high temperatures don't help

Vermont saw record high temperatures around the Christmas holiday, normally a very busy time for ski resorts. Snowmaking is not an option in temperatures above 32 degrees, White said.

"Honestly, we're experiencing one of the worst two or three winters in the past 15 years," he said. "Vermont has the best snowmaking in the world, but if the temperature is not cooperating, it doesn't matter."

You can't make snow if the temperatures are above freezing, as they have been too often so far this year.
Optimal temperatures for snowmaking are between 20 and 30 degrees. Since Christmas, temperatures have been colder, and the amount of open terrain statewide rose by 26% in the last 14 days. White said he expected that trend to continue.

Snowmaking is particularly important this year because of the need to spread skiers out on the mountain in light of COVID-19.

Ski resort operators in Vermont anticipated a difficult season and didn't hire as many people as they would have in a normal year. As a result, White said, there have not been layoffs, but neither has the phone been ringing for people waiting to be hired.

"The ski industry is a huge part of the state's economy," White said. "We're really hoping the weather starts to cooperate and more people can successfully comply with the travel regulations so we can get the numbers up. It's been a brutal season."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Have VT temperatures been too warm for snowmaking? I swear Sunday River has been absolutely nonstop blowing since Christmas, it’s mind blowing how much they’ve made and opened since then. This must be why we are so dang crowded compared to others, along with the difference in travel restrictions for Ikon folks. :doh:

Now praying we don’t get that darn r word Saturday to mess up all of their hard work..

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Lately it's been fine, but a few weeks ago it wasn't. Early season, especially, was dicey.

newboots

Angel Diva
I worry for the small operations in a year like this. The big mountains will almost certainly make it through and, as you point out, Okemo and Killington are likely having pretty strong sales.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
With luck, Bolton Valley will sustain itself with night skiing ticket sales. Usually it’s a fairly laid back affair, but I understand that it’s been busy. I went to pick up my uphill pass yesterday evening and it was *popping*.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna