• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skier/Snowboarder responsibility code

Sea&SkiGirl

Diva in Training
I'd like to start by saying I have not posted anything before, but thoroughly enjoy all the posts I've read since joining SkiDiva. There's a wealth of information and useful tips. I'm so impressed by this forum.

I have a question/comment about the skier responsibility of conduct codes. In the past,most resorts posted skier responsibility codes in the lodges and displayed signage on the poles of the chairlifts to be read on the ride to the top. I have not seen that recently; at least not in the Northeast. I have, however, noticed a record number of skiers/boarders skiing as though they are the only ones on the mountain. The reason for the post is that I was skiing this past week with my brother and a snowboarder plowed right into my brother knocking him to the ground. There wasn't even an apology. Thankfully, my brother was fine with the exception of a few bruises and a minor case of whiplash. It really could have been so much worse.

Long story short, we didn't want anyone's ticket revoked and we wanted everyone to have a great day on the slopes so didn't report the incident, but skiers and boarders do have a responsibility to ski in control and with others in mind. The slopes seem to be crowded more than ever (which is great), but I believe the resorts also have a responsibility to monitor the slopes for out of control skiers. My brother and I researched the skiers code of conduct and found out that January is safety awareness month so included a good article we read on this topic: NSP responsibility code. If safety is being promoted, that's wonderful, but as stated previously, I haven't noticed it as I had in the past.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Do you notice visible signage of the skiers responsibility code posted at your favorite resort or see anyone monitoring the slopes?

Thanks again for the multitude of information offered by SkiDiva. It's much appreciated.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I’ve been hit at our home hillock… slow moving collision from behind, and I was fine, but I gave the crasher a ”mom lecture” at the time. Last time I went, there was a kid skiing bombing a busy slope and clearly out of control and one of the instructors (giving a private at the time) hollered at him as he went by and told him to get in control or get off the hill. Our hill is REALLY well staffed and usually you’ll see idiots getting checked either by others or staff.

That being said, in the event of a collision, even minor, I would be inclined to do the info share these days, LESS because of wanting to go after the person but more because I would suspect that the fear after that would help them adhere to the code better. That might be wishful thinking, but that’s what I hope.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It depends a great deal on the individual ski area/resort.

My home hill in northern VA updated their trail signs and now include the current Code of Responsibility. Most of the people on the slopes are beginners and intermediates.

Taos has also updated a few of their trail signs and added the Code.

Updated Code in yellow box on Massanutten trail sign
Mnut updated trail sign Jan2023 - 1.jpeg

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I noticed the new yellow code signs near the lift loading are at 7 Springs this weekend. I don't know if anyone takes the time to read, but it was nice to see the resort trying at least a little.

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve seen codes posted where we ski in PA, though I wonder how much of these incidences have to do with the personality of the skiier/snowboarder vs signage :-/ We are all out to have fun but not everyone has that awareness and care. Anyone that drives a car sees this too… those that speed and weave between cars vs those that make sure they have a respectable distance between them and the car in front of them.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I’ve seen codes posted where we ski in PA, though I wonder how much of these incidences have to do with the personality of the skiier/snowboarder vs signage :-/ We are all out to have fun but not everyone has that awareness and care. Anyone that drives a car sees this too… those that speed and weave between cars vs those that make sure they have a respectable distance between them and the car in front of them.
I agree. Especially at smaller mountains there don't seem to be safety people to get after reckless folks. If you don't get in trouble there is no motivation to follow the rules. I was at a Canann a few weeks ago and the instructors ripped a snowboarder a new one (and had him circled, it was quite a sight!). I wish that happened more often.

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
So interesting you would post this. I teach skiing and ski on my own quite a bit too. For the first time, today I got taken out by an out of control snowboarder on a blue slope. The worst thing is he just took off, with a quick "sorry", not even stopping to see if I was ok. I find it alarming to read threads where a lot of snowboarders (or skiers) say things like "the skier was going too slow, or using the whole slope to make turns".

Every class I teach, I talk about safety, and how it's your reponsiblity not to hit someone downhill of you. I even talk about the "emergency brake", which is if you can't stop, you should fall down to the side, so you don't hit someone. Things seem worse this year than I've seen in awhile.

Glad you brought up the topic.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So interesting you would post this. I teach skiing and ski on my own quite a bit too. For the first time, today I got taken out by an out of control snowboarder on a blue slope. The worst thing is he just took off, with a quick "sorry", not even stopping to see if I was ok. I find it alarming to read threads where a lot of snowboarders (or skiers) say things like "the skier was going too slow, or using the whole slope to make turns".

Every class I teach, I talk about safety, and how it's your reponsiblity not to hit someone downhill of you. I even talk about the "emergency brake", which is if you can't stop, you should fall down to the side, so you don't hit someone. Things seem worse this year than I've seen in awhile.

Glad you brought up the topic.
Oh man, as @shadoj asked, are you ok?? Grrrrr, I'm so sorry that happened to you.

And yes, absolutely fall before hitting someone if you can! I swear, I think lessons should be mandatory for all skiers and snowboarders - or at least a refresher course! This was one of the first things my instructor covered - our responsibility to watch where we are going even as beginners and to FALL if necessary before taking someone down with us. Certainly staying and making sure the other person is ok. Hit and runs should always be illegal.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Just chiming in here as I got taken out by a snowboarder today at sugarbush. We were both on a wide blue groomer and he took me out from behind. We both crashed and we’re ok physically. I was so mad. And now I’m feeling super traumatized about it. This is my third season skiing and this year I’ve been plagued by rising fear. Today is just the cherry on top. I just got the book “a conversation with fear” so hoping that helps. Any other tips for ptsd?!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@HeatherPR - it’s really hard to get hit from behind b/c it’s really such a violation of your agency. I’m so sorry that happened. Glad you’re ok physically.

One thing that has helped me master my fear is getting more confident and feeling more stable. That’s also what helped me get faster, which makes me feel like it’s harder for the snowboarders to hit me. Like, I’m in any spot for less time, so they can’t? I don’t know, it’s not logical.

Also, I do periodically scan UP the hill and will straight up pull over if I see someone coming who stresses me out.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just chiming in here as I got taken out by a snowboarder today at sugarbush. We were both on a wide blue groomer and he took me out from behind. We both crashed and we’re ok physically. I was so mad. And now I’m feeling super traumatized about it. This is my third season skiing and this year I’ve been plagued by rising fear. Today is just the cherry on top. I just got the book “a conversation with fear” so hoping that helps. Any other tips for ptsd?!

Well, that really stinks! Glad you're okay, though.

Maybe I've gotten old and cranky, but I've gotten to the point where I yell at people who get too close to me. I've had it up to here with irresponsible behavior.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
@HeatherPR - it’s really hard to get hit from behind b/c it’s really such a violation of your agency. I’m so sorry that happened. Glad you’re ok physically.

One thing that has helped me master my fear is getting more confident and feeling more stable. That’s also what helped me get faster, which makes me feel like it’s harder for the snowboarders to hit me. Like, I’m in any spot for less time, so they can’t? I don’t know, it’s not logical.

Also, I do periodically scan UP the hill and will straight up pull over if I see someone coming who stresses me out.
You nailed what I haven’t been able to articulate—the violation of your agency.
thanks for the tips. Appreciate the support so very much.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva

Maybe I've gotten old and cranky, but I've gotten to the point where I yell at people who get too close to me. I've had it up to here with irresponsible behavior.
Yes! Unfortunately I didn’t hear him coming up behind me. And when he asked what he could do to help I told him to just get up and go away. Ha! I was so mad. And shaken.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh no, that’s so scary! Glad you are okay!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Yes! Unfortunately I didn’t hear him coming up behind me. And when he asked what he could do to help I told him to just get up and go away. Ha! I was so mad. And shaken.
So, I totally get this. We’re so socialized to not yell, too.

FWIW, when this happened to me, I 100% scolded the guy who did it, and it made me feel great. LOL
I walked him through what the code meant in terms of his right of way vs mine, and told him to take a lesson if he could not stay in control.

Hopefully it never happens again, but let’s say it happens near you, what the person needs to do is 1) learn the code, 2) NEVER do it again, 3) take a lesson if steps 1 and 2 are unfeasible.

That’s my 2 cents. Sure accidents happen, but a lot of times they happen when we aren’t paying attention. So, maybe you can get your power back by yelling at a few people who clearly need it.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It’s not just you. I have called out a couple of people this year who were just way too close. How did they know you’re not going to decide to turn or slip or something?!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
@Sea&SkiGirl , you’re too nice I would absolutely would feel comfortable having that persons ticket revoked.

In Vermont it is I think illegal to leave the scene of a collision without exchanging both parties contact information.

Someone side swiped me at Hunter last weekend when I was practicing instructor turns. I wait for the yahoos to go by me first and then I go. This person was above waiting at the side of the hill. So I thought I was fine to go. Then after I started, they side swiped me and a friend who was ahead of me. The friend is an expert and it didn’t bother him. But I skied up to the side swiper and absolutely gave him a piece of my mind. He made no apologies and was a complete tool about it. Unfortunately it did seem like he had a mental disability that I can’t quite place. I resumed turns with my friend, but that rattled me. I know too many people who have sustained injuries from others out of control.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna