• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

ski vacation

treebunny

Certified Ski Diva
i have 16 days off starting march 9. want to maximize skiing. am driving an rv so not locked into a condo. we are pnw so in reasonable driving distance. we have really enjoyed salt lake area two years running ( convenient, love deer valley, alta , snowbasin), been to colorado (inconvenient but loved it, esp vail) tahoe 4 years ago (many options,great areas, lousy driving) sun valley (i think its too late season for them) and haven't been to eastern bc in awhile. what are peeps most current recommendation for a two week driving sabbatical based on local conditions etc. we go with the snow.havent been to jackson or grand targhee, dont know what the pass is like going in there is it a nail biter or what? we like powder, trees, variety, high speed lifts, good resort layout. we are not stuck on big name resorts. anyone been to pwder mountain in utah? red? how about mamoth? is it better to go earlier to some of these?how about taos? they got good snow this year.just looking for insider ideas!

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you want to go to Utah again, you might consider Solitude. My spouse loved it when he skied there last year, and it looks like it has a good base right now. Maybe altagirl will comment on the conditions for Little Cottonwood and Big Cottonwood Canyons.

If you head over to Wyoming, you'd probably enjoy Targhee for a day or two. I like the The Face, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. You can also find some fun stuff off the Blackfoot lift. If you don't mind doing a short boot pack, Mary's is really fun.

I've driven Teton Pass between Targhee and Jackson many, many times. Although I've never taken an RV over it, it's a good road. I'm sure you'll like Jackson. It has lots of fun bowls, and I really like the Hobacks.

Lucky you! 16 days!:D

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to the Park City website they have gotten several feet of snow in the last 2 weeks. I am so bummed because we were going to be there this week but I could not get a house sitter. If you go to the website you can look at the pictures of the day for the last week and see how much snow they have. www.parkcitymountian.com
The Canyons has some great shots too. HAVE FUN where ever you end up.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Powder in early Feb. It's a very local hill, with great guys in the rental/demo shop - they let me test drive for half a day for only $13 and rememberd me! We stayed at the Lakeside Village and drove up there -- it's not a resort. Terrain is not terribly steep but would be AWESOME after a snowfall. Didn't have to wait for lifts at all, and the lifties would let my group of friends get the last chair up. Good tree skiing. I would definitely recommend it after a good snowfall.

Also in the area is Snowbasin, whose lodge area had me in awe....

treebunny

Certified Ski Diva
back from the trip and reporting in. we checked all weather projections and it looked like warm and sunny everywhere below the canadian border so we went north. we were going to go on sunday but a monsoon rolled in (pineapple express) so we waited for iit to pass before we set out driving. well it was wet and warm everywhere. went everett to spokane to lake louise via 97 to the trans canada. was a very easy drive with only two real passes, snoqualmie and kicking horse. roads all real good. both lake louise and banff have year round camp grounds with showers and electricity. at lake louise it is particularly convenient as its basically across the street. we skied twice at louise and once at sunshine village. whiteout at sunshine which is apparently common there. a lot of the runs seem the same but there is fun stuff there and its not too hard too figure the area out. locals are helpful. biggest drawback is the area is accessed by a gondola so on a big weekend the line just to get up to the ski area can be huge. also i think the parkng lot can get full. locals say sunshine has more snow as it is higher. we had more fun at louise as its terrain is more interesting and once your up one chair the masses begin to be dispersed. snow was good not great getting to the icy side on some runs. used a snow host to show us around and when he realized we were all good skiers he said tours over now i'll take you where you really want to go!(tours are limited to blue runs in canada for insurance reasons) so we had a blast skiing with him.drove through the park and came out at panorama (cruddy access road). skied in slush there. they measure snowfall in millimeters. i'm sorry thats pitiful. lots of grass and dirt showing. 3 foot base can't handle too much adverse weather. any way two of us skied free as someone who had bought four day passed didn't want to ski any more and gave them to us so we made the best of the area. it has real nice interesting terrain and lots of skiing in glades that made us wish if only there was a lot of fresh snow..... went from there to fernie and they had the best base layer of the bunch but also had been dealt with adverse conditions. we skied there twice and covered the mountain. the terrain is very fun and was our personal favorites. you can pretty much ski everything there is in the area on a good snow day. however , i t wasn't. rain made slush which froze so mogul crests glistened oilily beneath us as we rode up the chair. they were able to groom the groomers good thought as the base allowed it (not so at panorama).the best snow conditions were off the bowl accessed by the white pass chair between it and the timber express because its the most sheltered. the whole area is pretty wind protected it seems also.anyway no new snow so we gave up and headed back home and skied at stevens the last weekend of the trip. it made us all very appreciative of our twelve foot base. and the 5 inches of snow saturday to sunday was heavy yes! but you couldn't cut through it to the ice layer underneath either. we knocked ourselves out fresh cement skiing (re: west coast powder). i need to confess to two hours of slush skiing on saturday in a texas style rainstorm that had flood warnings flashing all over the state but hey, that is what gortex is made for isn't it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly