• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Upgrade - What Should I pick?

MittenSki125

Diva in Training
Hello!
New member here & I am super struggling with picking out a new ski.

I am an intermediate to advance skier, currently living in the Midwest. I spend most of my season in the Midwest, but go out west a few times a year. I started skiing (again) in my mid-twenties after my husband convinced me to get back into it and he bought me a pair of 17/18 Volkl Yumis as my first pair of skis. While I really loved my Yumis, I realized last season that I was in need of an upgrade after I demoed a Shaggy Belle 95. I absolutely fell in love with having a slightly wider underfoot ski and I wanted something a bit longer as well.

Initially I thought I wanted to go with the Volkl Kenja because I was familiar with Volkls and liked my Yumi, but when I found out that the Kenja dropped to a 88 underfoot this year, I started to look into different skis.

I read about the 2021 Santa Ana 93 and felt like I found my ski. I went out this weekend to check out the Santa Ana but while I was at the ski shop, they tried to talk me into a 2021 Salomon QST Lux 92. Said it was lighter and more playful and now I feel really torn between what I should get.

So I'm looking for advice or recommendations! Any reviews on the Salomons? I know the men's QST is highly rated, but couldn't find much about the women's version online.

Thanks!

Jilly

Staff member
Skis are great, but what about your boots. Hopefully that great hubby got you fitted properly.

The Ski Diva mantra is demo, demo again and then some more. Demo, demo, demo. I'm going to skiing the Santa Anna 88 along with my Rossi ST's this year. I found the 90+ are just too much on my ole knees on the hardpack. I'm going to look back at some notes. I know I demo'd a Lux, when I was out in Whistler a few years back. Don't remember which one, so I mustn't have been impressed.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven’t skied the 2021 SA 93 or QST, but I’m a Volkl fan too. Loved the old Kenja before it went to 88. If you like Volkl, consider their new Blaze 94 W. Incredibly fun ski and might deliver everything you want. I skied it in February, got high marks in my demo day.

MittenSki125

Diva in Training
Skis are great, but what about your boots. Hopefully that great hubby got you fitted properly.

The Ski Diva mantra is demo, demo again and then some more. Demo, demo, demo. I'm going to skiing the Santa Anna 88 along with my Rossi ST's this year. I found the 90+ are just too much on my ole knees on the hardpack. I'm going to look back at some notes. I know I demo'd a Lux, when I was out in Whistler a few years back. Don't remember which one, so I mustn't have been impressed.

Thanks! and yes, he made a point to make sure I knew I was on my own to pick out boots and we went to a local shop to find some. I got an awesome deal on some Dabellos that I LOVE. Zero complaints. Rental boots were the worst and I would always end up with charlie horses in my calves at the end of the day when I would take them off, but my Dalbellos are warm & so comfy.

MittenSki125

Diva in Training
I haven’t skied the 2021 SA 93 or QST, but I’m a Volkl fan too. Loved the old Kenja before it went to 88. If you like Volkl, consider their new Blaze 94 W. Incredibly fun ski and might deliver everything you want. I skied it in February, got high marks in my demo day.
I saw the Blaze when we were at the ski store. Definitely looked interesting & fun and not very "Volkl"

I was hesitant because they are brand new this year, but that's great to hear that you liked them! Ill take a closer look at those too!

marzNC

Angel Diva
New member here & I am super struggling with picking out a new ski.

I am an intermediate to advance skier, currently living in the Midwest. I spend most of my season in the Midwest, but go out west a few times a year. I started skiing (again) in my mid-twenties after my husband convinced me to get back into it and he bought me a pair of 17/18 Volkl Yumis as my first pair of skis. While I really loved my Yumis, I realized last season that I was in need of an upgrade after I demoed a Shaggy Belle 95. I absolutely fell in love with having a slightly wider underfoot ski and I wanted something a bit longer as well.
Welcome! Usually it helps to know stats, as in height and weight. That way Divas who are in your size category are more likely to chime in.

Thanks! and yes, he made a point to make sure I knew I was on my own to pick out boots and we went to a local shop to find some. I got an awesome deal on some Dabellos that I LOVE.
Congrats on the boots. That will make far more difference than whatever skis you decide to buy.

My hiatus was pretty long, and then I skied very little for another period. Didn't start skiing regularly enough to make it worth learning about buying skis until my daughter was an intermediate as a tween. We live in the southeast so I bought skis that were good for where we skied the most, but still appropriate for groomers out west. I was a confident intermediate over 50 then.

There are plenty of options with widths in the 80s that are considered all-mountain skis. Not sure it's worth going with 90s underfoot in the midwest. I know it isn't in the mid-Atlantic. Now that I'm an advanced skier I own more than one pair of skis. The narrower skis for skiing locally (half day's drive) are 78 underfoot and a good 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis, which are 85 underfoot. I considered my first pair of good skis as "all-mountain" even though they were 75 underfoot because they had a wide tip and tail, 127-75-108. So skiing in a few inches of fresh powder worked well. By the time I bought a replacement for those, I was past the advanced intermediate stage but still skiing mostly on groomers out west.

Good luck with the shopping!

MittenSki125

Diva in Training
Welcome! Usually it helps to know stats, as in height and weight. That way Divas who are in your size category are more likely to chime in.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome :smile:

I'm 5'2" and 135 lbs.

& Thanks for the info. I'm most likely keeping my yumis either way and will use them interchangeably in the Midwest. Because they were my "beginner" skis, my husband bought me the 149 length in the Yumis, so length was the other area I was looking to upgrade.

I was looking at 158 in the Santa Anas and 161 in the Salomons. The store said the Salomons ride a lot shorter than they are.

When I demoed the 95 underfoot it was admittedly a perfect fresh snow & powder day for the midwest (which is probably why I ended up loving it so much) But at this point, I might hold off and maybe try and demo something in the early part of the season on a more blue bird hard pack day. Unfortunately, demo pickings are slim in the midwest...

marzNC

Angel Diva
For your stats, 149cm is definitely on the short side but fun for short groomed slopes. I'm a bit more petite, 5'0", 110 lbs, and my MidA/SE skis are Head Absolut Joys, 78 underfoot, 149cm. By the time I bought them I'd taken a fair number of lessons and was skiing enough days to have become an advanced skier doing 2-3 trips out west each season. I've taken full advantage of being a retired ski nut.

Are you planning to buy from a local shop? Current model year or the previous season?

I had the opportunity to demo before deciding what I brand I wanted to buy the first time (over 10 years ago) when I was still an intermediate mostly skiing with a kid and her friends. Knew enough to pick a model close to what I demo'd but in a more appropriate length and a step up from the models designed for beginners/intermediates. I bought online since no ski shops in central NC really had what I wanted. Didn't turn out to be the best choice but worked great for a couple seasons. Not that hard to find a new home for skis.

MittenSki125

Diva in Training
Are you planning to buy from a local shop? Current model year or the previous season?

Haven't really made a commitment either way. My Yumis were used demo skis bought online and I didn't mind. They had very minimal signs of usage.

I will most likely look online before deciding to buy locally. Thankfully MI stores aren't TOO bad with a variety of inventory, but I know they are hurting a bit this year with COVID on getting inventory in store (one of our stores is basically empty as they wait for shipments from warehouses)

Jilly

Staff member
Hi! Thanks for the welcome :smile:
When I demoed the 95 underfoot it was admittedly a perfect fresh snow & powder day for the midwest (which is probably why I ended up loving it so much) But at this point, I might hold off and maybe try and demo something in the early part of the season on a more blue bird hard pack day. Unfortunately, demo pickings are slim in the midwest...

Buy skis for where you ski the most. As much as some skis are really fun they don't lend themselves too well on icy slopes.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
That's the newest addition to my quiver. Mounting them for skinning as I have last year's Head Core for piste.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
@BackCountryGirl @bsskier
Curious to hear what you think of the Blaze 94 after (hopefully!) a few days on them this winter. Do you find they ski short? At 5'6" and 150lb I lean towards the 172, but do want something nimble enough to play in tree and bumps so debating appropriate length. Thank you!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ESGCO I’m 5’4 and the Volkl rep put me on 165 and they were an awesome ride. Loved them in bumps. I usually shy from long skis and this length was perfect (as was Sheeva 9 in 164). With more tip/tail rocker, that effective edge shortens allowing you to go longer in actual length. I think you’re height is perfect for the 172 and where you plan to take them.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
While I really loved my Yumis, I realized last season that I was in need of an upgrade after I demoed a Shaggy Belle 95. I absolutely fell in love with having a slightly wider underfoot ski and I wanted something a bit longer as well.

The Yumi is a great ski, but you are on a length that is short for your specs (5’2”/135). I understand loving a wider under foot ski as well, even if it isn’t ideal for where you ski. I am a New England skier and remember when I fell in love with the Atomic Elysian (95mm) after hearing about it and demoing it. Some cautioned it was not a New England ski, but I have never regretted the purchase; that said, I am fortunate to have a quiver. The Elysian is still in my possession, but now with a frame AT binding.

If I had to have a one ski quiver it would likely be a mid to upper 80s-low 90s. I am 55 and my knees suffer if I ski too much on hard surfaces with a wider ski. To stay within reason of the width you are interested in, here are two I would recommend you look into. I own and love the Sheeva 9 and ski it all over in New England. It is so fun, but not my choice if things are seriously firm/icy....I have another ski for that. I am desperate to demo the Santa Ana 88, and do believe it would be a good option for you to try:

Sheeva 9 157 (92 mm in that length)
Santa Ana 88 158 (88mm)

I have not been on the Blaze 94W, but hear super things, although it was recommended to me as a touring option.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied the QST Lumen 92, and now own a pair of QST Lumen 99. The shop told you correctly that they are more playful and forgiving than the SA 93, and they do ski quite short.

The SA 88 is my daily use ski in Utah and I love it. It has the added stability of a sheet of titanal (metal) in it, which I have found I like in my skis. Volkls overall are a bit too stiff and planky for me at my weight and skiing style, and have always been especially challenging for me off piste as the stiffer tails get caught up (I am not a charger, I turn a lot.) The Kenjas I owned were a hoot on the groomers, though. SO stable. The SA 88s have similar stability but are softer in the tail and more turny and playful. The tip shape works well for me in powder and chunky stuff. With all that, the Lumens are a really nice ski, very forgiving yet they are anything but a noodle.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Yumi is a great ski, but you are on a length that is short for your specs (5’2”/135).

FWIW, your ski (this isn't directed at Lisa, just quoting b/c I agree with everyone else that they're too short) is actually 147. I have the exact same skis and I'm 5'1" and 100ish lbs. So they're even a bit shorter than 149. I wish Volkl had kept the Yumis with the same sizing as the Kenja, b/c I'd prefer 149. 147 is def pushing my lower ski length boundary. At your size you can definitely get away with more length than I can.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I read about the 2021 Santa Ana 93 and felt like I found my ski. I went out this weekend to check out the Santa Ana but while I was at the ski shop, they tried to talk me into a 2021 Salomon QST Lux 92. Said it was lighter and more playful and now I feel really torn between what I should get.
You may have already picked out skis, but I recent had a chance to demo he QST Lux 92. Even though I was out west, conditions were hard pack groomers since it was early season. Only took a couple of short runs. I'm an older, advanced, petite skier (5'0", 110 lbs) and own all-mountain skis that are mid-80s. On paper, the Lux 92 should be a good fit for me. However, for whatever reason I found it harder to turn that other skis in that size category. I was on the 153cm, which is a bit shorter than I usually get for 90-95 underfoot.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the Santa Ana 93 @161cm in soft snow at Bridger a couple seasons ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly