• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Travel Bag for Family

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Goal 1 is complete!! I bought new skis (as well as the whole family). Now I need a travel bag for airline travel. Are there any that can carry 3 pairs of adult skis and 1 child ski? What are some that you like? I’m so excited!!!

Also, my husband about fainted at the cost $1800 for 4 pairs of skis and I was like dude... we spend $800 to rent for 4 days. I’m saving you money!!

Jilly

Staff member
You'll be over the weight limit with one bag. 2 double bags, or double Sport-tubes. And I'm sure your DH is not going to like trying to heft 4 pairs in one bag either.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since I have relatively short and narrow skis, there was a trip when I squeezed my skis and my daughter's skis (110cm?) into a soft ski bag actually designed for 1 pair of adult skis.

No way would I want to deal with any bag or hard case with 3 pairs of adult skis, even if there wasn't the weight limit for a flight to consider.

2 double bags, or double Sport-tubes.
^ This is the way to go. Better to have wheels.

When I started flying to ski more often, I went with a Sportube 2. It's held up very well. Often only pack 1 pair of skis, but it's nice to have the option of two pairs of skis. Certainly makes it easier to bring home a new pair of skis found as a good deal during a trip. :wink:

mustski

Angel Diva
I agree with the above. A double ski bag with 2 pairs is darned heavy enough. Get 2 bags and put 2 pairs in each and you should also be able to pad everything with extra ski pants, base layers, etc. And wheels are a MUST HAVE.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll be over the weight limit with one bag. 2 double bags, or double Sport-tubes. And I'm sure your DH is not going to like trying to heft 4 pairs in one bag either.

My DH actually wanted one bag. And I agree on the weight thing but he was insistent until I read reviews and how the bags fall apart under the weight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My DH actually wanted one bag. And I agree on the weight thing but he was insistent until I read reviews and how the bags fall apart under the weight.
What other checked luggage are you thinking of using? My friend who travels with two tweens usually brings one big suitcase. They don't have ski gear worth taking out west. But the kids are old enough to have pretty big backpacks for their personal stuff.

The only downside to a hardcase is that it takes up more room in a car compared to a soft bag. Even when completely empty and squeezed to the shortest length.

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
I haven't seen any bags designed to fit more than 2 pairs of skis. With four pairs in a bag I'd be worried about how the all those bindings and edges could interact to damage the bindings. I've seen how handlers sling heavy bags around, it's not gentle. Having the skis packed two-and-two also reduces the risk of *all* of your skis getting misplaced by the airline too.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The sporttube 3 (designed for 2 snowboards) I have done 1 pair adult skis and 2 pair kids skis and still made the 50 lb airline weight limit but I think you would be hard pressed to do 4 pair. 2 bags or cases I think is going to be the way to go...

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family of four travels with two double sport tubes and it’s a great system. Easy to pull around the airport on the wheels and maneuvers much better than a bag on wheels. Also great protection when flying.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a storage question. Hope it fits here.

Is there harm in storing skis in the same position you would if placing them in a Sportube for travel? Tip to tail, bindings facing each other, rubberband brake retainers to retract brakes?

Jilly

Staff member
Yes and no. The skis need to be completely dry, or the edges will rust. Then where are you storing the tube? Dry and not too much of a temperature change?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a storage question. Hope it fits here.

Is there harm in storing skis in the same position you would if placing them in a Sportube for travel? Tip to tail, bindings facing each other, rubberband brake retainers to retract brakes?
I don't really like keeping the tension on the brakes for months.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes and no. The skis need to be completely dry, or the edges will rust. Then where are you storing the tube? Dry and not too much of a temperature change?
Skis and Sportube are unused; brand new and dry. I’ve currently got the skis in the Sportube as described for travel and laying on the floor of air conditioned room.

Jilly

Staff member
Mine are under the bed. I don't have the storage I used to with a garage etc. I had to tie back the brakes to get them under the bed. The bindings were OK not closed. I have 3 pairs under the bed!! And my Sportube is up in the top shelf of my storage racks, next to a pair of crutches!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
How are you storing yours? Flat with brakes not engaged?
I have the luxury of having married a man with a huge house over 25 years ago. My skis are standing up in the middle of the walk-out basement.

When I only had one pair, they were standing in the corner of a closet.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine are under the bed. I don't have the storage I used to with a garage etc. I had to tie back the brakes to get them under the bed. The bindings were OK not closed. I have 3 pairs under the bed!! And my Sportube is up in the top shelf of my storage racks, next to a pair of crutches!!
I’ve pulled them out of the Sportube, removed the rubber bands that were keeping the brakes down, and for the time being, they’re living on a guest room bed. Perhaps I’ll just put a blanket over each and let them stay there. Maybe I’ll put the TV on for them as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly