• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski-Touring 50+

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
I’m curious - Is anyone out there crazy like me, 50+ and just starting to skin & ski? (Or were you when you started?) Would love to know about your experience - is it living up to your expectations? Are you feeling fit/safe about it? What kind(s) of training did you get? Where will you take it / where do you hope it takes you? Any tips? Thanks!

Reactions: RJ*

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m not 50+, but quite frankly if you are in ski shape in general I don’t think age is the biggest factor in any of this! So much has to do with mindset.

Myself, @lisamamot, and @elemmac are doing an intro to backcountry class this coming weekend. @elemmac has some experience, so might be able to share more wisdom now. This will be the first time @lisamamot and I skin etc. so perhaps we can offer more thoughts after the class! I started skiing as an adult right out of college, and I’ll be 36 next month. To me I guess it seems a natural progression to push my boundaries a bit and see where else skis can take me outside of the controlled environment of east coast resorts. I’m also interested in potentially being able to skin up when lifts are down due to wind etc. at my home resort. I’m just not sure how much I’ll like skiing in such untouched conditions, especially with all of the crazy freeze thaws we’ve had here recently.. I struggle mightily in pristine powder, so I imagine some of the conditions out of bounds are going to be very undesireable to me right now if it’s slab ice and cement snow etc., guess we’ll see. I’m thinking it’ll pretty quickly reveal if this is for me or not!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm turning 50 in two weeks, and I just started skinning this season. I don't think it's crazy at all; more of a natural progression of my interest in skiing and the fact that I live so close to easily-accessible backcountry.

I started this November when we got a ton of early snow here in Vermont. My boss and I would skin up the trails on the little mountain where we work. Then I started coming in before work to skin up and ski down the resort trails. Some days there was fresh, ungroomed snow, and that was awesome. The exercise is fantastic, and even though resort-skinning isn't backcountry, it's so much more appealing than going to the gym for a workout.

My next step is to get on some true backcountry trails. I know someone who has offered to guide me down the mown-but-ungroomed trails at the defunct resort where I live.

From there I imagine I will pursue some different areas and terrain, maybe including trees, but I have a ways to go skill-wise before that happens.

So I love having skinning as a winter activity option; it's a great workout and I'm excited about growing into the terrain that it will open up for me.

Fwiw, I think I have just about the least-expensive AT set-up that a person can get ($600 total for skis, bindings, boots, and skins!). My set-up weighs a ton. But the skis (Dynastar Cham 97s which I bought at a swap in complete ignorance) are surprisingly nimble and turny and I really don't notice the weight when I'm skiing. So there are ways around the $1k+ price tag that AT gear seems to demand.

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
Thanks, MissySki and SallyCat (love that handle!) - That's exactly my thought about adding a dimension to our skiing. I love having this option for exercise and it makes me want to learn and do more with my fitness and skiing and wilderness adventuring in general! Mindset has everything to do with it, but there are, unfortunately, some undeniable aspects to aging. The neuroma in my foot and the stiffness in my knee tell me so, and they make me wonder how far I can take this. I'm also not a runner or triathlete, so I set small goals while skinning and take rest/view breaks. I would love to skin with someone, but wouldn't ever want to feel like I'm holding them up. Are there patient groups out there? Haha

Nevertheless, I'm so happy to know that there are sistas, especially here in the East. How do we learn to ski powder when we hardly ever have it here?? Crusted pow + me = lots of falls. I got so frustrated after one session that I spent the next couple of hours watching YouTube vids on how to ski powder and crust. LOL! I love watching those powder gurus shred! I'm glad to know that others out there aren't feeling ashamed of skinning at their local resorts instead of all-out backcountry, too. I'm planning to take Intro to Backcountry and Avalanche training, plus Wilderness EMT and Map & Compass classes. I have a three-year goal of getting fitter and more educated and connected and ultimately ski-touring Iceland or Switzerland. After attending one guide's info night though, I know to look for a trip that tours and has rest days instead of the one that tours for 5 straight days. In the meantime, skinning up the trails at in-state resorts and an occasional trip west or north will keep me more than occupied. Thanks again for your replies!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wilderness EMT is great; Wilderness First Responder (WFR) is a less time-intensive option that will give you the skills to take care of anyone injured in the backcountry. If you go the EMT route, I recommend getting a WFR certificate and then taking the EMT course through your local emergency services district rather than through SOLO of NOLS. I am just finishing my EMT licensure and I am SO glad I did the course through my district and with other first-responders and health care professionals. Plus the cost was $700 versus $3000 for the SOLO option, which was something crazy like 19 days of training. The district emergency-services option provides much more opportunity to actually do ambulance shifts and shadow paramedics, etc. which is incredibly valuable. And you make connections in local emergency services that can help you actually get experience because really, you can get a W-EMT cert, but if you don't seek out opportunities to practice and develop your skills, the knowledge expires pretty quickly.

Just my two cents! Kudos to you for embracing the training!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m curious - Is anyone out there crazy like me, 50+ and just starting to skin & ski? (Or were you when you started?) Would love to know about your experience - is it living up to your expectations? Are you feeling fit/safe about it? What kind(s) of training did you get? Where will you take it / where do you hope it takes you? Any tips? Thanks!
Not crazy at all. When I was at Waterville Valley in Dec, I heard from the host of the Silver Streaks, the club for 50+, that they were going to offer free clinics to members interested in learning how to go uphill on their skis.

At Taos last week, the oldest skier in my ski week group was a woman who is in her late 60s. Including her, there were five of us (4 women, 1 man from Texas) in the group who were over 50, if not over 60. The hike we did to ski the Highline Ridge didn't involve skinning, but at 10,000 ft the effort was noticeable given the amount of elevation gain required while carrying skis.

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
Wilderness EMT is great; Wilderness First Responder (WFR) is a less time-intensive option that will give you the skills to take care of anyone injured in the backcountry. If you go the EMT route, I recommend getting a WFR certificate and then taking the EMT course through your local emergency services district rather than through SOLO of NOLS. I am just finishing my EMT licensure and I am SO glad I did the course through my district and with other first-responders and health care professionals. Plus the cost was $700 versus $3000 for the SOLO option, which was something crazy like 19 days of training. The district emergency-services option provides much more opportunity to actually do ambulance shifts and shadow paramedics, etc. which is incredibly valuable. And you make connections in local emergency services that can help you actually get experience because really, you can get a W-EMT cert, but if you don't seek out opportunities to practice and develop your skills, the knowledge expires pretty quickly.

Just my two cents! Kudos to you for embracing the training!
That's just the kind of advice and encouragement that I was hoping for. WFR it is! Much respect to you for your wisdom.<3

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
Not crazy at all. When I was at Waterville Valley in Dec, I heard from the host of the Silver Streaks, the club for 50+, that they were going to offer free clinics to members interested in learning how to go uphill on their skis.

At Taos last week, the oldest skier in my ski week group was a woman who is in her late 60s. Including her, there were five of us (4 women, 1 man from Texas) in the group who were over 50, if not over 60. The hike we did to ski the Highline Ridge didn't involve skinning, but at 10,000 ft the effort was noticeable given the amount of elevation gain required while carrying skis.
"The Silver Streaks" - Adorable and fierce all in one! :smile: That's awesome to know about their clinics. The more the merrier, as they say! Pardon me for asking, but what is a "ski week group"? Were you on a tour or is that something that the resort offered?

marzNC

Angel Diva

lisamamot

Angel Diva
As @MissySki said we are doing an intro course this weekend - will be my first foray into the backcountry and I am 53 :thumb:

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
Sorry, the Taos Ski Week is a unique lesson program that happens every week at Taos Ski Vally in NM. There are quite a few skiers over 50 who do a Ski Week annually. Ski clubs from all over go to Taos and many of the club travelers are seniors who do a ski week even if they haven't had a lesson as an adult.

Here's a trip report:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...b-2-9-2019-including-advanced-ski-week.23622/
What a great experience! Loved reading your report. Thank you!

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just hit 40 and really just got into backcountry skiing last year. My main problem is that I don't have anyone besides my hubby to go with, and he pretty much only does it because I told him it was dangerous to do solo. There are groups in my area who do BC tours but I'm slow and don't have my AIARE lvl 1 yet so i'm not comfortable joining a group that is really jamming or going down stuff that's steeper than 30 degrees due to avy danger. I need a BC crew that just wants to do one mild run then go to the pub, lol!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I would love to know how it goes for you. In VT? Good luck!
It is in New Hampshire at Mount Cardigan - put on by SheJumps. Will report back how it goes. The weather around here has been crazy - snow, rain, freeze...repeat. Right now they are getting quite a bit a snow but I haven't been brave enough to check the forecast for the end of the week...the last time I checked it was going to rain on our backcountry day!

MissySki

Angel Diva
It is in New Hampshire at Mount Cardigan - put on by SheJumps. Will report back how it goes. The weather around here has been crazy - snow, rain, freeze...repeat. Right now they are getting quite a bit a snow but I haven't been brave enough to check the forecast for the end of the week...the last time I checked it was going to rain on our backcountry day!

Today was showing some rain Friday after a little more snow, but dried out for Saturday.. I’m clinging to that and not checking for awhile now! Lol

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Today was showing some rain Friday after a little more snow, but dried out for Saturday.. I’m clinging to that and not checking for awhile now! Lol
I just looked at mountain-forecast.com and I liked what it said (some amount of snow all week, sunny on Saturday but chilly) so I am going with that. Selective forecasting :wink:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Started last year, 50+, always crazy anyway.
AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue Course completed as well as some additional snow pack study
Highly recommend a topo/ map course (check REI)
Love the up and down. Drop off backside or do a planned tour. Did tour with a group last year (mixed) as well as doing some tours with another female over 50.

Right now working on getting tour 'fit' (its early season) - live at sea level so try to do at least one 1K vert hike every couple of days and when at mountain try to get ski resort in am, skin or quick backside tour afternoon. I don't think its all spring chickens in the back country, I've met some pretty seasoned skiers and guides.

Goal this season besides multiple day tours - to continue to patch ski all summer via "yamaha dirt bike" accessible terrain scouted last year.

Its all about getting away from the crowd and having fun, what ever the conditions bring.

BC is getting pretty popular, lots of "intro" classes popping up to offer a taste of what its all about. But it seems once you try it, you either love it and embrace it or decide its too much effort.

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
Awesome that you found a group and another person to go with! Would love to know more about your group and your “tour fit” training approach. Glad to know other well-seasoned chickens are venturing into this too. LOL Rock on!

yet2peakmichelle

Diva in Training
I just hit 40 and really just got into backcountry skiing last year. My main problem is that I don't have anyone besides my hubby to go with, and he pretty much only does it because I told him it was dangerous to do solo. There are groups in my area who do BC tours but I'm slow and don't have my AIARE lvl 1 yet so i'm not comfortable joining a group that is really jamming or going down stuff that's steeper than 30 degrees due to avy danger. I need a BC crew that just wants to do one mild run then go to the pub, lol!
I'm in! LOL (p.s. Bless your hubs for going with you!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly