• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Tip/Shape Difference

solituder

Diva in Training
So on Tuesday I was up skiing with my friend (any Utahns ride Brighton?), and as we were on the lift I really compared our skis and realized how different they are. She has a pair of Vokl's-- about average in terms of width, and the tips flare out in width a good amount more, and have a rounded end. Mine, in comparison (my mom's old Head Cyber x15s) are much thinner than any of my friend's skis I've seen, don't change width too much at the top, and the tips are pointed... While I'm an intermediate skiier, I don't know much about technical differences between skis. My question is, what are the benefits/disadvantages of these two very different types of skis? I've tried skiing on ones like my friend's before, but they gave me a hard time... basically my question is, what is the difference?! I mainly do just groomers, but I love to play in the trees and off little bumps...am I on the right types?

solituder

Diva in Training
Any rec's for skis to demo would be interesting to hear, as well... obviously function is most important, but I'm about 20 so I like skis with a little bit of style as well! like I said, level wise I'm intermediate but progressing quickly!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The wider tips and more severe sidecut of today's carvers mean they roll into the turn more easily and carve smaller turns with less effort than your older, straighter skis. Check out the ski construction thread in the Gearipedia for more info on ski shape.

The newer shapes are likely giving you trouble because you're skidding more than carving your turns. Today's skis are designed to carve all the way through the turn. By attempting to skid them, the tips and tails will get hung up.

Take a lesson on modern carving technique then demo some more new skis.....you'll never go back to your straighter ones once you "get it"!

Jilly

Staff member
VG is right. Plus your Head's are the first generation of shaped skis. There was side cut, but not like now.

Read, then get a demo pair and a lesson at the same time. You really will love them, once you understand how to use them.

Demo - Rossi attraxion 3, Atomic cloud 7 or 9, Salomon Topaz or Crystal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly