• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Tip of the Day

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am going to steal Ski Divas idea from the health and fitness thread and bring it here. I responed to a thread in this about skating to warm up before you hit the trail. Not only will this warm you up but it also help enhance skiing skills. All joints flexing and extending,foot to foot movements and edging skills.So girls get to skating!!

Terry

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Terry, Is there a good way/right way, as opposed to a bad/wrong way to skate? I just use intuition and go for it, but I remember two people looking at me and pointing once and not in an admiring way, and I don't know if it was because I was doing something dorky or not. I've never been shown how to skate in a lesson.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Liquidfeet,
Was the video helpful at all? This is a very easy skate on easy terrain.I like to start people out on flat terrain. Imagine you are looking down a long stream. There are exposed dry rocks creating a path down the stream. You want to move down the stream without getting your feet wet.So you will be moving from rock to rock on one foot moving forward at the same time.Does this make sense too you?

Terry

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He makes it look easy. But --- how about doing it on the flats (or on a tilted surface at the beginning of a race) using poles to help propel oneself forward? That's what I guess I'm curious about - how to integrate the pole action, and what happens with the torso while vigorously pushing with the poles. Two poles at once? One pole, but which one, on the same side as the foot that is pushing off, or the other side?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:
Liquidfeet,
Was the video helpful at all? This is a very easy skate on easy terrain.I like to start people out on flat terrain. Imagine you are looking down a long stream. There are exposed dry rocks creating a path down the stream. You want to move down the stream without getting your feet wet.So you will be moving from rock to rock on one foot moving forward at the same time.Does this make sense too you?

Terry

Whoops, just saw this post you made after I finished posting my
previous entry. Yes, the video is clear - thanks! I think I can do what this guy is doing just fine. I think. (It's been a real surprise the two times I've seen myself in a video, so who knows.) It's just the incorporation of the poles that I'm wondering about.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When leaving the gate I use both poles.The torso is always moving forward.While on the flats it would be the pole on the same side as the foot pushing off. I like to take poles away from people and then make them skate.

Whew this is tough without being on the snow!!

Terry

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with taking the poles away till they get the motion. If you inline skate and if you've got old long poles or X-C ones, the leg action is the same and you'll learn the co-ordination of the arms. Just don't step on the poles!!

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Tip of the Day #2

In a recent thread there was some talk of Jeanne Thoren's theory on womens specific needs for equipment.Once you have this sorted out we can still enhance our balance skills with certain excersises. Try this:On easy green terrain try some little bounces as you make some nice long easy turns. This will help you find your center.You can also take this to some easy run out and try some hopping as you run straight!

So get your boots aligned, find the right ski and mount,try some balance drills and your skiing will improve!

Terry

Jilly

Staff member
That's actually a great warm up tip too. It gets the balance right and lower joints loosened up.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The video was taken during a race. I thought I was way down on the snow, lots of lateral, skis way up on edge, countered and angulated and so on. Not so. I was nearly vertical, skis barely not-flat. I really need videos to find out how I'm functioning. I hope the race class I am taking will involve filming us.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think sometimes the video is of someone else's skiing!! THAT'S ME? Excellent source of feedback though!

What mountain are you skiing at LQ?

Terry

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tip of the day-

When skiing in heavy fog or snow ski close to the sides of the trails where you can see the trees. The contrast of the dark and light will help you see where you are going!!

Terry

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey,

On weekends I ski Attitash, Sunday River, or Wildcat. Or, if it's a race weekend(alternative Saturdays), at Cranmore or Bretton Woods or whatever, depending on where the races are held in northern NH.

But the race class that I mentioned and the other race league happens on Wednesdays at Wachusett in MA. Guess I get around, in this neck of the woods.

There were two videos, one early in the race season, and one in the middle. For some reason (ha!) the women were not videoed at the championship race. That's the race where I finally sped up, due to tucking it out after the first three gates. The wind was sure whistling past my ears!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna