• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski technique books

marzNC

Angel Diva
Every so often there are references to good books related to ski technique. Thought it might be useful to have a thread with some of them. Even better if people share their impressions when a book is mentioned.

Note to Mods: If there is a better place for this thread, feel free to move.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Recently learned about a new edition of a book by Weems Westfeldt, a long time instructor at Aspen. It's only available as a Kindle e-book. The title is Brilliant Skiing, Every Day, published late 2010. Amazon has a few pages available for a preview. Sounds like a book I'll like. Also like the fact that it's a little book, only 153 pages.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly a book about ski technique, but it is directly related to ski conditioning and having more fun on the slopes. Lisa Marie Mercer's book Open Your Heart to Winter Fitness (2007) is unique. The first part called "Sport, Mind, and Spirit" is about skiing and how to enjoy time on the slopes more by understanding what fitness improvements will help most. The second part is a collection of exercises. The emphasis is on "core-essential, snowprioception, postural and foot-ankle exercises" (Introduction to Part 2, p. 139). The appendices are very helpful to someone just getting into ski conditioning or skiing. One is an introduction to home exercise equipment. Others cover topics related to having lessons.

It's been a while since I read this book. Glad I have a copy. Don't think it's being published any more but there are used copies floating around. Listed on Amazon.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Author was a posting member here some years back. And I recall her having had some health issues which had her leaving mountains for a bit - then she never returned here. :frown: Glad to see she is okay and writing up a storm - and hope she checks in with us again!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still really like Ultimate Skiing by Ron le Master, the Yikes Zone by Mermer Blakeslee, and some of the PSIA manuals.

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really like All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing by R. Elling. It covers lots of subjects in easy to understand language.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I still really like Ultimate Skiing by Ron le Master, the Yikes Zone by Mermer Blakeslee, and some of the PSIA manuals.
Probably easier to find the newer version of Mermer's book, which has the title A Conversation with Fear. I had trouble relating to the stories when I first tried reading it because having learned to ski as a young teen, fear is not an issue for me when it comes to skiing. But after doing knee rehab, it made more sense. Pretty clear from past discussions that many people find it useful.

Jilly

Staff member
We were talking about this at the instructors convention last week, books and video. None of us think that you can learn to ski from a book. But once you've got the basics, then maybe some books or video's could be of benefit.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, I wouldn't learn how to ski by reading any more than I'd learn how to build a pipe bomb by watching a youtube video. (Sad this is where my mind goes these days) Still, reading about it helps me visualize or somehow ticks a little internal checkbox like "I know what she/he means" or "will try to remember that tidbit".

marzNC

Angel Diva
We were talking about this at the instructors convention last week, books and video. None of us think that you can learn to ski from a book. But once you've got the basics, then maybe some books or video's could be of benefit.
Seems like someone's learning style can make a big difference. I'm very much a visual learner. Reading a book was totally unuseful as an intermediate (in the days before online video existed). However, as I worked with instructors in recent years I found reading helpful because I could relate what I heard and felt on the slopes to the an alternate description. Just as working with different instructors provides different viewpoints, reading books by different instructors makes me think about technique differently. For me, that's helpful.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had forgotten about Lito Tejeda-Flores's little book Soft Skiing: The Secrets of Effortless, Low-Impact Skiing for Older Skiers, which he published around 2010. He started writing it after age 65. Reading his stories in Part 1 about how he learned to ski as an adult and his early impressions as an instructor at Vail was a bonus. Some of the drills and comments about technique could be a bit confusing for younger folks who never skied on straight skis though. I read it several years ago before starting to take lessons regularly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Probably easier to find the newer version of Mermer's book, which has the title A Conversation with Fear. I had trouble relating to the stories when I first tried reading it because having learned to ski as a young teen, fear is not an issue for me when it comes to skiing. But after doing knee rehab, it made more sense. Pretty clear from past discussions that many people find it useful.
Ran across a thread about Mermer's book while looking for something else. Includes links to older threads too.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...nversation-with-fear-impressions.19635/page-2

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still love the images in Ron Le Master's book

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna