• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski storage between daily outings

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
I was wondering where you all kept your skis between frequent outings. I went from having one set to having 4 sets, between my husband and I that is 7 sets of skis. I get out at least 5+/- days a week. Conditions vary so much day to day and even during the day I find it necessary to have at least 2 with me. I have been keeping them in my truck. We do wipe them down between uses and they are waxed on a frequent basis. Have been wondering if it's better if they are brought inside every night or if they are "okay" outside in my truck?

Jilly

Staff member
Before my condo I stored them in the garage. Now it's a closet with a mat to protect the floor. Come summer it's up to the cottage where I have a large store room.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
No garage here either, I was thinking of converting the foyer closet to a ski rack...so our giant lab doesn't take them out. LOL

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I usually get out 5 days a week, and If I know that I'm going to use the same skis the next day, I keep them overnight in my car (yes, I wipe them down). If I figure I'm going to use a different pair, I put them in an outdoor storage closet.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
I should clarify the reason I am asking is we have been having wild temperature fluctuations here. It was 7 degrees the other night and it is supposed to be 40 today. Bouncing all over the place this season. Wasn't sure if those kinds of shifts in temps were bad for the skis kept in my truck...or if moving from inside the heated house to outside and back again was any better? I do take care to wipe them down, but I know those shifts in temps can cause shifts in humidity. Want to make sure my recent investments are protected as much as possible :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
I had a set of Tyrolia Attack 13s freeze up on me from some snow that did not melt and turned to hard ice overnight. The bindings are fine and still work, but it did ruin my morning while I got them checked to figure out why they wouldn't lock down.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@mustski thats interesting about the freeze, I always wonder about partial melt/ frees so I take my skis inside. @KKL2018 Gear Princess. Different then Gear Slut. All Skis have closet space in condo.
I also made a "rack" for inside my suv which I am dusting off as I'm going to get rid of my on mountain locker as I'm not using it enough for what it costs.

newboots

Angel Diva
I keep mine in the garage or put them back in the car after drying. Mr. Blizzard has a dedicated room in the house! Wacky. I have 3 pairs now, but my frequent use BP82s are the ones usually in the car or garage.

I’m sure it drives him crazy that my skis aren’t given the red carpet treatment.

mustski

Angel Diva
@mustski thats interesting about the freeze, I always wonder about partial melt/ frees so I take my skis inside. @KKL2018 Gear Princess. Different then Gear Slut. All Skis have closet space in condo.
I also made a "rack" for inside my suv which I am dusting off as I'm going to get rid of my on mountain locker as I'm not using it enough for what it costs.
When I travel, I bring the skis into the shower and leave them there until they are completely thawed. That way I don't worry about ruining flooring in a rental condo. The day my bindings froze, there was no melt. A piece of snow was lodged in the back of the binding and the overnight freeze turned it rock hard.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep mine in the car most of the time. If I could afford it, I'd get a roof box both for safety and to help control the moisture inside the car. I do wipe the skis down and keep a gummi stone in the car in case rust develops. But there's always snow in the bindings that I can't get to and it makes the interior of the windows in the car freeze sometimes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a small "care kit" in my ski bag; a towel, brush (that I use to knock snow out of the bindings), gummi stone and quick wax/cork.

Great idea on the brush! I keep a towel in my trunk for drying skis if I’m driving with them somewhere, but inevitably I can never get the snow completely out of my bindings and end up with melt everywhere by the time I drive home.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
The brush is a hoof oil brush, it has a cap so it keeps your bag dry and the bristles from getting smashed. (just remember to air it out later) The bristles are long enough to get into the binding and push out snow without scratching the topsheets.

I am an overpreparer ;) . I also have a small emergency kit in my ski bag as well. Same with my saddle bag for my horse...but I can carry a LOT more in those. Everyone teases me about it, until they need something and I have it LOL

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine are in the locker at the ski area. The price, tho, is almost like buying a new pair of skis every season. It's tripled since I started renting it. But I think I'd give up skiing if I lost it. There's a multi year waiting list for them in spite of the price increases.

I knock off the snow, stand them vertically but not together so that air can reach all the parts (it is a warm locker room). My garage and car are far too damp for ski storage. In fact, I've got a knee sock full of desiccant crystals in the car to prevent interior icing.

I try to keep track of each pair's usage and bring them home roughly every 60,000 vertical feet for tuning and waxing.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to bring the skis in after each trip but now I just leave them in the car... Quick question - what is the purpose of using a gummi stone on rust? I’ve left the skis in the car wet and they did develop some rust - will they get worse or affect performance significantly? I always assumed using them would take most of the rust off...

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@KKL2018 love the hoof oil brush!
I use this cheap IKEA brush - keep one in car, locker etc for $.49 can't beat it
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/antagen-dish-brush-assorted-colors-20233961/
I found out you can buy from Ikea for $5 ship or You can get a multipack on Amazon.
Who would have ever thought that you could buy IKEA on Amazon prime? https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-ANTAGEN...ocphy=9031019&hvtargid=pla-319735653003&psc=1

1582088706283.png

I also carry a small brush when touring to clean out he AT bindings -- Ill have to find the brand name but similar to theses https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ainting-tools-and-supplies/wire-brushes/12158

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna