• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski slang.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha, that's hilarious. A guy I got to know (NOT interested in) last year for some reason kept thinking he was going to ski with me (not), suddenly started bragging about buying a one-piece suit AND he had to have it tailored, etc. to fit him right.
when you see the funny pictures of dogs with a look on their face like WHAT????? That was me. HAHA!

“Fart bag” for one-piece ski suits. LOL

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Least favorite - Snow Bunny and bunny slope. I've a great T-shirt with double black diamonds (as 2 on a trail map) are a girls best friend on it. Gaper at Mt. Tremblant is a british kid who is on the "ski le gap" or "ride le gap" program. So up here its not so bad.
I've never thought of Bunny Slope as referring to women. I won't use it again now that you've pointed it out.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And the gaper gap is just the gap between goggles and helmet that seems to happen regularly to the same people standing around gaping at things and generally being in the way... (Otherwise, I agree with you - it should be a "gapper" not a "gaper".)
I've always heard that the term "gaper" refers to forehead showing between goggles and helmet. I proudly have a gap there (yes, it should be gapper). My gap is filled with escaping peroxide blonde hair. I like it that way. I'm happy to be called a gaper.

I do not buy goggles to match my helmet, or vice versa, so this just happens to me anyway. The hair acts as insulation in the cold.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's one I hate. SPORE. It's a derogatory term. The first time I heard it used it was by an instructor, by the way. I lost all respect for that guy that day.
It means stupid people on rental skis. So pointlessly mean-spirited, and for no reason at all. Just the skis.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bunny slope to me is any easy green run for beginners and children. I guess it can be traced back to ski bunny, which can be traced back to Playboy bunny, which can be interpreted as a smallish prey animal with a fluffy tail. Live and learn.

I recently used a word for cake sprinkles decorations, and a gentle comment led me into an eye-opening google search, showing me the word could have changed to have a different meaning over time (and maybe regional) that was offensive. It's unlikely I'll ever use that word again.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bunny slope to me is any easy green run for beginners and children. I guess it can be traced back to ski bunny, which can be traced back to Playboy bunny, which can be interpreted as a smallish prey animal with a fluffy tail. Live and learn.

I recently used a word for cake sprinkles decorations, and a gentle comment led me into an eye-opening google search, showing me the word could have changed to have a different meaning over time (and maybe regional) that was offensive. It's unlikely I'll ever use that word again.

well???? what was it? (was it that awful? if so, sorry) but all I can think of is jimmies or sprinkles.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My new favorite term, heard it most at Jackson Hole last year:
"dropping in" :ski2:
That makes me happy. Maybe the lessons we are teaching the park rats and cooler cruisers are sticking when it comes to safety!

FDB, the Roy, cream cheese

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jimmies. Because they're named after Jim Crow, or because they're chocolate colored, or simply colored? Disagreeing with this doesn't make me a racist, although it might make me disagreeable. I guess my point is like it or not, the perception exists today.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Jimmies. Because they're named after Jim Crow, or because they're chocolate colored, or simply colored? Disagreeing with this doesn't make me a racist, although it might make me disagreeable. I guess my point is like it or not, the perception exists today.
Where did you hear that? I went to school in Boston. No negative connotation back in the 1970s. Check Snopes or the Boston Globe article from 2011.

Here's a more recent article, also from Boston.
https://www.boston.com/food/food/2015/06/21/is-it-racist-to-call-them-jimmies

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
News to me. Never heard sprinkles called anything else. But then I'm from SF... not an expression I've ever heard.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is was a response to a innocent comment I made on social media, which prompted me to dig a little. I was shocked to see articles about it, even if most discredit the idea...I never would've entertained the notion. But I don't know where I heard sprinkles called jimmies in the first place.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Around me the chocolate sprinkles are called jimmies and the multi color are sprinkles- never ever heard any negative connotation to chocolate jimmies. Never thought of bunny slope as derogatory either, I equated it with beginners. Do people sit around and analyze everything?

marzNC

Angel Diva
It is was a response to a innocent comment I made on social media, which prompted me to dig a little. I was shocked to see articles about it, even if most discredit the idea...I never would've entertained the notion. But I don't know where I heard sprinkles called jimmies in the first place.
I’ve never heard them called that.
I assume it's very much regional. I grew up in NYC and had never heard of jimmies until I went to school near Boston. There were two ice cream shops in town back in the 1970s, both a couple blocks from school. First time I was asked "Do you want jimmies?" I had no idea what that meant. They had a special term for a milk shake too.

Sorry for continuing the off-topic discussion but didn't want the negative interpretation to stand.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My fave this season has been "send it" ..... a friend and I came across a bunch of teenagers dropping off a cat track, a bit sketchy what with rocks, ice and all the good things that we got this season, needless to say friend and I were a little apprehensive (thinking of our expensive equipment :bounce:) when one of the teenagers yelled out "just send it" so we did and spent the rest of the season "sending it" whenever we could !!!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My fave this season has been "send it" ..... a friend and I came across a bunch of teenagers dropping off a cat track, a bit sketchy what with rocks, ice and all the good things that we got this season, needless to say friend and I were a little apprehensive (thinking of our expensive equipment :bounce:) when one of the teenagers yelled out "just send it" so we did and spent the rest of the season "sending it" whenever we could !!!
Now that we can "send it" we'll be off to "slay the Gnar" next :laughter::laughter::laughter:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly