• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski slang.

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
What's your preferred term for the clueless who endanger themselves and others as they stop to gape at the scenery around blind corners, under jumps, or in the middle of a high speed traverse?

Yes, it's mean if someone is making fun of others clothing and gear - I'm glad to see people getting out skiing no matter what they're wearing, or if their skis are 15 years old. But the ones who stand around on a traverse to look around when there is a huge line of people who can't get by and will now have to hike because you made them scrub all of their speed - all because you're too lazy and clueless to move off of the traverse to stop... they deserve a derogatory name. And "gaper" is one of the nicer things that come to mind.

Thanks for explaining that, I didn't know what it meant either. Good to know.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
all the slang I learned from boys

Chocolate chips or shark fins - rocks

It's bomber - snow pack is solid and consolidated.

Slowboarders - splitboards in the backcountry, always waiting for them to put their boards together

Creamy - describing the snow conditions

First tracks - first one down on a powder day

Eleven it - just point your skis

Swivel - doing tight turns in the flats with your hips

Dawn patrol - skinning up before first light

Oh so many more, they will come to me, especially about the weather.

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
Snowboarders on the edge

I haven't been many places, but is there a name for the snowboarders who sit on the piste, learners I presume, waiting and waiting and waiting in the middle of were everyone else is skiing/boarding.
They are not particularly gappers but just sitting there? I will do 3 runs to there sit, why is that?
Just wanted some insite.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been many places, but is there a name for the snowboarders who sit on the piste, learners I presume, waiting and waiting and waiting in the middle of were everyone else is skiing/boarding.
They are not particularly gappers but just sitting there? I will do 3 runs to there sit, why is that?
Just wanted some insite.

The name I have for them is short and sweet: JERKS. IME, instructors move the classes over to the side of the run. And novices can sit on the side of the run just as easily as they can park their butts in the middle of it. It takes someone special (i.e., supremely self-absorbed) to sit their butts down in the middle of the run to have a conversation/text/smoke/nap/breath/etc.

Jenn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
chatter - as in riding ice cubes and your skis chatter
gondy line - the run under a gondola
VWs - big moguls
boney - not enough snow and rocks showing - we use it in whitewater too :smile:
it's an advil day - forgot to train and the 1st day is a painful reminder

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mank (n) / Manky (adj).

Umm. How to describe? I know it when I see it! Manky snow is crusty and/or molasses-thick powder, might be windblown. It's not the same as crud or frozen death cookies. It may look like powder, but ski like crud. I usually encounter this stuff just above mid-mountain, after skiing down nice snow; I think it's packed-down ex-powder that's been slightly warmed, but not enough to really melt, and then gotten cold again.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:
Any new words since 2011?

Recently northeast Divas were commenting about "mashed potatoes" because there was yet another warm spell in Vermont. Fair to say that it's not anyone favorite type of snow.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flocken in German means flakes.

Rockin’ the Flocken= Skiing when it’s snowing. (The is pronounced thee, not thuh)

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:
Any new words since 2011?

Recently northeast Divas were commenting about "mashed potatoes" because there was yet another warm spell in Vermont. Fair to say that it's not anyone favorite type of snow.

Boilerplate - Another frequent eastern condition we all hate.
Swamp Ass - The state of my seat on a wet/snowy day before I discovered Gore Tex and HotBuns https://powdercordpouch.com/hotbuns-butt-warmer.html
Crud Chewers (a/k/a Effing Morons) - Snowboarders who sit & hang out under a pitch where they can't be seen from above.
Very Expensive Hat - An unbuckled helmet.

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Slope Sitters: those a$$*)le snowboarded sitting in the middle of a run
Droppers: those dropping their poles, gloves, skis, cell phones (!) from a chairlift
Avalanchers: those doing hokey stops right in front of you covering you in the snow spray
Lodge-dwellers: soccer moms (or other people) who either don't ski or ski 2-3 runs and occupy the best lodge seats all day. One such soccer mom (whose kid was racing, and clearly she thought she owned the place) unplugged the only lodge microwave to charge her phone and glared at me when I asked to please plug it back in so I can heat up my lunch :rolleyes:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Perhaps obvious even to lurkers since Divas mention it so often: demo, as in "demo day" or "demo skis" or "demo bindings." Presumably short form of "demonstrate." A "demo day" is when someone takes out skis (one or more pairs) to see if they like them or not. "Demo skis" are usually current year skis available for rent. "Demo bindings" are easily adjustable for a wide range of boot sizes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sierra Cement - come to Tahoe during/after storm with high snow levels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna