• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski size

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone - I am recently back into skiing after taking about 10 years off. I ski east coast groomers mostly blues occasionally blacks. More of a casual skier than I used to be. I recently picked up a pair of Volkl Kamas (161), was super excited about them, but I am finding them to be a bit heavy and I’m not in love. Was thinking about the Volkl Flair 76s. I’m 5’8, 135, was curious about thoughts about shorter skis (154) instead of the normal 160 length. I’m pretty set on Volkls, I’m in love with their edge grip on east coast snow.

So two questions: 1. Anyone have experience with the Flairs? 2. Is 154 way too short?

Thanks!

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm only 5'2" and own the Volkl Flair 76 elite 147s. I first learned to ski as a kid and had a ~15 year hiatus before really getting back on the snow and those were the first pair of skis I bought. They've been a great ski to re-learn and grow on.... they're very forgiving, easy to turn, handle the ice well (fellow east coaster here), and although they aren't very stiff they aren't floppy either so you have a fair amount of stability at higher (but not high) speeds. Being as tall as 5' 8" I would recommend going for the longer length, especially as you grow and progress the shorter length skis are going to feel very unstable and you will likely quickly outgrow them. As much as I have loved my Flairs, after 3 seasons and a few lessons I definitely feel like I push them past their limits now and have since "upgraded" to the Sheeva 9 157cm which I am thoroughly enjoying.

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
I'm only 5'2" and own the Volkl Flair 76 elite 147s. I first learned to ski as a kid and had a ~15 year hiatus before really getting back on the snow and those were the first pair of skis I bought. They've been a great ski to re-learn and grow on.... they're very forgiving, easy to turn, handle the ice well (fellow east coaster here), and although they aren't very stiff they aren't floppy either so you have a fair amount of stability at higher (but not high) speeds. Being as tall as 5' 8" I would recommend going for the longer length, especially as you grow and progress the shorter length skis are going to feel very unstable and you will likely quickly outgrow them. As much as I have loved my Flairs, after 3 seasons and a few lessons I definitely feel like I push them past their limits now and have since "upgraded" to the Sheeva 9 157cm which I am thoroughly enjoying.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I recently picked up a pair of Volkl Kamas (161), was super excited about them, but I am finding them to be a bit heavy and I’m not in love. Was thinking about the Volkl Flair 76s. I’m 5’8, 135, was curious about thoughts about shorter skis (154) instead of the normal 160 length.
Hello and welcome!

The Volkl Kama is what the original Yumi was before they added metal. With your specs I would actually have put you on the 168, so I don't think shorter is the answer here. Yes, a 154 is VERY short for your specs. I am 5'9"/140s and a New England skier - I bought the Yumi the first year it came out in the 161; I loved it - super fun, great edge hold, but I sold it far too soon realizing I had bought too short - no stability at speed. My current skis range from 168-177 cm.

I am wondering if width (83mm on the Kama) and not the weight is what is feeling different to you after your 10 yr absence? I had a nearly 25 year absence before I came back and I started back with a carver rather than an all mountain, so the direction you are considering is likely a good one. Just know that although the Volkl Flair 76 is narrower, with system bindings it will certainly not be lighter than the Kama.

If possible, I suggest you demo to see what you connect with. I assume you have good boots that fit properly?

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
Hello and welcome!

The Volkl Kama is what the original Yumi was before they added metal. With your specs I would actually have put you on the 168, so I don't think shorter is the answer here. Yes, a 154 is VERY short for your specs. I am 5'9"/140s and a New England skier - I bought the Yumi the first year it came out in the 161; I loved it - super fun, great edge hold, but I sold it far too soon realizing I had bought too short - no stability at speed. My current skis range from 168-177 cm.

I am wondering if width (83mm on the Kama) and not the weight is what is feeling different to you after your 10 yr absence? I had a nearly 25 year absence before I came back and I started back with a carver rather than an all mountain, so the direction you are considering is likely a good one. Just know that although the Volkl Flair 76 is narrower, with system bindings it will certainly not be lighter than the Kama.

If possible, I suggest you demo to see what you connect with. I assume you have good boots that fit properly?

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
@lisamamot Thank you! I think you are spot on with the width (I’m not into the width of the Kama) and the suggestion of looking towards carvers. Back in the day I had volkl vectris carvers that I LOVED!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to throw another ski in the mix, have you considered a different model in the Flair series? I am intermediate (trying to progress to advanced) and a bit smaller than you at 51-54kg, and 157cm. I love my 2018 Volkl Flair SC in the 155cm length for their grip on groomers and icy patches and stability at speed. I would not take them to the ungroomed club fields that we have in New Zealand, but I have a second pair of skis that are happier in those conditions (2019 Volkl Yumi, 154cm). I wonder if the 'heavy' feeling you are describing is how I feel trying to get my Yumis on edge in anything remotely solid - the skis themselves are not that heavy and flex easily, but the little bit of extra width makes me feel like it's more effort to get the edge to hold.
I think New Zealand has similar conditions to the East Coast and I have had my fair share of skiing with rain->freeze overnight->no new snow. My mother who is both more cautious and more lightweight than I am also skis on them and enjoys them.
Regarding the length, I wouldn't downsize on these as I think you might find them very short particularly as you regain confidence.

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
Just to throw another ski in the mix, have you considered a different model in the Flair series? I am intermediate (trying to progress to advanced) and a bit smaller than you at 51-54kg, and 157cm. I love my 2018 Volkl Flair SC in the 155cm length for their grip on groomers and icy patches and stability at speed. I would not take them to the ungroomed club fields that we have in New Zealand, but I have a second pair of skis that are happier in those conditions (2019 Volkl Yumi, 154cm). I wonder if the 'heavy' feeling you are describing is how I feel trying to get my Yumis on edge in anything remotely solid - the skis themselves are not that heavy and flex easily, but the little bit of extra width makes me feel like it's more effort to get the edge to hold.
I think New Zealand has similar conditions to the East Coast and I have had my fair share of skiing with rain->freeze overnight->no new snow. My mother who is both more cautious and more lightweight than I am also skis on them and enjoys them.
Regarding the length, I wouldn't downsize on these as I think you might find them very short particularly as you regain confidence.

I appreciate this information! I decided to go with the Flair 76 Elite. Found a demo pair for a decent price. They should be arriving this week...!

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
@Pshaw05 - what kind of bindings are on the skis? Maybe that's causing the weight that you don't like? And what are you not loving about the Kamas?

Oh, just saw that you have new skis coming to you. Food for thought -- demo bindings tend to be heavy.

Hi! The Kamas have Salomon Warden 11s. I think I’m not loving the width of the Kamas. I haven't really pinpointed the problem yet but I am finding them hard to turn and keep catching edges, which I don’t usually do.

The Flairs are coming with Marker vMotion 10GWs.

newboots

Angel Diva
Could it be that your Kamas need a bit of defining on the tips and tails? Sometimes sharp edges there make the skis catch.

Pshaw05

Certified Ski Diva
Could it be that your Kamas need a bit of defining on the tips and tails? Sometimes sharp edges there make the skis catch.

Interesting thought. I suppose it’s possible, although I had them tuned at my local shop and they didn’t mention anything. Who knows?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I appreciate this information! I decided to go with the Flair 76 Elite. Found a demo pair for a decent price. They should be arriving this week...!
Awesome! What length did you get in the end?

Jilly

Staff member
Wider skis take more time and effort to get on edge. I only use my wider skis after an east coast dump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly