• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Shells for Tall Women

Skisailor

Angel Diva
So - little 5’2” me is asking for a friend:

She’s looking for particular brands of ski shells that will accommodate a long torso and long arms. She’s 5’10” but has particularly long torso/limbs for her height.

Any of you tall women have a brand and/or shell model to recommend?

Thanks!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I am 5'10", 175lbs and have had success with Patagonia jackets of all types. Size large has fit me well in the arms and further down my butt. It's been hit or miss with other brands. REI has typically been too short in arms and torso, but the rain shell I bought this fall in size large fits perfectly with a little room under for a layer if need be. Marmot and North Face have been hit or miss as well, often requiring me to go up to XL to fit the arms but then body is to big. Eddie Bauer has tall sizes online which might work well.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I don’t have shells, but I do have two lightly insulated that have nice long sleeves - Mountain Hardwear, and Killtec. This is the only Mountain Hardwear coat I've ever had, so I don't know if that’s normal or an anomaly, but my more insulated coat is also a Killtec and the sleeves are great on it, too.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am 5'9" and my daughter is 5'11" and we both have crazy long arms for our size (M). My height is in my torso so I can usually wear regular inseam pants. My daughter's height is in her legs so she needs a tall/long in pants.

Patagonia is our go to brand for tops/jackets - they have pretty consistently been long in the arms the last few years. We have the Nano 1/4 zip, Nano full zip, Nano Air, Stretch Nano Storm, and Powder Bowl shell jackets and they all fit our ridiculously long arms in size Medium. The Powder Bowl jacket fits quite roomy so it has great layering capabilities.

The North Face. This is a bit more hit or miss but worth a try. My insulated jacket is the Point It Down Hybrid jacket and it fits both me and my daughter. Their pants that come in Longs work well for my daughter who now wears the Medium Long (her Small Longs are now for sale in the Gear section)

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
+1 on Patagonia!

My kit now is from Flylow, and that's also fitting really well (though it's a baggier, more freeride fit than my Patagonia one). I have the Billie Coat and Foxy bib, and I'm in love with both.

FWIW I'm 5'9" with long arms!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
+1 on Patagonia!

My kit now is from Flylow, and that's also fitting really well (though it's a baggier, more freeride fit than my Patagonia one). I have the Billie Coat and Foxy bib, and I'm in love with both.

FWIW I'm 5'9" with long arms!
Yes - almost mentioned that. I don’t own Flylow (yet) but I have tried on some that I have loved - this year’s Billie cost is a great fit!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Climbing brands are great for long arms (the reach thing). OR was good but I noticed that they advertised changing their cut this season. Flylow used to be too boxy but I think they changed a lot. Euro brands are usually good. Norrona! The last shell I bought, though, was a guy's ... not particularly super duper flattering but the pockets and length are great. (I am tall and have long legs and long arms but a short torso ... so some of my preferences might be different.)

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a bit over 5'9" with a long torso. I am wearing a Volkom right now and the length is great. Not sure how the sleeves will fit her but may be worth a try for length. Eddie Bauer tall sizes work well, too.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yes - almost mentioned that. I don’t own Flylow (yet) but I have tried on some that I have loved - this year’s Billie cost is a great fit!

I realized it wasn't the FlyLow Billie I tried on this year but the insulated Flylow Jody. The Billie was too short in the sleeves last year in my usual size Medium and although the sleeves fit in the Large it was too big; I don't know if they have tweaked the fit on the Billie this year to lengthen the sleeves.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I might be a little late to the thread, but I have two Armada jackets -- the Lynx and the Saint pullover. They are both long on me (5') and they hit about mid-thigh. Might not be as long as your friend is wanting, but I love mine. I did size up, my pull over is a M and my zip up is a S and it fits pretty snug (it's insulated so I don't wear Patagonias under neath this one).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly