• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski resort parking.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The town and resort worked together to make public bus transportation a priority in Ketchum and Aspen. Same is true for Steamboat Springs.

Another example is Telluride. The construction of the gondola between the town and the mountain was a shared project about 30 years ago. As the replacement will be eventually.

SLC is a mixed bag. One the one hand there is mass transit. On the other, for a long time there weren't enough buses and the time gap could be pretty long so people preferred to drive. Since SLC is a large city with only a minority who enjoy the mountains during the winter or other seasons, many tax payers don't support increasing bus service to the ski resorts.

Tahoe is also a mixed bag from what I can tell. There are public buses but the schedule is limited.

As @RachelV said, few cities in the USA have really good mass transit systems. I grew up riding the buses and subways of NYC, most in Manhattan. Boston, Chicago, San Francisco are the only cities that I think of with comparable mass transit. Meaning not just buses and metro trains but also buses that run every 10-15 minutes all day and into the evening. That means there is no reason to look up a schedule. You just go to the nearest bus stop and can expect one to come by in a short time. It was a shock when we moved to the small university town of Chapel Hill, NC in the 1970s. There weren't any public buses and undergrads had no alternative but to drive if they lived off-campus. Biking was a little impractical for assorted reasons. Took years before a viable bus system was developed. Even so, few people ride it and the town ended up deciding that eliminating fares was the way to make it work in the long run.

Good mass transit and trains for skiing in Europe make the situation completely different than N. America.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is me. Would love to do another season at Stowe but can only do weekends there — too far for me to ski mid-week — so no more Stowe for me. :(
^^^
This is me too.
And yes, we need to do public transit better in the US. I used the Boston T for years and it’s great when it works but those winter weeknights when the trains are delayed and packed and you can’t get home… yeah, I don’t miss that.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Eldora is a ski area close to Denver and Boulder. It's mostly popular with locals. The parking fee is related to county rules designed to encourage people to carpool on weekends and holidays, and on weekdays when there is significant new snow. There is public transportation to Eldora from downtown Boulder.

From Eldora Conditions Report on Dec. 3:
" . . .
SOV FEES IN EFFECT TODAY: The County-mandated single-occupancy vehicle fee will be in effect today. Boulder County will now require Eldora to collect a $10 fee from single-occupancy vehicles (SOVs) on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and weekdays with 10 or more inches of new snow. Vehicles with two or more human occupants will park for free and vehicles with three or more occupants may take advantage of premium, up-front HOV parking near the Alpenglow chairlift on a first-come, first-served basis. Parking will be free for all vehicles on every non-holiday weekday with less than ten inches of snow. Parking reservations will not be required at any time. Learn more here.
. . ."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna