• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Recommendations for lightweight skier

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my thought on the Lange's. They are a true 21.5 shell with a true 21.5 liners. I think you're feeling the effects of a boot where everything lines up, shell and liner, and maybe matches your foot better. Since the Lange's are a race boot I'm thinking they have more forward lean than an all mountain boot. My Tecnica's have a 12-13 degree forward lean.

I have a terrible time getting into my boots without warming them. I have a heated boot bag that helps. Using the directions I posted under the post about the Dalbello Lupo AX 105 I was able to get into them without warming them. My observation is they felt more narrow than I remember older boots feeling but they wrapped my entire foot nicely. There is no pressure on the top of my foot, the tongue lined up nicely over the top of my foot. There is no pressure on my bones and I didn't feel any space around my heel or toes. My toes do not touch the end of the shell when standing but the toe box doesn't feel spacious. When I flexed my boot I didn't feel any movement of my foot sliding into the back of the boot like boot fitters describe which could be due to my rigid arch. No heel lifting when I walked or flexed. It felt like my entire foot was supported by the boot.

Finally, did you put the 2 boots on side by side. Which one feels best?

How did the Hawx feel without the insoles and did the boot fitter do a shell fit?

Last edited:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my thought on the Lange's. They are a true 21.5 shell with a true 21.5 liners. I think you're feeling the effects of a boot where everything lines up, shell and liner, and maybe matches your foot better. Since the Lange's are a race boot I'm thinking they have more forward lean than an all mountain boot. My Tecnica's have a 12-13 degree forward lean.

I have a terrible time getting into my boots without warming them. I have a heated boot bag that helps. Using the directions I posted under the post about the Dalbello Lupo AX 105 I was able to get into them without warming them. My observation is they felt more narrow than I remember older boots feeling but they wrapped my entire foot nicely. There is no pressure on the top of my foot, the tongue lined up nicely over the top of my foot. There is no pressure on my bones and I didn't feel any space around my heel or toes. My toes do not touch the end of the shell when standing but the toe box doesn't feel spacious. When I flexed my boot I didn't feel any movement of my foot sliding into the back of the boot like boot fitters describe which could be due to my rigid arch. No heel lifting when I walked or flexed. It felt like my entire foot was supported by the boot.

How did the Hawx feel without the insoles and did the boot fitter do a shell fit?
I need to add that I have 30 ski days on these boots and normally by now the liner would be packing out and I'm starting to make adjustments. My other thought with these boots is when I first tried to put them on with the fitter I couldn't get into them. She heated the boots and I thought she did it so I could get into them. They were extremely hot to the touch. What I didn't realize was that heating the shells so hot allowed the shell to form better to my foot. When reading reviews of boots its often mentioned that the shell can be heated for more customization of the boot. I'm now wondering if that's why the fit feels so perfect.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It's been hard to compare what feels "best," because they fit so differently. The Nordicas feel the snuggest/best grip on my foot, but ultimately I think it's mostly the liner, not the shell, so that tells me a different liner may help in whatever boot I select. The Langes are definitely different than what I'm used to (never not had a pair of boots feel a little like cement blocks on my feet!), but the more I try the boots on, the more I think those are the ones I'll try. They are actually described as having a more natural stance than most race boots, but I believe they can be adjusted from 12-16*. The lower cuff is also different, but I'm intrigued to see if it skis better. I've often had ski boots that I felt like I could really lean into, as in, they would hold me up even when putting most of my weight forward into them. These feel a bit more like a performance type of fit? Like, it makes me think perhaps the taller boots have hindered some of the transfer of energy to the ski.

I did manage to get the custom footbeds into the Langes, but it mostly felt "off" - like it gave me too much lift under the heel to have my ankle sit properly within the boot's heel grip, but I suspect all of those sorts of issues can be addressed via proper fitting and potentially some customization.

The Hawx were very snug all over. My toe was touching the end (almost uncomfortably) and they didn't feel lose anywhere. My one concern was that they may start to feel too tight over along the instep. They weren't causing pain in the store, but there was enough pressure that I realized they might lead to tingly feet before too long. But if I'm keeping the Langes, it's sort of a moot point since the BSL is different.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been hard to compare what feels "best," because they fit so differently. The Nordicas feel the snuggest/best grip on my foot, but ultimately I think it's mostly the liner, not the shell, so that tells me a different liner may help in whatever boot I select. The Langes are definitely different than what I'm used to (never not had a pair of boots feel a little like cement blocks on my feet!), but the more I try the boots on, the more I think those are the ones I'll try. They are actually described as having a more natural stance than most race boots, but I believe they can be adjusted from 12-16*. The lower cuff is also different, but I'm intrigued to see if it skis better. I've often had ski boots that I felt like I could really lean into, as in, they would hold me up even when putting most of my weight forward into them. These feel a bit more like a performance type of fit? Like, it makes me think perhaps the taller boots have hindered some of the transfer of energy to the ski.

I did manage to get the custom footbeds into the Langes, but it mostly felt "off" - like it gave me too much lift under the heel to have my ankle sit properly within the boot's heel grip, but I suspect all of those sorts of issues can be addressed via proper fitting and potentially some customization.

The Hawx were very snug all over. My toe was touching the end (almost uncomfortably) and they didn't feel lose anywhere. My one concern was that they may start to feel too tight over along the instep. They weren't causing pain in the store, but there was enough pressure that I realized they might lead to tingly feet before too long. But if I'm keeping the Langes, it's sort of a moot point since the BSL is different.
Oh, and yes, the boot fitter did a shell fit. He was comfortable with them since I'm kind of the border between a 21.5 and a 22.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Final update: I went with the Langes! The more I tried on both the Langes and Nordicas I realized the Nordicas mostly fit "snugger" because of the liner and that once that packed out, I might be SOL. I was also intrigued by the weight and shorter cuff of the Lange and decided if I end up hating them, I now know what other cheaper boots I could try. I did add one last contender in - after discovering that the Atomics in a 22.5 weren't terrible, I tried ordering the Dalbello DRS in a 90 flex and a 22.5 (since the 70s had been a tad short and too soft, but the volume otherwise was good). Nope. The 90s crushed the top of my foot. So that quickly put me back to the Langes. I just had them heat molded this evening, picked up some bindings and left my skis off to be mounted.

For now, my biggest complaint is probably that I didn't do my boots first because it might have influenced my ski color choice. I've been on old Rossis since college and wanted to give Elans a try again and decided the Wildcat sounded like a good option for my typical ski day (mostly groomers, with the occasional off-piste or powder run). I opted for the 86 waist, and was satisfied with the hot pink topsheet. I really liked the purple sheet on the 82s, but that only came in the softer version, and while the stiffer 82s with the dark blue topsheet aren't bad, blue is just not a color I particularly like. Now, with these blue and bright-orange boots, lo and behold, either of those 82s would have probably looked better. But, for this season at least, here are the elements of the new set up, with each of the Wildcat colors included for comparison.
Lange.jpgLooks.jpgWildcats.jpg

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.rei.com/product/162767/dalbello-lupo-ax-105-w-alpine-touring-ski-boots-womens-20192020. (I don’t need to go AT, but if it makes sense to get in the right size, I can - unless there’s any particular reason not to? I’m waiting to get bindings until I land on a pair of boots)

I know you just posted that you got boots (hooray!), but FYI, these AT boots do not fit in alpine bindings. The soles are for a completely different binding (tech/pin bindings) -- you can see the holes at the toe.

And I didn't go through more than the first 4 pages of this thread...but have any of the boot hunters gotten custom insoles?

ETA: I would say the main reason not to get tech bindings for inbounds skiing is that they are really expensive. Way more expensive than alpine bindings. One brand claims to have a DIN-like setting, but traditionally, tech bindings don't have the same release as alpine bindings. (Very broadly speaking)

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know you just posted that you got boots (hooray!), but FYI, these AT boots do not fit in alpine bindings. The soles are for a completely different binding (tech/pin bindings) -- you can see the holes at the toe.

And I didn't go through more than the first 4 pages of this thread...but have any of the boot hunters gotten custom insoles?
Right, that's why I didn't buy bindings until I decided on a pair of boots.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Right, that's why I didn't buy bindings until I decided on a pair of boots.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For now, my biggest complaint is probably that I didn't do my boots first because it might have influenced my ski color choice. I've been on old Rossis since college and wanted to give Elans a try again and decided the Wildcat sounded like a good option for my typical ski day (mostly groomers, with the occasional off-piste or powder run). I opted for the 86 waist, and was satisfied with the hot pink topsheet. I really liked the purple sheet on the 82s, but that only came in the softer version, and while the stiffer 82s with the dark blue topsheet aren't bad, blue is just not a color I particularly like. Now, with these blue and bright-orange boots, lo and behold, either of those 82s would have probably looked better. But, for this season at least, here are the elements of the new set up, with each of the Wildcat colors included for comparison.
View attachment 14594View attachment 14595View attachment 14596
Congratulations on finding your boots! Blue, black and hot pink is a legitimate colour combination, and that pink looks like it is on the orange side so it's the same sort of tone. What jacket/pants/helmet combo do you have? I think there's a whole thread for this somewhere else...

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations on finding your boots! Blue, black and hot pink is a legitimate colour combination, and that pink looks like it is on the orange side so it's the same sort of tone. What jacket/pants/helmet combo do you have? I think there's a whole thread for this somewhere else...
That's what I thought when I ordered them, too, but the skis are pretty true pink. But the performance is the main thing, so hopefully I love them enough to not care if I'm clashy (or resell them next season). Hopefully I'll get to finally (I started this process in late November) use them in the next couple of weeks! I've also got new outerwear this year (thanks COVID weight): dark teal (leans a bit more green than blue) pants and a floral and striped jacket. I'll add a photo of the full set up on one of the other threads once I have my equipment back from the shop!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Final update: I went with the Langes! The more I tried on both the Langes and Nordicas I realized the Nordicas mostly fit "snugger" because of the liner and that once that packed out, I might be SOL. I was also intrigued by the weight and shorter cuff of the Lange and decided if I end up hating them, I now know what other cheaper boots I could try. I did add one last contender in - after discovering that the Atomics in a 22.5 weren't terrible, I tried ordering the Dalbello DRS in a 90 flex and a 22.5 (since the 70s had been a tad short and too soft, but the volume otherwise was good). Nope. The 90s crushed the top of my foot. So that quickly put me back to the Langes. I just had them heat molded this evening, picked up some bindings and left my skis off to be mounted.

View attachment 14594View attachment 14595View attachment 14596

Don’t get hung up on colors, that really shouldn’t influence your ski and boot purchases. Clothing sure, and I guess sometimes you can adjust which model year of a ski you buy if you like how one looks over another and there are no technical changes between them. Eventually you’ll probably be like many of is where you own a bunch of skis and there is no color coordination in that regard because it’s impossible to keep up with. :thumbsup:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don’t get hung up on colors, that really shouldn’t influence your ski and boot purchases. Clothing sure, and I guess sometimes you can adjust which model year of a ski you buy if you like how one looks over another and there are no technical changes between them. Eventually you’ll probably be like many of is where you own a bunch of skis and there is no color coordination in that regard because it’s impossible to keep up with. :thumbsup:

Literally nothing I own matches, and that includes my clothing. lol

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Considering that colour wasn't a factor for any of my skis, it's honestly astonishing how well my quiver matches right now!

quiver skis clothes.jpg

Can't say the same for my poles and clothes though - since there are always a ton of colour options with clothes, I obviously picked the colours I liked best and I've got a real theme going ;)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Considering that colour wasn't a factor for any of my skis, it's honestly astonishing how well my quiver matches right now!

View attachment 14612

Can't say the same for my poles and clothes though - since there are always a ton of colour options with clothes, I obviously picked the colours I liked best and I've got a real theme going ;)

Very nice and coordinated! Mine are soooooo all over the place. I will have to try and get a picture next time I’m with all of my stuff in one place.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m definitely prioritizing function, and hopefully love the Wildcats once I actually get to ski them! But I was excited to also find a ski I liked the looks of, because I used a friends hand-me down straight skis through all of high school and the never really loved my Rossi’s, but they were what was affordable and workable for me when I bought them in college, and then I just continued using them for the last... 16?! years, because they still skied fine enough for my 5 or so days each season. So I find it ironic that after being stoked to be able to take top sheet design into consideration, my skis are the most flashy part of my set up. We’ll see if I get to quiver status! And hopefully I eventually fit back into my pre-pandemic outerwear. Skis should be ready for pickup tomorrow!!

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 14612

Those Lines are so pretty!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Colour influences my decision about whether I will purchase gear at full price. If I'm going to pay full retail for something, then I need to be in love with everything about it, including the top sheet.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
i have the 21.5 RS 90 as well. i like the short cuff and extra stiffness from the racing model. My kids call them my blueberries ... and threaten to put stickers all over them to change the color.

However, they are awesome to ski in - just remember to buckle the top first and get the heel nice and snug and then do the bottoms.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i have the 21.5 RS 90 as well. i like the short cuff and extra stiffness from the racing model. My kids call them my blueberries ... and threaten to put stickers all over them to change the color.

However, they are awesome to ski in - just remember to buckle the top first and get the heel nice and snug and then do the bottoms.
I still haven't had a chance to ski them yet (darn work and weather getting in my way!). I have already flagged just in trying them on that I might want a bit more snugness in the heel pocket, specifically, I feel like want them to grip my achilles a bit more, but the bootfitter I went to wanted me to ski in them a few days before we consider a butterfly pad. I'll be sure to try buckling from the top down and see if it's a noticeable difference (I don't know that I'm currently consistent with which I buckle first, but I usually start all loose and then go back and tighten).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna