• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Ski recommendations for intermediate in the PNW

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello,

I took advice from my last post and got some boots before looking for new skis. I settled on a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 95s. They're not perfect but they've already made a huge difference compared to rental options so thanks for that suggestion.

I am 5'8" (172 cm) and about 125 lbs and would categorize myself as a level 6 skier based on this site (https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/ability-levels). I ski and the PNW and I can ski all blues comfortably and have ventured onto a few black diamond runs. I also like to dip into the trees a bit. My goal for next year is to ski all blacks comfortably and ski some double blacks. I also like to do some jumps off of natural features and take a few laps in the terrain park if conditions aren't great. So about 50% on-piste/35% off-piste/15% park skiing.

Skis I've Tried

Based on the few skis I've tried, I really enjoy a ski that is a bit heavier and feels stable. These

Salomon QST Myriad 85 (161 cm) - I had a lot of fun on this ski. It felt stable and was easy to lay over, get a high edge angle and make some large turns. If I could find a used one in 169 length would get it as a designated carving ski,

Rossignol Smasher (92 mm width; 160 & 170 cm length) - I found these skis to be very easy to carve but unstable. I didn't like how unstable they were in variable snow. I took the 160 cm skis on a black which was pretty sketchy haha. I enjoyed the 170 cm length much more because I could finish a carving turn instead of skidding but the ski still felt very unstable at speed.

Atomic Maven 93 (165 cm?) - I didn't like this ski very much. It was super light and didn't feel stable. I hated skiing through the crud and uneven snow. I think the 172 length would have been ore stable but the weight is probably more of the issue.

Rossignol Experience 80 (158 cm) - This ski felt very short to me and confirmed I might want something 165-170 cm

Options​

I wanted to get some feedback from women because I heard about/been suggested a lot of skis by men but I figured people here have actually tried them so I wanted to get some input. I'm gravitating towards skis that are mid 90s in width. I think wider would be less fun to carve, and I wonder if I really need that wide of a ski to float reasonably well. Regardless, these are the skis I've been considering, in order of interest.

Ranger 94 FR 171 cm- Seems to check all my boxes but pretty difficult to find in the right length. I would probably ski the 170 cm length, which has an actual width of 92 mm?

Rossi Black Ops (98mm) Blazer/Holyshred 170cm- This has been on my short list because people have mentioned it's a good carver but is also a twin tip. Possibly on the wider end for me.

Black Crows Camox Birdie (97mm) 174 cm - Described to me as a twin tip that also carves, but was also described as on the "softer end".

Blizzard Sheeva 9 - Has been recommended to me by men but I also wonder if that's because it's one of the more well known women's skis?

Liberty Origin/Genesis 96 - I don't know much about this brand, but seems affordable and fits my needs

Salomon QST 92 - Another safe choice I guess?

Volkl Secret 96 - Possibly too heavy for the few park laps I do.

K2 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance - seems like a good fit because I've read it's more approachable than the Santa Ana so it could be okay off jumps.

Salomon QST 99 - probably a safe choice but I'm not sure how this would do in the park.

Elan Ripstick 94 - I've read this ski is not great in crud.

Nordica Santa Ana 93 - probably not great in the trees or park.

Thanks for reading!
I'm in the PNW! I like a wider ski for off piste skiing. The Sheeva 10s are awesome - perhaps the Sheeva 9s would be too! I liked the Volkl Yumis on piste, but they sink in powder and chatter if you get going too fast off piste.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna