• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Ski recommendations for intermediate in the PNW

steezeling

Certified Ski Diva
Hello,

I took advice from my last post and got some boots before looking for new skis. I settled on a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 95s. They're not perfect but they've already made a huge difference compared to rental options so thanks for that suggestion.

I am 5'8" (172 cm) and about 125 lbs and would categorize myself as a level 6 skier based on this site (https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/ability-levels). I ski and the PNW and I can ski all blues comfortably and have ventured onto a few black diamond runs. I also like to dip into the trees a bit. My goal for next year is to ski all blacks comfortably and ski some double blacks. I also like to do some jumps off of natural features and take a few laps in the terrain park if conditions aren't great. So about 50% on-piste/35% off-piste/15% park skiing.

Skis I've Tried

Based on the few skis I've tried, I really enjoy a ski that is a bit heavier and feels stable. These

Salomon QST Myriad 85 (161 cm) - I had a lot of fun on this ski. It felt stable and was easy to lay over, get a high edge angle and make some large turns. If I could find a used one in 169 length would get it as a designated carving ski,

Rossignol Smasher (92 mm width; 160 & 170 cm length) - I found these skis to be very easy to carve but unstable. I didn't like how unstable they were in variable snow. I took the 160 cm skis on a black which was pretty sketchy haha. I enjoyed the 170 cm length much more because I could finish a carving turn instead of skidding but the ski still felt very unstable at speed.

Atomic Maven 93 (165 cm?) - I didn't like this ski very much. It was super light and didn't feel stable. I hated skiing through the crud and uneven snow. I think the 172 length would have been ore stable but the weight is probably more of the issue.

Rossignol Experience 80 (158 cm) - This ski felt very short to me and confirmed I might want something 165-170 cm

Options​

I wanted to get some feedback from women because I heard about/been suggested a lot of skis by men but I figured people here have actually tried them so I wanted to get some input. I'm gravitating towards skis that are mid 90s in width. I think wider would be less fun to carve, and I wonder if I really need that wide of a ski to float reasonably well. Regardless, these are the skis I've been considering, in order of interest.

Ranger 94 FR 171 cm- Seems to check all my boxes but pretty difficult to find in the right length. I would probably ski the 170 cm length, which has an actual width of 92 mm?

Rossi Black Ops (98mm) Blazer/Holyshred 170cm- This has been on my short list because people have mentioned it's a good carver but is also a twin tip. Possibly on the wider end for me.

Black Crows Camox Birdie (97mm) 174 cm - Described to me as a twin tip that also carves, but was also described as on the "softer end".

Blizzard Sheeva 9 - Has been recommended to me by men but I also wonder if that's because it's one of the more well known women's skis?

Liberty Origin/Genesis 96 - I don't know much about this brand, but seems affordable and fits my needs

Salomon QST 92 - Another safe choice I guess?

Volkl Secret 96 - Possibly too heavy for the few park laps I do.

K2 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance - seems like a good fit because I've read it's more approachable than the Santa Ana so it could be okay off jumps.

Salomon QST 99 - probably a safe choice but I'm not sure how this would do in the park.

Elan Ripstick 94 - I've read this ski is not great in crud.

Nordica Santa Ana 93 - probably not great in the trees or park.

Thanks for reading!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So question - have you tried a true freestyle/park ski yet? Or something more center-mounted? They can feel very different if you're not used to them. Mainly in that they usually prefer a more neutral stance vs. a forward stance. All those skis you've tried so far are pretty directional I think. The Black Ops 98 is a more center-mounted ski, and Blister said it's better for advanced-expert levels since it can feel punishing in firm/rough snow. If you've never tried a center-mounted ski, you might aim for something more progressive (roughly 5-8 cm from center).

I can personally vouch for the Liberty Genesis. I'm 5'1" (155cm) & 115lbs. I have the 101 in length 158 and it is a fantastic ski, but it does ski short. I got it for tight terrain so 158 works for me, but for all-mountain use 165 would've been better. So at your stats, I'd probably recommend sizing up to the Origin in length 176. I think the Genesis tops out at 171 and that will probably be too short for you. With the VMT they added this year, it carves surprisingly well on firmer snow. You could get the 96 width if the 101 worries you, but I personally haven't had any trouble carving the 101 and the extra width feels great in spring slush and roughed up soft groomers. Thick sidewalls make them damp underfoot (more damp than my Dictators in fact), but they also have a light swing weight and feel nicely springy underfoot in bumps. In soft snow, they are a dream - float really well for their width, and can either surf or blast through piles of soft chop depending on your mood. I've had a lot of fun hitting small side hits on them.

Other skis in the all-mountain freestyle category to consider are the Moment Sierra, Armada ARV 96 Ti (they don't make a women's version with titanal, but the men's lengths should work for you and the metal will add dampening and stability), and maybe the Faction CT or Prodigy (although they're mounted closer to center). The Fischer Ranger would probably work well too. I think the Sheeva 9 might feel too short at your stats, as it also skis short and chatters at high speeds. I think the Secret, SA, and Mindbender are all more directional skis - check their mount points. Directional skis are usually 9-11 cm from center.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello,

I took advice from my last post and got some boots before looking for new skis. I settled on a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 95s. They're not perfect but they've already made a huge difference compared to rental options so thanks for that suggestion.

I am 5'8" (172 cm) and about 125 lbs and would categorize myself as a level 6 skier based on this site (https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-trip/lessons/ability-levels). I ski and the PNW and I can ski all blues comfortably and have ventured onto a few black diamond runs. I also like to dip into the trees a bit. My goal for next year is to ski all blacks comfortably and ski some double blacks. I also like to do some jumps off of natural features and take a few laps in the terrain park if conditions aren't great. So about 50% on-piste/35% off-piste/15% park skiing.

Skis I've Tried

Based on the few skis I've tried, I really enjoy a ski that is a bit heavier and feels stable. These

Salomon QST Myriad 85 (161 cm) - I had a lot of fun on this ski. It felt stable and was easy to lay over, get a high edge angle and make some large turns. If I could find a used one in 169 length would get it as a designated carving ski,

Rossignol Smasher (92 mm width; 160 & 170 cm length) - I found these skis to be very easy to carve but unstable. I didn't like how unstable they were in variable snow. I took the 160 cm skis on a black which was pretty sketchy haha. I enjoyed the 170 cm length much more because I could finish a carving turn instead of skidding but the ski still felt very unstable at speed.

Atomic Maven 93 (165 cm?) - I didn't like this ski very much. It was super light and didn't feel stable. I hated skiing through the crud and uneven snow. I think the 172 length would have been ore stable but the weight is probably more of the issue.

Rossignol Experience 80 (158 cm) - This ski felt very short to me and confirmed I might want something 165-170 cm

Options​

I wanted to get some feedback from women because I heard about/been suggested a lot of skis by men but I figured people here have actually tried them so I wanted to get some input. I'm gravitating towards skis that are mid 90s in width. I think wider would be less fun to carve, and I wonder if I really need that wide of a ski to float reasonably well. Regardless, these are the skis I've been considering, in order of interest.

Ranger 94 FR 171 cm- Seems to check all my boxes but pretty difficult to find in the right length. I would probably ski the 170 cm length, which has an actual width of 92 mm?

Rossi Black Ops (98mm) Blazer/Holyshred 170cm- This has been on my short list because people have mentioned it's a good carver but is also a twin tip. Possibly on the wider end for me.

Black Crows Camox Birdie (97mm) 174 cm - Described to me as a twin tip that also carves, but was also described as on the "softer end".

Blizzard Sheeva 9 - Has been recommended to me by men but I also wonder if that's because it's one of the more well known women's skis?

Liberty Origin/Genesis 96 - I don't know much about this brand, but seems affordable and fits my needs

Salomon QST 92 - Another safe choice I guess?

Volkl Secret 96 - Possibly too heavy for the few park laps I do.

K2 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance - seems like a good fit because I've read it's more approachable than the Santa Ana so it could be okay off jumps.

Salomon QST 99 - probably a safe choice but I'm not sure how this would do in the park.

Elan Ripstick 94 - I've read this ski is not great in crud.

Nordica Santa Ana 93 - probably not great in the trees or park.

Thanks for reading!
Did some more research and the Salomon QST 98 and Santa Ana 98 both have mount points ~8 cm back from center. QST 98 has more rocker than SA, so you could probably do 176 for the QST and 172 for SA. There's also the QST Lux 92 - couldn't find mount point for this one, but eyeballing it, it looks similar to the 98 aka not super directional. Both of these are likely to be great all-mountain/freeride skis with more of an emphasis on stability over lightness.

Coalition SOS is another all-mountain ski with a mount point closer to center. It's a HEAVY ski though - not necessarily swing weight underfoot since it's got a lot of rocker, but more carrying-it-up-the-mountain heavy. Core is birch (heavy and dense) = good damping, but not super energetic.

Kristin Sinnott from Blister wrote a Flash Review on the Moment Sierra that was a really good description of what a more center-mounted ski can feel like to a more directional skier.

"While the Sierra felt very maneuverable and allowed for quick and easy turns, it didn’t track well and it didn’t feel stable, precise, or supportive. In fact, they terrified me on steeps or when I started to go fast. The only way I can describe them was that it felt like I was on a long pair of snowblades. The skis wobbled underneath me when I was trying to set an edge in the steeps and they weren’t predictable by any means.

What I started to realize was that I was having a hard time flexing them and getting them on edge, based on the more centered (-5 cm) mount point and my lack of confidence. And if I wasn’t getting the ski to bend, the camber under my foot wasn’t really coming into contact with the snow when I really needed it to. I’m embarrassed to say it took me four days to realize that I needed to adjust the mount point by moving the binding further back (about a cm). Since it was mounted with demo bindings, it was a quick adjustment and the very next run was way more enjoyable than any runs over the previous four days. A simple adjustment to the mount point made all the difference.

My first run on my newly adjusted Sierra was off piste in some fairly soft snow with well-spaced-out, medium-sized moguls. I had always found it easy to pivot the Sierra, but now that the mount point was more aligned with my stance, I was able to bend the ski better. And bending the ski meant I could get the edges under my feet to dig into the snow and the Sierra now felt extremely stable and precise. There was no more wobble or weird skipping halfway through the turn. The ski was easy to pivot, easy to release the edge, and I no longer needed to worry about whether the edge would hold through the turn. With each run on the ski, my confidence level increased, and the more I enjoyed them."

steezeling

Certified Ski Diva
So question - have you tried a true freestyle/park ski yet? Or something more center-mounted? They can feel very different if you're not used to them. Mainly in that they usually prefer a more neutral stance vs. a forward stance. All those skis you've tried so far are pretty directional I think. The Black Ops 98 is a more center-mounted ski, and Blister said it's better for advanced-expert levels since it can feel punishing in firm/rough snow. If you've never tried a center-mounted ski, you might aim for something more progressive (roughly 5-8 cm from center).

I can personally vouch for the Liberty Genesis. I'm 5'1" (155cm) & 115lbs. I have the 101 in length 158 and it is a fantastic ski, but it does ski short. I got it for tight terrain so 158 works for me, but for all-mountain use 165 would've been better. So at your stats, I'd probably recommend sizing up to the Origin in length 176. I think the Genesis tops out at 171 and that will probably be too short for you. With the VMT they added this year, it carves surprisingly well on firmer snow. You could get the 96 width if the 101 worries you, but I personally haven't had any trouble carving the 101 and the extra width feels great in spring slush and roughed up soft groomers. Thick sidewalls make them damp underfoot (more damp than my Dictators in fact), but they also have a light swing weight and feel nicely springy underfoot in bumps. In soft snow, they are a dream - float really well for their width, and can either surf or blast through piles of soft chop depending on your mood. I've had a lot of fun hitting small side hits on them.

Other skis in the all-mountain freestyle category to consider are the Moment Sierra, Armada ARV 96 Ti (they don't make a women's version with titanal, but the men's lengths should work for you and the metal will add dampening and stability), and maybe the Faction CT or Prodigy (although they're mounted closer to center). The Fischer Ranger would probably work well too. I think the Sheeva 9 might feel too short at your stats, as it also skis short and chatters at high speeds. I think the Secret, SA, and Mindbender are all more directional skis - check their mount points. Directional skis are usually 9-11 cm from center.
Nope, I haven't skied a true freestyle/park ski so I'm not sure how that feels. The Smasher is probably a little more progressive but I can't find any actually data on the mount point.

I looked up the Black Ops Blazer mount point and it -4.7 cm, definitely more progressive like you said. Especially compared to the ultra-directional Secret 96, which has a mount point of -11 cm. I'm a little confused about the Blazer because I've read people describe it as accessible to intermediates (SkiEssentials review) but also more in the advanced/expert category.

I just read your post on the Blister review; it definitely gives me a better sense of what a center mount would feel like. I wonder if I can just ask to get my bindings mounted further back on the Blazer, but maybe that's overkill when there are other options out there.

I really wish more websites posted rocker information as a percentage of ski length!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kristin Sinnott from Blister wrote a Flash Review on the Moment Sierra that was a really good description of what a more center-mounted ski can feel like to a more directional skier.

With each run on the ski, my confidence level increased, and the more I enjoyed them."
@chasinghorizons not being privy to the flash reviews, what was her final take on the Sierras?

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, I haven't skied a true freestyle/park ski so I'm not sure how that feels. The Smasher is probably a little more progressive but I can't find any actually data on the mount point.

I looked up the Black Ops Blazer mount point and it -4.7 cm, definitely more progressive like you said. Especially compared to the ultra-directional Secret 96, which has a mount point of -11 cm. I'm a little confused about the Blazer because I've read people describe it as accessible to intermediates (SkiEssentials review) but also more in the advanced/expert category.

I just read your post on the Blister review; it definitely gives me a better sense of what a center mount would feel like. I wonder if I can just ask to get my bindings mounted further back on the Blazer, but maybe that's overkill when there are other options out there.

I really wish more websites posted rocker information as a percentage of ski length!
So when you hit the park, are you doing spins, tricks & skiing switch? Or are you just going off jumps? If you're not throwing tricks, you don't really need a center-mounted ski. Progressive-mounted skis will go off jumps and feel just fine.

Not sure about the Blazer/Holyshred, but Jonathan Ellsworth (Blister) moved the mount point on the Gamer back to -5.5 cm and said it felt right for him. He's a very directional skier, and the Gamer is the larger version of the Holyshred, so it could work. Maybe try calling Rossignol and see what they say? Also the Holyshred has been toned down over time, which is why some reviews might conflict. Per Rossignol rep, it used to be really beefy, but they've now made it more accessible.

I know, I wish every manufacturer posted info on rocker and mount points! It's annoying to try and track that info down - sometimes the fastest way is to just call the companies directly. I've def had good conversations with Liberty and Moment, and all the ppl I've spoken to have been great about listening and giving advice on what might work best, rather than just selling a product.

@chasinghorizons not being privy to the flash reviews, what was her final take on the Sierras?
Started to really like them once she moved the mount point back, but still needs more time on them to give a full opinion. Full Review will have more info.

Last edited:

steezeling

Certified Ski Diva
So when you hit the park, are you doing spins, tricks & skiing switch? Or are you just going off jumps? If you're not throwing tricks, you don't really need a center-mounted ski. Progressive-mounted skis will go off jumps and feel just fine.

Not sure about the Blazer/Holyshred, but Jonathan Ellsworth (Blister) moved the mount point on the Gamer back to -5.5 cm and said it felt right for him. He's a very directional skier, and the Gamer is the larger version of the Holyshred, so it could work. Maybe try calling Rossignol and see what they say? Also the Holyshred has been toned down over time, which is why some reviews might conflict. Per Rossignol rep, it used to be really beefy, but they've now made it more accessible.

I know, I wish every manufacturer posted info on rocker and mount points! It's annoying to try and track that info down - sometimes the fastest way is to just call the companies directly. I've def had good conversations with Liberty and Moment, and all the ppl I've spoken to have been great about listening and giving advice on what might work best, rather than just selling a product.

Started to really like them once she moved the mount point back, but still needs more time on them to give a full opinion. Full Review will have more info.
I'm just hitting jumps right now but I want to work in spins and switch skiing next season. So progressive works for me.

Thanks for the tip on just calling Rossignol. I've tried to talk to people at ski shops, but they're obviously limited to selling the skis that they have on hand, so I don't feel that I get unbiased info.

I am little worried about going too long on the Sheevas/Rustlers. The 170 cm Smashers also have a lot of tip rocker so maybe 172 is enough ski.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just hitting jumps right now but I want to work in spins and switch skiing next season. So progressive works for me.

Thanks for the tip on just calling Rossignol. I've tried to talk to people at ski shops, but they're obviously limited to selling the skis that they have on hand, so I don't feel that I get unbiased info.

I am little worried about going too long on the Sheevas/Rustlers. The 170 cm Smashers also have a lot of tip rocker so maybe 172 is enough ski.
Yea the quality of advice I've gotten from people at ski shops has been hmmm mixed, to say the least. Some people are mainly snowboarders and should not be giving ski advice, many only know what feels good to them and don't know anything about construction, or why something feels the way it does. Some people are great!

In terms of length, I think it depends on whether you want a ski that feels good right now, or something you can grow into. Are you more of a cautious or aggressive skier? If you like to go fast, sizing up will feel a lot better pretty quickly. I spent all of the 20/21 season on Rossignol Stargazers in length 154 and I loved them at the time, they were stable up until roughly 35-40 mph, but started feeling shaky above that. Then this season I switched to Dictator 2.0x's in 155, which have about 9 cm more effective edge, and they blew my socks off with how stable and awesome they were... then like a month later I got the Dictator 3.0x in 164 and again I lost my socks with how fun and stable they were (someone plz send socks!). It did take me several days to fully adjust to the longer length of the 3.0s, plus the Dictators are not an easy ski, but I am really liking them a lot now that I've gotten used to them. I now wish I had gotten my 2.0s in the longer length, and I could probably have gotten the Genesis 101 in 165 as well (sadly I got both of these skis just within the past few months).

Before I got the Genesis, I chatted with Renee McCurdy on IG. She's a freeride skier who skis both the Genesis and the Origin. She's 5'6" and uses the Genesis 101 in length 171 as her park & groomer ski, and the Origin 112 in length 176 as her all-mountain ski. If you go with a stiffer, more solid ski like the SA, staying around 170 is probably fine but for the Sheeva/Rustler/Genesis/Origin, you will probably be a lot happier sizing up. I measured the effective edge on my husband's Origin 106 in length 176, and it was only 100 cm! (the 96 will have more edge than the 106, but still! It gives you an idea).

I wouldn't infer too much on length from your experience on the Rossi Smasher 170. That's technically a junior ski, meant more for teenagers who will grow out of it quickly. It doesn't have the same high-end construction as skis meant for adults. I know because some ski shop idiot put my 6'/180 lb dad on it in the 180 and he wasted a whole demo day like that -_- (we later pushed him into trying the 184 Volkl M6 - he was convinced it would be too long for his skill level - and he LOVED it, he actually wrote an ode about it to us after his first day on it).

steezeling

Certified Ski Diva
Yea the quality of advice I've gotten from people at ski shops has been hmmm mixed, to say the least. Some people are mainly snowboarders and should not be giving ski advice, many only know what feels good to them and don't know anything about construction, or why something feels the way it does. Some people are great!

In terms of length, I think it depends on whether you want a ski that feels good right now, or something you can grow into. Are you more of a cautious or aggressive skier? If you like to go fast, sizing up will feel a lot better pretty quickly. I spent all of the 20/21 season on Rossignol Stargazers in length 154 and I loved them at the time, they were stable up until roughly 35-40 mph, but started feeling shaky above that. Then this season I switched to Dictator 2.0x's in 155, which have about 9 cm more effective edge, and they blew my socks off with how stable and awesome they were... then like a month later I got the Dictator 3.0x in 164 and again I lost my socks with how fun and stable they were (someone plz send socks!). It did take me several days to fully adjust to the longer length of the 3.0s, plus the Dictators are not an easy ski, but I am really liking them a lot now that I've gotten used to them. I now wish I had gotten my 2.0s in the longer length, and I could probably have gotten the Genesis 101 in 165 as well (sadly I got both of these skis just within the past few months).

Before I got the Genesis, I chatted with Renee McCurdy on IG. She's a freeride skier who skis both the Genesis and the Origin. She's 5'6" and uses the Genesis 101 in length 171 as her park & groomer ski, and the Origin 112 in length 176 as her all-mountain ski. If you go with a stiffer, more solid ski like the SA, staying around 170 is probably fine but for the Sheeva/Rustler/Genesis/Origin, you will probably be a lot happier sizing up. I measured the effective edge on my husband's Origin 106 in length 176, and it was only 100 cm! (the 96 will have more edge than the 106, but still! It gives you an idea).

I wouldn't infer too much on length from your experience on the Rossi Smasher 170. That's technically a junior ski, meant more for teenagers who will grow out of it quickly. It doesn't have the same high-end construction as skis meant for adults. I know because some ski shop idiot put my 6'/180 lb dad on it in the 180 and he wasted a whole demo day like that -_- (we later pushed him into trying the 184 Volkl M6 - he was convinced it would be too long for his skill level - and he LOVED it, he actually wrote an ode about it to us after his first day on it).
I definitely see your point about growing into something.

I like to go fast but only when my skis feel stable. I generally don't keep up with my friends on the Smashers but I remember being surprised when I demo'd the Volkl Secrets at how much more speed I could comfortably tolerate. I also had a night pass so I was primarily skiing wet, heavy, tracked out snow and feeling the full effects of that on the Smashers.

A 180lb person on the Smashers!? I'm surprised the skis didn't fold in half! I really wish shops would put people on well-made skis, even if it's just for 20 minutes so they can feel and understand the difference. It matters so much for accurate self-assessment. For a while I didn't think I was a very good skier because I felt every bump when skiing on rentals in a 104 mm last boot and I would have to work really hard to keeps the skis from wandering. But I think that's just because I'm relatively lighter weight so skiing on crud would just push me around more, especially on a rockered 160 cm ski - so I really focused on my technique. The upside is that now that I have more appropriate gear, people comment on my good form and think I've been skiing much longer than I have!

Do you happen to know much about the Ranger 94 FR? I've been debating the 177 cm length but it is likely stiffer than the Sheeva so 171cm might be more appropriate.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely see your point about growing into something.

I like to go fast but only when my skis feel stable. I generally don't keep up with my friends on the Smashers but I remember being surprised when I demo'd the Volkl Secrets at how much more speed I could comfortably tolerate. I also had a night pass so I was primarily skiing wet, heavy, tracked out snow and feeling the full effects of that on the Smashers.

A 180lb person on the Smashers!? I'm surprised the skis didn't fold in half! I really wish shops would put people on well-made skis, even if it's just for 20 minutes so they can feel and understand the difference. It matters so much for accurate self-assessment. For a while I didn't think I was a very good skier because I felt every bump when skiing on rentals in a 104 mm last boot and I would have to work really hard to keeps the skis from wandering. But I think that's just because I'm relatively lighter weight so skiing on crud would just push me around more, especially on a rockered 160 cm ski - so I really focused on my technique. The upside is that now that I have more appropriate gear, people comment on my good form and think I've been skiing much longer than I have!

Do you happen to know much about the Ranger 94 FR? I've been debating the 177 cm length but it is likely stiffer than the Sheeva so 171cm might be more appropriate.
At your weight and skill level, I'd go 171 for the Ranger. The Ranger 94 is pretty stiff, so you might have trouble bending the 177 and it would probably feel rather punishing at this point in your advancement. The Sheeva has much softer tips and tails and a deeper rocker line, which is why I recommended sizing up for that one. Keep in mind too, the Ranger isn't super heavy so it's probably not going to feel as plush as the Secret either. Blister wrote a Full Review of it, if you haven't read it already I recommend checking it out.

*Edit to say the 2022 model. Fischer made the skis "more accessible" for 2023, so hard to say for those. I'd still lean towards 171 considering your weight, but eventually you may want something longer.

Last edited:

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should also add, I don't think the Sheeva/Rustler will be great in the park. I had the Sheeva 10 in 156 for awhile, and it was too short and too planted for me. All the metal is concentrated in the middle of the ski, and that made it feel allergic to air. The metal is more stretched out in the Sheeva 9 so it might not feel as heavy underfoot as the 10, but I still doubt it'll feel as good as the Genesis/Origin for park stuff.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In terms of the skis you have listed, here are my thoughts in context of the type of skiing you do and the skis I've personally been on (I'm 5'2" and 116lb). I'm highly biased towards stiff skis though - my daily is the 2019 Kenja which some women feel is a plank and I think is a tank.
Obviously there's a bit of a trade off in terms of carving with wider skis often needing a bit more help to get on edge which usually translates into a ski that is easier to float in powder and off-piste where you might need to smear more than carve. Same with stiffness vs "pop" and "playfulness" for park. It sounds like the QST currently sits over on the piste side really nicely for you, but I don't think you'll necessarily get better park performance from the 92 or 99 (maybe better float for off piste) given what other reviews have suggested.

Black Crows Camox Birdie (97mm): I skiied the 2020 version in Japan on the day after a heavy pow day so can't really speak to their carving ability. They are softer and float a bit, which means less going "through" tracked up stuff and a bit more bouncing over, but very easy to smear a turn on. If you value stiffness, they probably aren't the ski to be on, but you may want to demo yourself as it might hit that sweet spot as an all mountain ski. I'm pretty sure one of my friends has them as her only pair and loves them, and she is much more keen on park than me.

Blizzard Sheeva 9: Demoed 2021 version and it definitely smears nicely, and is very turny. I didn't like this ski, but it was a very early season solid day. I got zero air on it, I think it prefers to be on the ground.

SA93: You technically CAN get air, but it's not the ski that's gonna fly off every side hit. Stiffer than the Sheeva for sure and a bit more work to turn. I've skied the full titanal and the 2021 single titanal versions, and both are very confidence inspiring in crud.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I ended up snagging a pair of Fischer Ranger 102s on sale (with free returns!). I'm a bit worried about the width...my knees don't hurt (yet) so I'm doing some more research. Most people on these message boards seem to use a mid 90 for mixed west coast skiing.
Congrats on the new skis! Excited to hear how you like them!

I seriously wouldn't worry about knee pain on 102s. I am 5'1" and the skis I used most last season are 106mm wide, I used them on everything. My knees never hurt. Not saying they were the best on hard groomers, but the extra stability of the Dictators on steep slopes was, for me, well worth the width.

I also just bought 112mm wide chargey pow skis, and I don't anticipate sore knees with them either. If you haven't had lots of knee injuries or a knee replacement, I think you'll be fine.

You could get more than one pair of skis and start a quiver...
+1 for quivers, you can get one ski that sort of does everything ok, or multiple skis that are great for their specific purpose/conditions. I vote to maximize enjoyment!

Last edited:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know that I really make enough to justify that but at these prices......
Im definately a one ski quiver gal ..... if I had more than one ski I'd be overthinking my choice for the day (ie have I brought the right ski with me today or should I have brought the the other ones !!), if I've only got one ski then I HAVE to make it work.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know that I really make enough to justify that but at these prices......
I look at like this:

1) Prices are likely going to go up significantly next year, on everything. Global supply chain issues continue, plus the fire at the Ukraine factory... take advantage of summer sales now!
2) You can trade in old skis or skis that you don't like at Powder 7 and recoup a significant portion of the cost (or sell them to other divas). See thread for details: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/powder7s-ski-trade-in-program.27588/

Im definately a one ski quiver gal ..... if I had more than one ski I'd be overthinking my choice for the day (ie have I brought the right ski with me today or should I have brought the the other ones !!), if I've only got one ski then I HAVE to make it work.
Can you bring more than one pair and just choose when you get to the mountain? Or if you park close, trade em out at lunch time?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I look at like this:

1) Prices are likely going to go up significantly next year, on everything. Global supply chain issues continue, plus the fire at the Ukraine factory... take advantage of summer sales now!
2) You can trade in old skis or skis that you don't like at Powder 7 and recoup a significant portion of the cost (or sell them to other divas). See thread for details: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/powder7s-ski-trade-in-program.27588/

Can you bring more than one pair and just choose when you get to the mountain? Or if you park close, trade em out at lunch time?
I possibly could, the few days I've had down here in NZ this season have been groomers only due to a rather evil rain crust off piste (I tried to get some of the bigger guys to go out there and bust it up but even they gave up :laughter:) and my new Sheevas have exceeded my expectations on the harder snow so I'm super happy about that. If I was lucky enough to go Heli Skiing this year I would just rent a wider powder ski and if I was to get another ski it would probably be a touring ski so I could join hubby and his friends on their adventures. I always regret not buying an ex demo touring set up that was available a few seasons ago at our local ski shop for $500 NZD :cry:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna